Old 03-13-2016, 05:28 AM   #1

Battery cut off switch a good idea?

We picked up our 2016 Coachman Clipper today, and on Monday we'll have two Trojan T145 batteries installed. I've heard some people suggest having a battery cut off switch installed by the battery box. Is that a good idea? I can see it being helpful, if you want to not have any drain on the batts while unit is stored, without having to pull the wires on the batteries themselves.

Total rookie here, your recommendations?

Old 03-13-2016, 07:36 AM   #2

You can certainly go with a properly rated cutoff switch. There are a number of installation vids and instructions on the net.

You can also go an easier route with a battery quick disconnect. I have used them on old cars for years with success. Cheap and easy install.

The cutoff switch will generally be easier to use. But if getting to your battery post (negative side) is painless, I would go the quick disconnect.

wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

Yes you need some sort of disconnect/cut-off switch or the batteries will be dead in short order. There are a lot of things in the camper that draw power even if you think everything is turned off.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

IMO its a good idea to have the disconnect installed that way you can put a battery tender on the batteries to keep them topped off without having to leave your rig plugged in and using the converter with all the other stuff powered up. I use the battery tender junior on all my equipment.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #5
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
IMO its a good idea to have the disconnect installed that way you can put a battery tender on the batteries to keep them topped off without having to leave your rig plugged in and using the converter with all the other stuff powered up. I use the battery tender junior on all my equipment.
If you have power to the rig that is. Otherwise a small solar panel would be the ticket. There are several available that have an integral controller in them and that would keep things charged up.

Or just check them once a month and top them up with a portable generator plugged into the camper for a couple of hours.

Or remove them and take them home when the rig is going to sit.

OR if you just are leaving them for a week or two then the disconnect will be sufficient.

Or or or.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #6

My signature FW factory-installed cut-off switch does not cut off power to the landing jacks and co2 sensor and maybe some other stuff, and I noticed I've got a low battery situation (2-12v deep cycle) after a few weeks of non-use. I see no reason to power anything while it's sitting, so I'm going to install a knife-switch at the batteries.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
My signature FW factory-installed cut-off switch does not cut off power to the landing jacks and co2 sensor and maybe some other stuff, and I noticed I've got a low battery situation (2-12v deep cycle) after a few weeks of non-use. I see no reason to power anything while it's sitting, so I'm going to install a knife-switch at the batteries.
You can do that. Or if yours is set up like mine, you can move the wire to these parasites to the other side of the switch.

Prior to move:
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #8

I used a good marine battery switch mounted on my A-frame and my battery uses no power now while stored. I recently checked it after being in storage for several months and it was right up there in voltage. If I don't use the switch my battery is dead in about 2 weeks.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:01 PM   #9

Cut off switch

I too use a cutoff switch. When I am not going to use it for any period of time, I turn the switch off and put the trickle charge on. On my last camper, the battery would be dead in just a couple of weeks. There is in fact several items running even with the main breaker off.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Camper View Post
I used a good marine battery switch mounted on my A-frame and my battery uses no power now while stored. I recently checked it after being in storage for several months and it was right up there in voltage. If I don't use the switch my battery is dead in about 2 weeks.
Same here, first mod I did on the new camper.

Tags
battery