Old 09-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

Catalina questions

Hi Folks,

A Newbie here. Had a small travel trailer years ago and now my wife and I are empty nesters and would like to do some camping. Have been keeping our eyes open for a camper and looked at one briefly from a private party.

It is a 2013 Catalina 30 ft. bunkhouse. The owner bought it new and told me it has been used only 4 times. My wife really liked the outdoor kitchen. One thing I don't like is that it has been stored outside. There is a little mildew on the siding but that will clean up OK I think. There is considerable mildew on the awning. It was rolled up so I could not see much of it. Don't know how that will clean up. It is dirty but other than that it looks really pretty good. It still has that "new" smell inside.

Since I'm very green at this I need some advice on things to look for on this particular trailer. Any words of wisdom are welcome.

Thanks in advance!!
Dale

Old 09-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #2

99.9% of campers are stored outdoors, so if that is important to you, won't be much to look at. You said you are empty nesters but looking at a bunkhouse

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #3

Thanks Dave, I just think storing outside can cause problems over a long period of time. This one is probably not old enough for that to be a problem.

As for the bunkhouse... When you are going used you have to take what you can find!!! We also have some young grandchildren that we hope will join us at times😀.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:58 PM   #4

yes, outside storage takes it's toll over time, but these things are high maintenance anyhow, so just need to keep up on it.

Makes good sense to get a bunkhouse if the grandkids will be regular. If not, maybe shop for what YOU want and they will be fine sleeping anywhere. They will be happy just being there.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:32 PM   #5

Point well taken!!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #6

A little bit of bleach and a brush will take care the mildew. As for the awning, spray a bleach water mix about 50/50 onto the awning. Roll it up and let sit about 5 minutes. Deploy back out and hose it off. Mildew will be gone. As for the BH we on my have one kid, so our top bunk is basically storage for lawn chairs and blankets. If and when he no longer goes with us, I'll probably rip it out and either expand the bath into it or my wife will have one kick butt walk in closet. But That a few years down the road.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Tags
cat, catalina