Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #21

If you ask questions here you may not get the answers you want.
You will get the answers you need.
I pulled a 30 foot 6200 lb TT with a short bed CC F150.
I would not choose to do it again.
I suggest that you get an HD truck of some kind b4 you buy or order a TT.
I ordered my F350 to get the highest payload and GVWR with the gas engine.
The sticker on my truck is $46,920.
I will be towing the 6200 lb TT for a couple years then we may move to a GVWR fiver of 10,000 lbs.
My truck is rated to tow a TT over 12,000 lbs and a fiver of 15,000 lbs.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #22

Mag,
Thanks for the info on the 320! The weight was something that I haven't been able to find, until now!!

All,
I REALLY appreciate the feedback on the trailer weight vs my current truck. You all have been much more helpful than the 5 or so dealers that I've been to!

As far as TV goes... What are all your thoughts on Gas vs Diesel? I know this can be a whole discussion in itself, but the biggest consideration is that the Truck is also going to be my primary commuting vehicle and Diesel is about $0.70 more than gas here in Cali. I drive about 300 miles (highway) or less a week and would really only be putting any substantial load on the vehicle when towing the trailer. I've never really had a need for a larger truck, until now...
SoCalDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:48 AM   #23

I was in a situation similiar to yours when i upgraded to a larger tt this year. I could not justify getting an HD for seasonal towing 6-8 times a year. I am pretty close to my limits with my current set up. After a few modifications and a good WD hitch i am comfortable towing. If you have a crew cab, the biggest issue for me was the hitch weight on the short wheel base. It took me awhile to dial in my hitch adjustments, but finally got it. I have no problem with power with the 5.3 in my truck. I take my time and won`t be winning any races against the HD`s on the hwy. With the lenght of my tt at 33`, I keep everything loaded evenly and careful what i put in my truck bed.
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #24

I honestly think that gas is the way to go for you.
My F150 had enough go and cruise to get the job done.
It did not have enough stop and heavy handedness for me to really feel in control of our TT.
After my experience and looking toward our future travels, I have to say that too much truck is good.
Trying to load everything evenly and being careful about loading the truck may be an enjoyable pastime for some, but it is not my idea of a relaxing trip.
I have 3,400 lbs of payload to use.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #25

Could you keep your truck as a daily driver and buy a used diesel tv?
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaTom View Post
My yellow sticker says the dry weight is 7875

I believe when you get the Liberty Express package the 50amp service is included. That package includes (at least mine did) everything in the Premium and value packages.

The 50th anniversary package consists of a different ceiling treatment, light colored corian counters, a more residential looking fireplace mantel and tile surround, LED lighting throughout, LED awning and step lights, a 32' TV (I can't remember if this was a Liberty express upgrade or the 50th anniv upgrade), a picnic table and some other things I can't remember.

I got the second AC and would recommend you do too if you camp a lot in the summer. Mine came with the 15K AC, but most all trailers in Houston do...too hot down here in the summer.

Like I said before, we love this camper and we have 3 kids that are under age 9, so we plan to have it for the long haul. We feel this unit will meet our needs for the future as well when the kids want to bring friends along.

Hope this helps...
If you need any other info, I'd be happy to help
Very interesting you have the second air conditioner since this isn't in the option listing. Where is it located?
Super 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
RKR

2nd AC will be in the bedroom
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #28

It's mounted above the bed in the master

Old 12-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
2nd AC will be in the bedroom
I ordered the 2014 model with every option and even visited with the factory rep and this was not mentioned, so I am miffed. He did mention with the upgraded 15K air conditioner still remained a 30 amp service.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #30

Grey Wolf Travel Trailer by Forest River

this unit is simular to the one that you are looking at compare the weights and see.

Grey Wolf Travel Trailer by Forest River

this unit is what we have, we have the same tv that you have, and have no problems at all. This year we went from Iowa to Ill. to Indiana to Mississippi, to Tennessee with a steep climb, to Arkansas in the mts to Texas then back to Iowa. Our tv handled it great.

Compare ALL weights, but remember that each gallon of liquid weight about 8# the only mods we did to the tv was coil over shocks in the rear, heavy duty shocks in the front,severe duty break pads in the front and a cold air intake system.
We don't tow faster then 60 mph, DH and DS did the changes to the truck. Unless we have a very strong side wind we don't even know that it is there.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #31

Great Info;
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Every trailer comes with a yellow sticker that is SUPPOSED to show the weight of the trailer as it left the factory. Note that this is usually not anywhere near the weight of the trailer when it is delivered. Once it gets to the dealer, they install some options (everything from awnings and furntiture up to A/C units,) they also install the propane tanks, battery and spare tire.

My trailer has a yellow sticker of 7900 pounds, but weighed 8600 when I first weighed it with just a little gear in it, and it about 9400 loaded to camp for a week. In other words, that sticker is not even close to your actual weight.

I also pull a boat that is right around 7000 pounds, they could not be more different in towing. Travel trailer have huge frontal areas and catch every wind blast that comes along.

On the tow vehicle, the GVWR is what it is, you deduct the actual weight of the truck and EVERYTHING in it. the published payload is typically done on a truck with no options and 150 pound driver. Anything in addition to the is subtracted from your payload.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
I ordered the 2014 model with every option and even visited with the factory rep and this was not mentioned, so I am miffed. He did mention with the upgraded 15K air conditioner still remained a 30 amp service.
I may be wrong, but my salesman claimed that the 2nd AC and 50amp service is a 50th anniversary feature

Old 12-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Hello, as a new owner of a coachman310BHDS LE I can tell you that I also was interested in the 320, however. I choose the 800 pound lighter 310. The unit you are looking at weighs approx 8000 lbs empty. You're truck is too small for this trailer. Your differential gearing is too low. I have a dodge ram 1500 h EMI with 3.92 ratio and pulls the 310 quite well. I was going to purchase the 320 but was scared of the additional 800 pounds. If you are set in that beautiful unit you have to upgrade your truck.
Do you know what your weights on the 310? Dry, Wet, & Hitch Wet?

This was the model we originally liked, until we saw the 320...
Old 12-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaTom View Post
I may be wrong, but my salesman claimed that the 2nd AC and 50amp service is a 50th anniversary feature
When I was talking to the dealer and going over the ordering sheet, he told me that its a separate option, and they upgrade the service to 50 Amp and pre wire it for a 2nd AC. But it would be up to the owner to install the 2nd AC
Old 12-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDustin View Post
When I was talking to the dealer and going over the ordering sheet, he told me that its a separate option, and they upgrade the service to 50 Amp and pre wire it for a 2nd AC. But it would be up to the owner to install the 2nd AC
That's correct. The only extra option I paid for was the second AC. I believe it was $900

Old 12-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #36
RKR

I would guess having a second AC would depend on your needs.
I do most if my camping at higher elevations where the heat isn't much a factor. A good fan will usually do for the bedroom up there.
I live in south Texas though and we do camp down here occasionally so the second AC was a no brainer.
It is a little noisy but it's sure nice to sleep in a cool room when it's 85-90 outside in the summer down here.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #37

Quote:
Do you know what your weights on the 310? Dry, Wet, & Hitch Wet?

This was the model we originally liked, until we saw the 320...
If I remember correctly, my 2012 310BHDS had a yellow sticker weight of around 7200 lbs. The hitch weight was around 900 lbs.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #38

Quote:
As far as TV goes... What are all your thoughts on Gas vs Diesel? I know this can be a whole discussion in itself, but the biggest consideration is that the Truck is also going to be my primary commuting vehicle and Diesel is about $0.70 more than gas here in Cali. I drive about 300 miles (highway) or less a week and would really only be putting any substantial load on the vehicle when towing the trailer. I've never really had a need for a larger truck, until now...
About 10 years ago I asked a auto mechanic I really trusted the same gas vs diesel question. He told me that it was a pay me now or pay me later situation (this is when diesel was pretty cheap and gas was more expensive)

He said routine maintenance on a diesel vs a gas is cheaper, fuel is cheaper but when it comes time to do work on the diesel the maintenance cost will more than make up the difference.

Since diesel is more expensive to operate now, and given that this advice is still valid (why wouldn't it be?) I would go with gas myself - YMMV
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #39

I've pretty much gathered that the 320BHDS is going to be out of the picture with my Silverado 1500....

I've looked for other brands and floor plans, but we just can't get the quality of the coachman and that floor plan outta our heads! So I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to upgrade my Truck. I'm definitely gonna stick to the Chevy 2500HD, and more than likely the 6.0L Vortec w/ 4.10 RA. According to the manual, this would give me...

9500 GVR
6153 Curb Wt
3347 left in CCC
13,000 Max Conventional Trailer towing
14,200 Max 5th Wheel towing
20,500 GCWR

Sooo... Since we were never really considering 5th Wheels in our options... What are most people seeing, as far as weights go on these?

The 365BH or the 357BHS would have everything we are looking for! But as been pointed out, these weights on the Coachmen website are pretty useless.

With the Diesel, I would only get about 4,000 more lbs Max 5th Wheel towing capacity and 3000 GCWR, so is it really worth the extra cost of the vehicle vs the extra weight capacity I'd be getting? Do I the extra weight capacity?
Old 12-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #40
RKR

Quote:
I've pretty much gathered that the 320BHDS is going to be out of the picture with my Silverado 1500.... I've looked for other brands and floor plans, but we just can't get the quality of the coachman and that floor plan outta our heads! So I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to upgrade my Truck. I'm definitely gonna stick to the Chevy 2500HD, and more than likely the 6.0L Vortec w/ 4.10 RA. According to the manual, this would give me... 9500 GVR 6153 Curb Wt 3347 left in CCC 13,000 Max Conventional Trailer towing 14,200 Max 5th Wheel towing 20,500 GCWR Sooo... Since we were never really considering 5th Wheels in our options... What are most people seeing, as far as weights go on these? The 365BH or the 357BHS would have everything we are looking for! But as been pointed out, these weights on the Coachmen website are pretty useless. With the Diesel, I would only get about 4,000 more lbs Max 5th Wheel towing capacity and 3000 GCWR, so is it really worth the extra cost of the vehicle vs the extra weight capacity I'd be getting? Do I the extra weight capacity?
I upgraded to a new '11 2500 HD with plans of purchasing a 5er. We got the 5er and am now waiting for the '15 3500 HD's with the new interiors to come out and trade up again.
I told my DW that this will be the last upgrade ,I promise (fingers crossed behind my back though)
I should of got the 3500 back in '11. The price wasn't that much more.The next one will be a long bed dually and that should be the last pickup for many years.