Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #1

Cargo Capacity

Hi, I am new here. I joined because my husband and I are buying a bigger travel trailer, and we have some questions. We really, really like the Freedom Express 292, but we are very worried about the low cargo capacity. If the tanks are full, and we have four people plus a dog in the camper, won't we be getting really close to the limit? It almost seems like there isn't enough cargo capacity for the size of the camper. Has anyone else been concerned about this? We noticed that the 282 has a much higher cargo capacity, but it is a shorter camper that weighs almost the same. Why is this?
mikeangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think I can completely answer your question. It looks like the 281RLDS, 282BHDS and the 292BHDS all have 3500# axles and ST205/75/R14C tires (load rating of 1760#)...the other models have heavier axles and 225/75/R15D tires (load rating 2540#). What I don't understand is why Coachmen didn't set the cargo capacity closer to 2000# as the 281/282 models and it wouldn't be exceeding the axle or tire limits.

You're best to ask Coachmen directly...the phone # in their online brochure is 800.353.7383.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome!
Cargo capacity only applies to the camper as it's loaded and traveling down the road and not when your camping and inside it.
Cargo capacity only includes things like.
Clothes
Food
Toiletries
Blankets n pillows
Tools
Dishes
Water in the fw tank
Etc etc etc.

The only cargo capacities that pertain to passengers is your tow vehicle and that includes things carried in the bed of your vehicle.

Does this help?

TURBS

golf cart safety instructor.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum mikeangie. A lot of knowledgeable people here.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
Always Learning

Turbs, why did you only specify "water in the FW tank"? Wouldn't all tanks qualify? (Gray(s), black and water heater?)

I know most of the time you empty some them before travel- but we don't always if we're traveling through.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #6

Thanks! We are debating between a White Hawk 282 and the Freedom Express 292. We love the layout of the 292, but the White Hawk has more cargo capacity and a much bigger gray water tank. What do others with the 292 do if they are not at a place with full hook-ups? We tend to camp three times a year for about four nights at places without hook-ups.
mikeangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Turbs, why did you only specify "water in the FW tank"? Wouldn't all tanks qualify? (Gray(s), black and water heater?)

I know most of the time you empty some them before travel- but we don't always if we're traveling through.
We'll lets just assume if you're taking fw then there's no "city" water at camping site ....
So if you take 35 gallon of fresh water you only have 35 gallon of gray and black when the fw is empty.
Still the same.
Now if you refill fw without dumping then you have a problem.

Clear as mud ?

TURBS

Old 01-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeangie View Post
Thanks! We are debating between a White Hawk 282 and the Freedom Express 292. We love the layout of the 292, but the White Hawk has more cargo capacity and a much bigger gray water tank. What do others with the 292 do if they are not at a place with full hook-ups? We tend to camp three times a year for about four nights at places without hook-ups.
We camp at least two times a year without fresh water for four nights and 3 days on 35 gallons of fw.
"Were a family of 5" "sometimes 7"
You have to be diligent with navy showers and water usage in general.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_shower

TURBS

Old 01-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #9

I know the 292BHDS were having spring problems a few years ago. Maybe you can talk the dealer into upgrading the springs to the next level and that would fix the cargo problem. I think the coachman is a much nicer camper than the. White hawk. Whatever you want the dealer will help out. Remember they want to sell a trailer...

Sent from my XT1080 using Forest River Forums mobile app
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote