Old 11-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
Catalina 293QBCK Buying Experience

A couple of weeks ago I started a thread titled "Almost Coachmen Owner" which provided the input I needed to make my buying decision. I pulled the trigger and took delivery of my new Coachmen 293QBCK on October 31st. The following details my experience; and yes, I am an amateur RV'r.

Took delivery on Saturday the 31st of October. Did the PDI with the dealer and everything looked and operated as advertised. Kids decided that they wanted to spend the night in the camper that Saturday night while in the driveway. They had a blast. We had not received rain in our area for 6 to 7 weeks at this point. Well, that night the bottom fell out. It was so bad that it ripped the roof off of the local high school and destroyed the front of the local elementary school about 4 miles from us.

This storm obviously woke me from my sleep which led to me immediately noticing a drip, drip, drip noise that was not coming from outside the camper. I found the leak inside the cabinet above the queen bed in the front bedroom. I quickly located a bowl to catch the water and scoured the rest of the camper trying to locate any other possible leaks. Fortunately I had found the only leak.

Sunday morning the rain slacked up enough to walk around and climb on top of the camper without drowning. I was able to spot additional issues that would need to be addressed. One being that the lengths of gutter on the sides had just been butted together and not sealed. This allowed water to drain out of the gutter system, down the sides of the camper, and onto the top of the slide. I was also able to see the cause of my leak. I think my camper was finished 5 minutes before quitting time on a Friday afternoon because they forgot to finish caulking about a 4" length of seam where my front sheet metal wraps around and butts to the roof.

I hauled the camper to my dealer, Bama RV, and turned it over to them for the warranty repairs. About 1 week later they called to let me know that I was ready to go. In the end, my dealer took care of me.

My advise to any new RV owner is to spend the night in the RV the very first time it rains. If we had put the unit into storage instead of bringing it home and going through the rain storm, we would have a moldy mess on our hands. Also, walk the roof on the PDI. Spotting the source of a potential leak is surprisingly easy.

All in all, I'm still happy with my decision.

BigJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
(Dry Huunday)
Glad you caught the leak so fast! Avoided a possible disaster for sure! Keep an eye on that seam, I had a small leak in that same spot when it was about 3 months old. A quick bead of Dicor took care of it and I haven't had a problem since. I also inspect the roof every couple of months now.
Congrats on your rig!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote

cat, catalina