Old 03-13-2016, 09:26 PM   #11
Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
I've installed a disconnect switch on every RV I've owned since the early 70s. Can't figure out how anyone gets along without one.

2013 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Tuned
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #12
Just had one installed on my new Salem cruise lite. It's so nice to know that when I go to check on it in storage about every month, that I can turn on lights,etc. with out worrying whether or not the batteries are dead. Otherwise the batteries would be gone in about 2 weeks sitting in storage. I had the dealer install it on the trailer tongue near the two batteries.

"It is what it is!

2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:55 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant
I don't see why it would NOT be a good idea.:what:
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:22 PM   #14
Agree with everyone. Best question may be why dont new tt come with them from the factory

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
txmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #15
Battery cut-off switch w/ a solar panel

I installed a solar panel when first buying our new Puma last year. It is not a large panel, but has proved to be quite adequate in doing its job. However, even though charging at full capacity, the battery would go down in a couple of weeks. Had it checked and the solar was working beautifully. There is so much in the new trailers that drain power, however, that I had a cut-off switch installed and how about that! Have not lost power ever since the installation last Fall. It is a seamless installation and my battery is always charged up and ready to go.
2 Sooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I've installed a disconnect switch on every RV I've owned since the early 70s. Can't figure out how anyone gets along without one.
I agree with everyone, there is a lot that can drain them even when you think things are shut down.

I don't use a cut off though, have another solution. My trailer is next to my house and always plugged in. I lose power a few times every winter. The 5er is a life saver! Just switch the cord over to my generator and I am good to go. My biggest problem is running out of propane if the furnace runs too often. This only happens if the electric heater can't keep up, when it gets real cold, or if the power is off too long.

The converter keeps my batteries at full charge all the time.

07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #17
Here is mine actually mounted on the battery box.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2016: 33 nights camped; 5 nights booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #18
Some guy in back...
Yes, excellent idea!
Since the current flow is usually pretty low (unless you have a significant inverter), the big red knob marine-style switch is fine but overkill. If you want it on the outside of everything, a simple sealed marine or automotive toggle switch, rated at 15 amps or so will do fine.
if it's easy to access, adding one of the green-knob battery disconnect switches that mounts to the battery terminal itself can be a great solution that is easy to add and inexpensive.

SF Bay Area
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:52 AM   #19
Do you need to disconnect the battery when on power at a campsite or just when storing. Does it charge the batt when on power at campsite? Sorry newb
Firemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:54 AM   #20
You only turn it Off when in Storage! It must be On to charge Batt when Plugged In! Youroo!! US flag on 2nd line? There are "2" ways for "Plugged In" Campsite and Tow Vehicle,the Batt Disconnect must be On to allow charge to Batt!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote