Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #41

That is another reason for installing a disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Yes, pulling the cable on the negative side of the battery is a good idea on any negative ground vehicle. Especially if you have a diamond plate aluminum lower cap like I do on mine. One turn of the wrench too far on the positive side and it is possible to arc it on the diamond plate, which is also screwed into the frame at the bottom. That's why I always disconnect negative side on mine. And do negative first if taking both battery leads off.

I learned that lesson about 50'ish years ago working on my first car, a 1966 Chevy Nova. Lots of pretty sparks.

By installing a disconnect switch on the positive side, a simple turn of the switch (well away from any diamond plate) and the Positive side of the battery is then disconnected. You would also include the wire from the power jack, if you have one. Any wire connected to the positive terminal of the battery just moves to the positive sode of the disconnect. (Just follow the simple directions - very easy for any Novice Level)
Old 03-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #42

The ONLY time I use the disconnect is when the unit is stored and I do not want any battery drainage. Occasionally when I am working on an electrical project.

I want everything cut off, even the power jack and sensors.
Closed Thread

Tags
battery, cat, location, switch