Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Awning has a tear in it

We just picked up this brand new 2017 312BHDS Freedom Express LE last Friday. I noticed today that the awning has a split approx 3 inches or so in it that runs parallel to the trailer. I am also seeing water running down the side. I assume I have to bring the trailer into the dealer to have them look at it. 1 week old, seriously.
d50erock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Didn't run the awning out during pdi?

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #3

Yes but I didn't see a tear then.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #4

My advice: Run the awning out and take photos, lots of photos from all angles, particularly any that will show the tear. If you can, get someone to hold a ruler next to the tear to show how long it is, and how far from the mounting point on the unit. Save these photos to a file or better yet print each one for your records. Contact the dealer's service department and tell them what you have found and offer to send photos via email. I had someone run into my less than six week old camper last year, a hit and run at a campground. I took photos immediately showing the damage, the area I was parked in, etc. The photos really helped with my insurance company and the repair center at the selling dealer who is 90+ miles away.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #5

My TT had an awning tear while it was under warranty. I took a few photos and sent them to the dealer two thousand miles away. The dealer arranged for a new awning and a local company to do the install.
Steveinthehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #6

Photos are your best friends. The dealer where I purchased my TT requires photos of everything when I am requesting warranty work. Also, the photos allow my dealer to submit for pre-approval for a number of the repairs my TT has needed so I can just take the TT in, have the repair(s) done while I wait, and take the TT back home, eliminating the back/forth of dropping off/picking the TT up, which is not a good use of my time or resources.
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:54 AM   #7

I sent them 1 picture of the slice from underneith the awning on Friday. I will contact them today to see if they looked at the picture or would like more.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
My advice: Run the awning out and take photos, lots of photos from all angles, particularly any that will show the tear. If you can, get someone to hold a ruler next to the tear to show how long it is, and how far from the mounting point on the unit. Save these photos to a file or better yet print each one for your records. Contact the dealer's service department and tell them what you have found and offer to send photos via email. I had someone run into my less than six week old camper last year, a hit and run at a campground. I took photos immediately showing the damage, the area I was parked in, etc. The photos really helped with my insurance company and the repair center at the selling dealer who is 90+ miles away.
I couldn't believe what I just read a HIT and RUN at the CG. He didn't leave a note or anything? You meet all kind of folks, did he do alot of damage?... Now that's another first for me.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #9

This was a camping area at a car show. All lots are parallel to each other. Four campers per pole, electric and water. Pay as you enter, no records of who comes in or where they park. It was taking hard so my friend's and I just parked and went inside. Late that evening Bill goes out for a smoke. He opens the door and tells me that I need to come look at something. I go out, in the rain, and there's an old Greyhound bus parked at a bit of an angle with the left front of the bus very close to my unit just in front of my slide. You can see his tire tracks and that he had been sliding. The next morning at 7a.m. it's gone. So he may not have liked the rain. We wait, the rain stops and we go in the car show. Later that day we come back to my TT, go inside to rest a bit. Bill goes for another smoke. He opens the door and tells me "You better come look at this". When I go to the other side there is an 8 1/2" crack in the sidewall of my three week old TT just at the height his big headlight trim ring could be. I took lots of photos contacted the campground people to show them. They had no record of who may have been there. Fortunately I had a insurance rider to cover damages when I was not hooked to the truck. The selling dealer, Mid-State RV, did an excellent job on the repair to the tune of $3600. After all was over I told Bill not to go walking around when he takes a smoke. 😂

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #10

Quick update: Called the dealer today. The service guy said he had sent off the picture of the damage to the warranty guy and that person has sent it off the Forrest river's warranty dept. The service guy did mention that they will most likely come back saying I caused the damage due to the location of where the slice is, but the dealership will back up my claim that it happened prior to me taking delivery of the trailer and was missed. I was impressed with that statement. So I will wait and see.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #11

If my memory serves me, at the time I made my claim regarding the tear in our awning I believe the dealership had experienced several other claims regarding tears in awings on other TT's in the same location. Good luck
Steveinthehills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning