Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #1

Bunk bed ladder 292BHDS

Wonder if anyone has made their own bunk bed ladder. Also need ideas on a guard rail. My youngest is finally ready to sleep in a big girl bed and I'm sure my middle child will want the top bunk . Anyway, anyone got ideas? This is for my quad bunk 292BHDS.

sledhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #2

Your dealer should be able to supply you a portable bunk house ladder. My dealer gave me one that is made from aluminum (very lightweight but strong). It can be attached to the bunk or left loose to switch to either side. It easily can handle my 180 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #3

For the bedrail I use a plastic fold down rail that I picked up for a normal kids bed at toys r us. It folds flat and it just sits under the mattress.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #4

I did the same as Scubanut

I was also going to make a better ladder. Just need more free time!

14' Coachmen 320 BHDS Liberty Edition 50th Anniversary
IColeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #5

The ladder that came with our MicroLite 23LB is wood with a nice Cherry finish to match the rest of the camper but in my opinion, it is dangerous. There are no hooks or anything at the top to hold it onto the top bunk. They put little rubber stoppers on the bottom of it and I guess that is what is supposed to keep it from moving. We have not used it yet but I really wouldn't trust it unless someone else was holding it while the other person got in the bunk. If the grandkids go camping with us often, we might try to do a mod on it so it attaches somehow to the top of the bunk when being used.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:58 AM   #6

I forgot to mention the trailer did come with a built in bunk ladder only on one side and like previous poster, didn't look very safe for anyone with a bit of weight. I used the aluminum one for both sides.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
The ladder that came with our MicroLite 23LB is wood with a nice Cherry finish to match the rest of the camper but in my opinion, it is dangerous. There are no hooks or anything at the top to hold it onto the top bunk. They put little rubber stoppers on the bottom of it and I guess that is what is supposed to keep it from moving. We have not used it yet but I really wouldn't trust it unless someone else was holding it while the other person got in the bunk. If the grandkids go camping with us often, we might try to do a mod on it so it attaches somehow to the top of the bunk when being used.
We have the same issue. Did you come up with any great ideas?
dano50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:53 PM   #8

My 31BHDS came with a built-in wooden bunk ladder which locks into place. My 9 year old g'son quickly claimed the upper bunk on the side with the outside kitchen but found one problem. When he gets to the top of the ladder there is nothing to hold onto to pull himself onto the bed. Getting down has the same problem, nothing to hold onto while placing his feet on the ladder. I found a nice rubber cushioned grab handle in the parts catalog the dealer gave me and called to see if they had this in house or would have to order it. They did have it in stock and when I told the lady what I was going to use it for she asked me to hold just a minute. She evidently talked to someone then told me that the dealer was going to ship this handle to me at no charge. I had the g'son go up and down the ladder while I held the handle in different position's until he felt we had it in the proper place. After securing the handle he tried it out and was happy with it.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #9

Still haven't came up with a rail solution. I want to make my own as it seems pretty simple. I will need to measure and see what it would take. Might just end up getting one of those from the store that go under the mattress and flip up....

sledhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
292bhds, bed