Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

Bounce when camping

I have a 2015 Coachman Freedom Express Travel Trailer 322RLDSLE. It has wide axel spacing ( 17 inches Between Tires ). I don't know the brand of suspension but there is a yoke that the springs attach to between the wheels. Any way the paper work say not to try to lift trailer with stabilizer jacks so I just put them down snug. My problem is when I am sitting down inside the trailer or in bed and someone walks inside the trailer I get a lot of bounce up and down. Am I not getting the stabilizers down tight enough, they are electric or do I need screw scissor jacks on each corner? Trailer is 36 feet long. Thank in advance if anyone can shed some light.
twosocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #2

Buy a pair of x chocks, you will be surprised and how much they will help. You can never get all the bounce out but these will improve what your experiencing. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1475349790.995187.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	121831

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosocks View Post
I have a 2015 Coachman Freedom Express Travel Trailer 322RLDSLE. It has wide axel spacing ( 17 inches Between Tires ). I don't know the brand of suspension but there is a yoke that the springs attach to between the wheels. Any way the paper work say not to try to lift trailer with stabilizer jacks so I just put them down snug. My problem is when I am sitting down inside the trailer or in bed and someone walks inside the trailer I get a lot of bounce up and down. Am I not getting the stabilizers down tight enough, they are electric or do I need screw scissor jacks on each corner? Trailer is 36 feet long. Thank in advance if anyone can shed some light.
We added a set of screw jacks to the middle of our TT. This really helped with the bounce.
DonMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Use two x chocks and added bal stabilizers to the middle of the trailer. Really helped. I may replace the other stab Jack's with BAL at some point as well. The stock ones are cheap and seam to just loose their tension when screwed down. The bal Jack's always seam to stay tight.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
DW's 401(k) Plan

On our last TT, we used Valterra Stabilizers along with x-chocks. One under the rear bumper and one under the front, just behind the propane tanks and battery. Took away about as much bounce as anything, short of raising the whole unit off the tires.

BTW, I still have those 2 Valterra stabilizers .... and have no need for them. They're looking for a home at a decent price. PM me if interested.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:42 PM   #6
Coachman 312BHDS

Our 312BHDS FE LE does the same thing and we also already have the X-Chocks. They help only a little. The electric jacks don't provide real good support. Maybe the screw jacks will help in the middle on each side but I hate to add more weight. Our twin axles are also the very wide variety. I don't mind it much but if folks are on the futon sleeping in the back they notice it a lot more. It seems to be the nature of the beast with these long TT's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosocks View Post
Old 10-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
On our last TT, we used Valterra Stabilizers along with x-chocks. One under the rear bumper and one under the front, just behind the propane tanks and battery. Took away about as much bounce as anything, short of raising the whole unit off the tires.

BTW, I still have those 2 Valterra stabilizers .... and have no need for them. They're looking for a home at a decent price. PM me if interested.
+1 with a couple of differences.

I have the 2016 322RLDS and use the extended versions of the x chocks along with wheel chocks on both sides to minimize front/back rocking. We also used the Valterra Stabilizers (2), but placed them differently.

While trying numerous different setups, I found that we were getting a lot more "bounce" due to the suspension than was due to the frame flexing. I also found out that the rear bumper on ours was just too high and the Valterra just wouldn't reach, even on a level lot. So with that in mind, here is where I placed ours.

After a lot of trial and error, I put one in front of the axles and under the steps to help minimize any side to side rocking from entering/leaving the trailer as well as account for foot traffic in the hallway to/from the bath/bedroom, and the other on the opposite side, behind the axles but a little closer to the axles than the rear corner to help with movement to/from the seating/dinette slideout.

If we were going to keep this trailer, I was planning on constructing two more "poor man" stabilizers like the Valterra's out of 2x4's, a few bolts, and ratchet straps. then use the two Valterra's in the front corners of the frame and the two home made ones on each rear corner. I think using 4 of them, with 2 placed on each side, under the frame and a little closer to the axle than the front/rear would work the best.

