Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #1

Best boondocking battery arrangement

Just curious for opinions on best boondocking battery array utilizing two 12V Deep Cycle type batteries.

Specifically, parallel or series wiring best for this situation?

Thanks,
azdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #2

Most true "Boondockers" go the 6 Volt direction! Youroo!!
Old 02-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #3

You do not wire 12v batteries in series they are wired in parallel. Only 6v batteries are wired in series to give you 12v output. 12v batteries are fine for typical camping with light boondooking. 6v batteries are the preferred boondooking workhorse. They are designed to be discharged and charged many times over.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
Insert witty title here

Series doubles the voltage
Parallel doubles the current.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #5

If you are going boon docking, I assume you have taken the time to assess your electrical usage. Regardless, research lithium-ion batteries. You don't have to worry about running the batteries down = 99% efficiency, can forget applying 3 stage charging routines to maintain the batteries, up to 70% lighter, etc.

Assume you are installing a high capacity solar system with hybrid inverter as soon as possible as well.

Boon docking and off-grid electrical systems are natural matches.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
If you are going boon docking, I assume you have taken the time to assess your electrical usage. Regardless, research lithium-ion batteries. You don't have to worry about running the batteries down = 99% efficiency, can forget applying 3 stage charging routines to maintain the batteries, up to 70% lighter, etc.

Assume you are installing a high capacity solar system with hybrid inverter as soon as possible as well.

I have solar and 4- 6V Interstate batteries. I haven't looked into the lithium ion batteries but am interested in your perspective on the best brand and possible benefits over what I currently am using

Thanks,
Bill
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #7

I suggest you work with a professional RV solar installer that can design a "system" that will work effectively for your needs. Really easy to locate these guys on the internet via the forums.

Also easy to research and learn about lithium-ion batteries via the internet.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:22 PM   #8

I got a LEARNING experience on a similar post I made regarding mixing batteries. Look up "Can I use 2 diff brand Group 24 12 volt batteries?".

I'll attach the final hookup I'll be using for two 12 volt batteries.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Connection for 2.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	129950  
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarland48 View Post
I got a LEARNING experience on a similar post I made regarding mixing batteries. Look up "Can I use 2 diff brand Group 24 12 volt batteries?".

I'll attach the final hookup I'll be using for two 12 volt batteries.

Good luck.
Where do I find those 12v 210AH batteries shown in your diagram?
Old 02-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

"opinions on best".... this is going to be good.
Attached Images

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #11

Bob 213, I found these AGM's after doing a quick search but IMHO I don't feel they are as good as (4) 6v.Lifeline GPL-4DL Deep Cycle AGM Marine & RV Battery | 12 Volt 210Ah

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post

I think you mean Lithium-Iron not Ion and if you buy them for me, I'll be happy to use them.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #13

AZ Dave:

Asking such a broad question is like asking "How much gasoline do I need for a trip?"

To give useful advice, you should specify at a minimum:

How many days boondocking?

What loads will you be running off of battery power?

Batteries are just like a gas tank. Amp Hours are like gallons of gas. Having an idea of Amp Hour usage can result in reasonable suggestions for your actual needs.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #14

I run 4 6 volt golf cart batteries in my Crusader 315. Did the same in my old Montana. I also use a solar system to top them off when boon docking. I use the solar system from Harbor Freight. Cheap and works well. Saw it for 119 bucks with a coupon the other day. Keeps them topped off. Can usually go more than a week without major voltage loss. I carry the assembled panels on the bed, and take them out when we have hookups. It depends if you are going to use inverters to run TV's etc. They can smoke some batteries. I hook 2 6 volts up in series creating two sets of six volts that produce twelve volts. I then hook each set to the other in parallel. Works well. You can buy the golf cart batteries at Sam's or Costco. I got Interstates at Costco for 90 bucks or so apiece. Use good heavy battery cable wire and solder all connections to prevent future problems.
ALWAYS MAINTAIN PROPER WATER LEVEL in the batteries. They will last a long time if you do. Let them go dry and you're done.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
AZ Dave:

Asking such a broad question is like asking "How much gasoline do I need for a trip?"

To give useful advice, you should specify at a minimum:

How many days boondocking?

What loads will you be running off of battery power?

Batteries are just like a gas tank. Amp Hours are like gallons of gas. Having an idea of Amp Hour usage can result in reasonable suggestions for your actual needs.
One nice thing about amp hours is, unlike gasoline, you are not at the mercy of the petroleum lords. You have alternatives for filling your 'tank'...
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:19 PM   #16

We've been camping a boon docking a long time and have had a lot of experience with both 12v and 6v batteries. My 12v multi-battery setup had the batteries lasting 2 to 3 years at most. 2 or 4 6v Golf Cart batteries (I only use Trojan T-105 Batteries) last about 8 years if you take care of them and they put out substantially more power. Around here Trojan T-105s run about $100 each.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #17

Just a note to all that have replied to my initial question:

My wife and I are new to the TT lifestyle so I had to start somewhere with my question. I appreciate all the perspectives that have been presented.

I would anticipate three day boondocking episodes and my wife and I have talked about installing a portable solar system array at some point (Zamp or Go Power solar).

Again, thanks for the helpful comments (smart ass and serious ).

2016 Coachmen APEX 259 BHSS

2016 Ford F150 Supercrew Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
Twin turbos baby !!!
Old 02-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #18

We boondock for weeks at a time. We are leaving March 4th for a three week trip.

We always use 2 Interstate deep cell series 24 or 27 batteries. We recharge using Honda eu2000i generators. We do use the heater turned down low most nights this time of year. Also use a small inverter to watch an hour or so of TV after we turn off the generator. We never have a problem with not enough battery, or getting them recharged.

We would love to go solar, but the cost doesn't warrant the move yet.

As far as 6v batteries, I would rather have 2 12v than have my basement space used up with 4 to 6 of the 6v in multiple banks. Just my preference.

I highly recommend Interstate which ever way you go. Ours last an average of 4.5 years, where our friends that use other brands you can find at Sam's, Walmart, batteries+, only get 1 to 2.5 years out of theirs.

Enjoy camping!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #19

I would anticipate three day boondocking episodes and my wife and I have talked about installing a portable solar system array at some point (Zamp or Go Power solar).
=========
That is the kind of information that if put in your original post would likely result in fewer, but more effective and specific responses from those who have put in systems where they wanted to accomplish a similar goal.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #20

NMWildcat:

Thanks for your great reply.

I do have an Interstate battery on currently. I have a TT so my battery arrangement is on the A frame of my trailer. That space allows for only two 12 volt batteries.

As previously stated, we are new to the TT form of camping and still figuring things out.

Again, thanks for your reply.

2016 Coachmen APEX 259 BHSS

2016 Ford F150 Supercrew Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
Twin turbos baby !!!

Tags
battery, boondocking