Old 05-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #1

Bubble in ceiling

I have a bubble n my 2012 coachmen freedom express 310bdhs interior in front right by the cabinet can someone please help n thks n advance

larryquill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

A picture might help. But bubbles are usually indicative of water. You're going to need to check the bubble to see if it's wet and then track down the source of the leak.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #3

How do you check for water just puncture the bubble
Old 05-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Yeah, I'd cut it open and see what's inside (while praying it's not spiders).
Old 05-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #5

Before I'd cut into a bubble I'd just pole a small hole in it with a needle/pin and see if water can be squeezed out. If dry it may just be a lousy application of the adhesive.

One fix is to get a syringe and large bore needle (like a BBQ basting syringe). Insert some adhesive and then squeeze down using a piece of plywood covered with a ziploc bag and braced against the floor.

Another fix can often remove water and reattach to existing contact cement.

If you have a Food Saver vacuum seal appliance, use the accessory attachment that is used for vacuum sealing jars. Start vacuum and put the attachment against the ceiling around bubble (after you've pierced the bubble as suggested before). Any water will be sucked out and if the original cement might have enough "tack" to re-attach the material.

Yes, if you find water, absolutely important to find source. May be as bad as a roof leak or as minor (relative sense) as a poor seal around trim ring at shower skylight if you have one.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Before I'd cut into a bubble I'd just pole a small hole in it with a needle/pin and see if water can be squeezed out. If dry it may just be a lousy application of the adhesive.

One fix is to get a syringe and large bore needle (like a BBQ basting syringe). Insert some adhesive and then squeeze down using a piece of plywood covered with a ziploc bag and braced against the floor.

Another fix can often remove water and reattach to existing contact cement.

If you have a Food Saver vacuum seal appliance, use the accessory attachment that is used for vacuum sealing jars. Start vacuum and put the attachment against the ceiling around bubble (after you've pierced the bubble as suggested before). Any water will be sucked out and if the original cement might have enough "tack" to re-attach the material.

Yes, if you find water, absolutely important to find source. May be as bad as a roof leak or as minor (relative sense) as a poor seal around trim ring at shower skylight if you have one.
That is the bubble that's holding the waterClick image for larger version

Name:	0529191547.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	205845
Old 05-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #7

The bubble in my ceilingClick image for larger version

Name:	0529191547.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	205861
Old 05-29-2019, 07:19 PM   #8

Wow, that's not a bubble, that's a "wave".

I definitely would go looking for the source.

As for repair, depends on how much water damage is underneath.

Good luck.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 05-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Wow, that's not a bubble, that's a "wave".

I definitely would go looking for the source.

As for repair, depends on how much water damage is underneath.

Good luck.
I think I found the source for the trim outside n the roof were the meet had cracks but believe it r not not a whole lott a water wat do u suggest for re glueing the ceiling
Old 05-29-2019, 08:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryquill View Post
I think I found the source for the trim outside n the roof were the meet had cracks but believe it r not not a whole lott a water wat do u suggest for re glueing the ceiling

I'd have to see it up close to see what my options were. Can trim pieces across the end and back down the side be removed? If so I'd remove them and carefully detach the ceiling covering to just beyond the end of the "sag". Let the ceiling paneling dry well. Maybe even put a de-humidifier inside and crank it to max dry with the RV sealed up as tight as you can. A fan blowing on the wet area can also do a good job if not too humid. AC units are good de-humidifiers too.

Once dry scrape any damaged glue from ceiling paneling and use some spray adhesive (I like 3-M products). Carefully apply the adhesive per instructions starting at the point where the ceiling covering is still attached. Work from center out to edges and keep moving toward wall where you started detaching. Use a good roller to make sure no air bubbles are formed. Something 3-4 inches wide and covered with a resilient surface.

When all is re-secured and dry per adhesive instructions replace trim.

If no trim and ceiling material just disappear into walls, I'd use a razor knife and cut along the wall edges so I could drop the cover as described above. When re-attached as described above then staple the edges and cover with a finish molding of your choice.

The key is to make sure everything is D-R-Y and that may involve allowing air into the "attic" by removing flush mounted speakers (if there) and trim rings around ceiling vents, so the space between ceiling and roof are open for air circulation.

One way to force circulation in this area if you have recessed ceiling mounted devices. Remove a few and temporarily mount a computer type box fan over one of the holes with air blowing in. Let this fan run for a few days and perhaps repeat in another location wherever you have access.

2004 Nissan Titan