Good Luck.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #8

There are quite a number of threads on the subject. Use search feature to see how others have tried to compensate. I used a couple EZ-Lift screw jacks, one on each side before and aft of the axles on the frame rails as well as the Camco version of the XChock. Others have used similar approach. Bottom line, you'll not get rid of all the shake but it can be reduced to tolerable level. Keep the extension of the stabilizers within reason. I block mine with a stack of lynx levelers to help out
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #9

My trailer is not as long, but I had (like everyone else) the same issue. I also use the xchocks. I also purchased two screw jacks and place them in similar locations as bluejay40. Some days seem better than others, but it has limited the bounce a lot.

There is a lot of threads on this. Some have used JT strong arms and swear by them. There are a couple of other similar items. I have not done that yet, but have been thinking about it.

Good luck and if you are successful post what you have done.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #10

Interesting comments. I've always wondered about mobile homes bouncing too.

Glad I have a truck camper. I run the jack legs down until they contact the ground and a wee bit more and the camper is solid with no movement at all.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:33 AM   #11
Coachman 312BHDS

Selling a 2016 322 already. Was there anything wrong with the TT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
+1 with a couple of differences.

I have the 2016 322RLDS and use the extended versions of the x chocks along with wheel chocks on both sides to minimize front/back rocking. We also used the Valterra Stabilizers (2), but placed them differently.

While trying numerous different setups, I found that we were getting a lot more "bounce" due to the suspension than was due to the frame flexing. I also found out that the rear bumper on ours was just too high and the Valterra just wouldn't reach, even on a level lot. So with that in mind, here is where I placed ours.

After a lot of trial and error, I put one in front of the axles and under the steps to help minimize any side to side rocking from entering/leaving the trailer as well as account for foot traffic in the hallway to/from the bath/bedroom, and the other on the opposite side, behind the axles but a little closer to the axles than the rear corner to help with movement to/from the seating/dinette slideout.

If we were going to keep this trailer, I was planning on constructing two more "poor man" stabilizers like the Valterra's out of 2x4's, a few bolts, and ratchet straps. then use the two Valterra's in the front corners of the frame and the two home made ones on each rear corner. I think using 4 of them, with 2 placed on each side, under the frame and a little closer to the axle than the front/rear would work the best.

Good Luck.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbln930 View Post
Selling a 2016 322 already. Was there anything wrong with the TT?
Don't want to muck up this thread with unrelated content but suffice it to say that there comes a time in any game to realize that that you have "chosen poorly" in which table and set of players you sat down with. So it's time to cut our losses by folding, moving to another table with different players, and see if our luck gets any better the second time around.

One can only hope.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #13

I also use the Vlterra Stabilizers that DaGrinch mentioned. They help alot.
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #14

We too use X-Chocks and they help, but there still some bounce in the trailer, so I purchased 30" scissor jacks and place them in front of the wheels. Now the trailer is 99% bounce free. In placing the jacks under the frame be careful of any wiring or gas lines you might have in that location. I just snug them up with the cordless impact and I'm done.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
4 X 4 Engine 5.7L Hemi Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer (Diamond Package)
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #15
Just A Member

We use the X-chocks with the electric stab jacks and have no real bounce. I call it more of a very annoying vibration. I have decided to purchase the JT Strongarms from what I have read on here and researching online seem to be what really fixes the problem for the most reasonable and hassle free fix.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #16
Coachman 312BHDS

Arent they only for fifth wheels?
Old 10-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

No they have trailer versions as well

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #18
Coachman 312BHDS

Ok I see these that attach to existing jacks.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...structions.pdf
Old 10-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #19

Just to throw this in there, had a lot of bounce in our 34ft northridge 5th. I went with the steadyfast bars. Similar to the strongarms and others, but to me simpler and better engineered. Took out 90% + bounce. Our current 5th, a 42ft chappy, has the auto leveling and will still bounce in certain situations. Steadyfast bars are on the mod list for the off season. Check them out on the google search. They have installed pics for both 5ths and tt.
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping