Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #1

Camper lean - unloaded

I've been researching Coachman and other brands as we look for a new camper. Found a floor plan in Grand Design that we like, its exactly like the FR we like, the Coachmen Chaparral Lite 30RLS.

The GD branded unit had 1 alarming issue, a drivers side lean, caused by over 540 extra pounds being on that side of the camper. Thats before adding all the crap we normally carry.

Does the 30RLS share the same affliction, since almost all of its storage is on 1 side? I've looked, havent yet seen posts on the topic, maybe I've just missed them.

Current owners were discussing replacing the springs on these units, since the manufacturer said it wasnt an issue.

2017 Ford F350 CCSB
Mods and Pics
BurgPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #2

Don't really know about this model,but we had the short lived 29rks.It had two slides on the same side and didn't lean at all.The 30 RLS should do fine with opposing slides. The storage is the same as ours was.One pass through and the front storage area. At a 11,000# GVWR it should be fine.That's about a 2,000 # carry cap. You will really like the back rack.It has a 450# weight limit.I carried a aluminum 48" tool box and a generator on it.Pulled that 5er over 25,000 miles without a problem.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #3

Neighbor bought (what looks like) a very nice Grand Design) 5er this spring. It has been in the shop more than it's been out. From day one, things have broken on it constantly. The slide was misaligned and tore up the vinyl floor. Both awnings have had to be replaced because they were not installed properly. The sweep seals do not even touch the slide because the hole in the wall is way too big for the slide. There are many other issues with the thing. It is currently in the shop and they are likely going to have to cancel this weekend's trip with us. To make it worse, the very big-name dealership here in Michigan has been awful to deal with, refusing to schedule appointments, and then keeping the thing for weeks at a time - only to give it back and say that they tried really hard to fix it but couldn't quite get it right.

At one point, the service manager told him that since the economy had improved and campers were selling so well, Grand Design had lowered their quality standards to keep up with demand. Hardly what I'd want to hear after all the money they just spent on a brand new unit.

I know it is only anecdotal, but after seeing my neighbor's experience, I would not but a Grand Design. And I will certainly never go to that particular chain of dealerships.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:57 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. It will be spring before we buy, plenty of time for me to go back and forth between the 2.

I hope your neighbor can get things worked out.

2017 Ford F350 CCSB
Mods and Pics
BurgPath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper