Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

buying gas

What stations do you find it to be easy to fill up your truck? 33ft trailer with a gas motor =53 feet not always easy or posible any ideas would be great thanks.
mdrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #2

Travel Plazas or truck stops. Flying J, Petro, Loves, ect.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrucker View Post
What stations do you find it to be easy to fill up your truck? 33ft trailer with a gas motor =53 feet not always easy or posible any ideas would be great thanks.
Mainly ones that are parallel to the road or wide bays not T'd into a building.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #4

I loaded the Pilot and Love's Truckstop apps on my Iphone to help me out. Last month, went on a trip from Middle TN to Tybee Island, GA. I stopped at a Pilot Truck Stop, on the way down, used the same pump going and coming. Also we stopped at a Love's Truck Stop near Dublin, GA, same pump going and coming. I thought this was rare....main thing was I planned out my fuel stops before leaving home. One thing that did happen on the way back at the Love's Truck Stop. I pulled into the pumps, pickup truck in front of me. I thought they would be out of the way before I pulled out. Nope, real inconsiderate people. I had to back up and then pull over to a parking area parrallel to the pumps. We watched them pull out about halfway through our Sub Sandwiches.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #5

When we had a similar size trailer, I always stopped outside of cities. Usually Interstate highway stations have more space. Flying J usually has special lanes for RVs. Like the big truck lanes only gasoline. Also pick the pump that will work for you and wait for it.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
Travel Plazas or truck stops. Flying J, Petro, Loves, ect.
been to several loves and the ones that I have been to only have gas in the larger islands.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #7

thanks for the replys Flying J sounds like a good one to watch for, and the loves that paralel the road.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #8

The last time I stopped for gas for the tv while I had the trailer hitched up was at a Pilot Station near Dalton, GA. I pulled into a pump, between the pumps and a few patrol cars who had someone stopped. The pumps were perpendicular to the building. Luckily they were gone by the time I was ready to move, but then had to have the DW get out and clear the rear for me so I could back up to have enough room to make my left turn out. I know that it is hard when you first pull into a station to see if they have a dedicated RV lane or not. While I was pumping gas DW was walking the dog out back to see if they did have a lane.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
daydreaming about camping

several of the Love's/Pilot/Flying J truck stops near me have a RV lane with gas/diesel/kerosene(no idea why since most RV's need propane) and dump station. Very convenient.

In general, pulling trailers for several years, I have learned to simply be patient. Usually I can pull through most stations and simply use the outer most island. sometimes you have to wait for someone to finish up, but that time is well worth it when you pull straight out.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

On our trip this summer to Indiana we found the best place to get fuel consistantly were Holiday gas stations. There were a few Flying J's that we left because the lanes were not built to take a 34 1/2 trailer and Megacab dodge. I sent them an email after we got home and got the usual canned (we will forward this to the appropriate people) email response. Also the Holiday gas stations would always let me fill then pay inside (not the stupid guess how much you need and prepay stuff) as it seems your pumps do not like Canadian postal codes. One other observation was, the gas stations on rural roads were generally easier for units like ours to access the pumps than the ones on the interstates at least through northern Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Oh and the Holiday stations always had mid and premimum fuel unlike a few others which again we had to leave. They are just finishing a Flying J here in Moose Jaw and the same stupid stuff, you can barely get a 3/4 ton truck around the pumps let alone any kind of trailer but they sure do have lots of space for semi's at the back, so any RVer's with gas TV's will have to go to the Petro Can next door.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
Always Learning

We shoot for truck stops as much as possible. When it's not possible or we're in a more rural area, we try to use our iPhone and the Maps program to find gas stations coming up and then look at the aerial view to check the station layout. So far, we've been pretty good.

That said - I almost always start to look for fuel at 1/2 a tank (about 150-200 miles) so that I have plenty of time to be picky when it comes to fueling up.