Old 05-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan View Post
... If I were out camping this weekend I would not wait 3 days for service. I don't care if its a holiday weekend or not...
And what would you do?

Old 05-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #22

Hi Laura, I originally looked at the Anderson and liked the ease of setup and installation but ultimately decided on the Blue Ox as I wasn't sure the Anderson would take enough weight back off the back end. Glad I did and have no complaints with the Blue Ox at all. There's some other posts online about the Anderson with similar concerns and the Blue Ox was around the same price. Install was pretty simple and hookup is a breeze.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #23

Thanks YEGrolo. Its getting to the point where it is difficult for me to lift the hitch head for a standard WDH so looking for something easier for me to handle. I don't have an issue needing to move a bunch of weight forward with 1800+ lbs of payload and less than 600lbs hitch weight. I just want the bouncing to stop...

OldCoot, If I needed to leave right away, I would ask for the service that I am paying for and go up the chain of command to get it.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...OldCoot, If I needed to leave right away, I would ask for the service that I am paying for and go up the chain of command to get it.
Regardless of how high you go at Coach-Net, they still cannot fix a hitch without a technician and the parts which no doubt are not available on weekends. Some things just can't be done on weekends/holidays, regardless of circumstances.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #25

Call a tow company and have them send the bill to roadside assistance.

If RA gives you static tell them to provide a more timely service, a tow truck sent by them within 4 hours of your call.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #26
Site Team

OK, this topic is starting to veer severely away from helping the member. Please stay on topic and not on hypothetical scenarios.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #27

OP

Your coupler should have a brand name stamped on it (for instance mine says RAM) and possibly a model number. Dr. Google should be able to show you images to match up (if there is no model #) and then tell you if there is a repair kit for it. I would personally doubt it simply because the vast majority of repair kits are for class III and lower couplers, but it is worth searching.

Unfortunately or otherwise, the 14K coupler itself is usually less that $75 of similar quality to what FR puts on trailers, so the repair kits would have to be cheap for the manufacturers to bother. I would call Hannah or some other large internet seller and see if you can send them pictures to find out if they can help you out. A skilled metal worker may also be able to help you out, but I would wonder about the metal quality matching what you have.

EDIT: Correction that is Hanna RV without the h at the end.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Not to hijack the thread but I'm getting ready to buy the Andersen WDH and I have the same coupler as the OP. Does anyone know how often the locking mechanism breaks with the Andersen?

I have yet to hear of any Andersen owner that had a problem with a coupler, although anything is possible as the OP has proven with his Blue Ox. . .
Old 05-17-2015, 09:30 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

The design of the Anderson puts a tremendous load on the hitch catch and it was not designed for this type of loading. The chains pull the hitch ball towards the trailer putting all the load on the catch. No doubt the Anderson eliminates sway, but I would prefer the old fashioned friction type that doesn't load the hitch catch. JMO
Old 05-17-2015, 09:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The design of the Anderson puts a tremendous load on the hitch catch and it was not designed for this type of loading. The chains pull the hitch ball towards the trailer putting all the load on the catch.
I understand and have read that argument. However, my statement stands.

Tags
hitch