Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 05:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You only turn it Off when in Storage! It must be On to charge Batt when Plugged In! Youroo!! US flag on 2nd line? There are "2" ways for "Plugged In" Campsite and Tow Vehicle,the Batt Disconnect must be On to allow charge to Batt!
The switch must be on/connected for the brake disconnect to work only important when towing....
Old 03-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemedic View Post
Do you need to disconnect the battery when on power at a campsite or just when storing. Does it charge the batt when on power at campsite? Sorry newb
Sense you are a newbee I wil go into more detail than normal.

Your trailer has a device called a converter. This is where your circuit breakers and fuses are located. Your shore power, where you plug your trailer in at CG, supplies power to this converter. The converter distributes the 110 VAC and 12 VDC thru the trailer. The converter also has a charger built into it to charge your batteries so you always keep your batteries connected.

Keep in mind this is a "CONVERTER" not an inverter. You will see this device mentioned quite often here also. It changes the 12VDC power from your batteries to 110VAC. Not all trailers have an inverter but all trailers have a converter. You could think of the converter as a control box for the power thru-out your trailer.

Welcome to the group and ask away! We all have to learn somewhere and sometime.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #23

Why would any factory install a batt cutoff switch that doesnt cut off everything? sounds dumb to me. Also I thought the converter only converted 110ac to 12dc. there is a power distribution panel seperate from the converter
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
IMO its a good idea to have the disconnect installed that way you can put a battery tender on the batteries to keep them topped off without having to leave your rig plugged in and using the converter with all the other stuff powered up. I use the battery tender junior on all my equipment.
I'm keeping the camper stored where there is a 110 outlet available, is there a downside to having things powered up so you can keep your battery charged? I am using a surge protector on it as a precaution.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5ci View Post
Why would any factory install a batt cutoff switch that doesnt cut off everything? sounds dumb to me. Also I thought the converter only converted 110ac to 12dc. there is a power distribution panel seperate from the converter
I agree about the cutoff switch. Unfortunately there are a few things it does not disconnect.

That distribution panel is part of the converter. I guess if you want to you could break the converter down to three parts. The circuit breaker distribution section, which distributes the 110 VAC thru the breakers. The fuse section, which distributes the 12 VDC thru the fuses and a 12 VDC charging section. This charger supplies 12 VDC power to the fuses and charges the batteries when you are plugged into shore power.

Jim
Old 03-20-2016, 08:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsnTexas View Post
I'm keeping the camper stored where there is a 110 outlet available, is there a downside to having things powered up so you can keep your battery charged? I am using a surge protector on it as a precaution.
I don't think so. I keep my 5er plugged in all the time at my house and have had no problems at all. I also keep a portable surge protector hooked up all the time.

Jim
Old 03-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5ci View Post
Why would any factory install a batt cutoff switch that doesnt cut off everything?
There are several devices that should have power all the time such as the carbon monoxide and propane leak detectors. These devices must be able to work in the event someone is in the trailer with the battery switch off or to alert the user to a dangerous situation upon entering a trailer in storage.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
There are several devices that should have power all the time such as the carbon monoxide and propane leak detectors. These devices must be able to work in the event someone is in the trailer with the battery switch off or to alert the user to a dangerous situation upon entering a trailer in storage.
You are very right! Certain things need to be powered at all times. I just think it would be better if they were on their own power supply instead of being on the main 12 volt power. Such as a small 12 volt battery of its own?

I know this would create problems of its own also. It would create more expense for one. Two, people would let it go dead and not replace it. Their attitude? My lights and fridge work so why should I spend the money to replace it? An interlock could be put in so if the secondary system died the main wouldn't work but, more expense.

A lot of pros and cons.

Jim
Old 03-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #29

Or you could just turn on the switch before you go in.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Why?

If the trailer is in storage the propane tanks should be OFF. Then leaks are a non issue. Those two devices alone are the ones that draw the battery down in the first place and need the power cut.

My cutoff switch kills everything and the battery stays up. Don't overthink this, add one.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #31

I have installed SPST switches at all parasites, When I enter I turn them on, No problems with propane or anything else. These parasites are located before the factory disconnect, so they are always drawing, will run down a battery in no time.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #32

I'd like to keep a small dehumidifier running as well as keeping the battery charged. I suppose I can turn off the breakers/fuses to the fridge and AC to protect those circuit boards from any problems.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsnTexas View Post
I'd like to keep a small dehumidifier running as well as keeping the battery charged. I suppose I can turn off the breakers/fuses to the fridge and AC to protect those circuit boards from any problems.
Yes you can but the parasites that draw your battery down are clocks, radios and propane monitors. If the refer is set to off and A/C is off they don't draw current.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery