Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #1

Bent Rear axle

I have a 243rbs coachmen Catalina 2018 TT. The rear axle is bent. Only 2000 mi on it. only had it 1.5 yrs. Bought new. Anyhow, just went thru all the measurement BS with Lippert frames. It has Dexter axles which lippert put on their frame. They are telling me I have to go to Dexter axles for a possible fix. Of course this problem never shows up during the warranty period. So clue me in anyone on whats it going to be like to dead with Dexter. The dealer said they are backed up 3 months just to get it in while telling me its out of warranty.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Have you contacted Dexter directly?

I've not had a bent axle but have got great response from them in the past.
There are several reports here of them "overnighting" axles to those in emergency need. I don't think you'll get a run around from them.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
Always Learning

Dexter treated me well on a warranty vent fan replacement. Not an axle, I know but their warranty support was good.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #4

bent axle

Thanks Guys,, I'll be calling them tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:54 PM   #5

Well, the good thing is that if Dexter doesn't warranty it, axles are fairly cheap. And if you can install it yourself, even better.
Just helped my buddy replace his axle after he hit a tall curb way too fast
Was actually a very easy job for two people.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:38 AM   #6

So...how is the axle bent? Are you getting abnormal tire wear?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #7

bent axle

You can see where its bent. Caught my eye when I saw the tires wearing badly on the inside. I just sent all the info and pics to Dexter,,waiting to hear back.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #8

Can you post a few of the pics you sent the manufacturer? I would like to see how the axle is bent. Any idea of how it happened? Thank You.
olebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #9

'ALL' (never good to say 'all') RV axles are 'bent'. Can you describe how it may have been 'bent' and where it is bent? Tire wear can happen for a number of reasons. ie. bad bearings, loose bearings or alignment issues or a loose tire.

All of these axles may 'look' bent.... because they are bent in the middle upward.
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tra...-6000_lbs.aspx

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #10

I know all about the normal bend in the axle and why its there. The axle is bent to the right of center upwards on the passenger side. Sending pics is like trying to do rubic's cube. LOL!! That tire is almost bald on the inside. Never hit anything,,,I think its been there since new.I always thought that wheel looked alittle off but heard, and read about people saying that is normal for a rear axle. Not even 2000 miles,,,all short 2hr trips.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #11

can someone clue me in on how to post pics. It asks me for a URL,, what is that?
Old 11-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Are you on a PC or a mobile device?

If it's a PC the easiest way I've found is when you're in a thread to go to the bottom of the thread and select "Go Advanced" at the bottom of the reply window. Then select the paper clip icon in the top row of icons. It will pop up a window where you select attachments (pics) and then once you've chosen the files (pics) you select upload and then you close the window. But you're not done yet. Once you're back at the relay window you select the down arrow beside the paper clip and that's where you can select the files to show in the reply. It's a little arcane compared to most forum software, but it's not too hard to get used to once you figure it out.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #13
Retired Old Fart

Is the axle bent and one tire is out of alignment, or is that entire axle out of alignment to the frame? IF it's the latter, it may be the normal bend of the axle and it is just out of alignment (could be the hangers also). The fix for that is different.

Or is it if you lay a straight edge on the front or back of the axle, the axle tube is not straight (front/back, not top/bottom as that is supposed to be bent slightly).

Depending on where you live, there may be a commercial trailer shop nearby. They do axle repairs on commercial trailers all day long and will usually also work on travel trailers. It's an easy fix for them and their bread and butter job where a RV dealer may not be so well trained in bending an axle. Or like was previously pointed out, a replacement axle is not that expensive (assuming the hangers are not out of position).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:55 PM   #14

Please post what Dexter does. I too have a bent axle..actually the kingpin. mine will not be a warranty issue but still needs to get fixed.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Please post what Dexter does. I too have a bent axle..actually the kingpin. mine will not be a warranty issue but still needs to get fixed.
You have a bent what?
Old 11-17-2019, 10:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You have a bent what?

KINGPIN

It's what the inner and outer wheel bearings roll on. Bright shiny machined steel pin that's welded to the end of the axle. I'm guessing the previous owner hit a curb hard and bent the pin upwards causing only that wheel to have a large negative camber. You might also call it the spindle depending on where your from.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:27 AM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
KINGPIN

It's what the inner and outer wheel bearings roll on. Bright shiny machined steel pin that's welded to the end of the axle. I'm guessing the previous owner hit a curb hard and bent the pin upwards causing only that wheel to have a large negative camber. You might also call it the spindle depending on where your from.
Thanks for clarifying. I learn something new every day. I’ve heard it called a spindle but never a kingpin. The only kingpin I knew of was what connects fifth wheels to the truck and that didn’t fit the topic at hand.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:05 AM   #18

It's not another name for a spindle.

This is what I always thought a kingpin was. It's the vertical shaft that allows the spindle assembly to pivot(steer) on certain types of suspensions.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
It's not another name for a spindle.

This is what I always thought a kingpin was. It's the vertical shaft that allows the spindle assembly to pivot(steer) on certain types of suspensions.

Maybe it's one of those horizontal or transverse kingpins?

Perhaps regionally specific terms? Around here if you ask for a starter solenoid you'll probably get the deer in the headlights look. You have to ask for a Bendix.

Its like ranch casing for around a door or window. Ask for that on the Eastern shore of MD and they'll say .....What? You have to ask for a piece of clamshell molding lol.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:36 AM   #20

Yes, let us know what Dexter does. They gave me great support on a Friday night and Saturday.

Wife and I discovered 2 broken wheel studs (same wheel) when crossing into Oklahoma. Luckily, at fuel stop next to a campground. Called Dexter at 4:55 PM Friday afternoon. Logistics Manager answered phone, only person there. He asked what I needed, axle serial numbers etc.. called me back about 15 minutes later and asked if I minded driving to his home Saturday morning. He was waiting with a cold drink, all the parts I needed, and no cost.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, bent