Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #1

Chaparral 336tsik Inverter Question - Dead Battery

We brought our new 2018 Chaparral 336tsik last Saturday. Parked her in the storage lot with the Jacks Down and turned the battery switch off. The next day I decided to raise the jacks and get her ready for indoor storage. The battery was so low it would not raise the jacks and lights were very dim.

I charged up the battery and reinstalled it. Once connected the inverter kicked on. Would the inverter cause a dead battery?

My wife is quite certain that the fridge is off. Any thoughts or ideas why I had a dead battery in a 24 hour window?

Thanks everyone
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Are you sure the battery disconnect switch is working properly?
Have you checked the battery on load or each cell with a hydrometer.?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

there could be many issues. the factory installed battery disconnect typically does not disconnect all loads from the battery when it is set to the disconnect position. there is typically some small draws for sensors and things, but they should not kill a battery in 24 hours. there is also much confusion about the terms on and off for the disconnect switch. some switches are wired so they disconnect the battery when the switch is off. some disconnect the battery when the switch in on (the disconnect is on). you said you turned your switch off but the next day the lights were weak. you did not say if you turned the switch back on before you tried the lights so we don't know how your switch is wired. then of course the batteries may not have even been fully charged. you just brought it home, how do you know they were fully charged when you drove it off the dealer lot? nor do we know how many and what type of batteries you have.

you mention an inverter. what is it used for. you also mention a refrigerator. do you have a residential refrigerator powered by the batteries through an inverter. typically in this configuration the inverter is wired directly to the batteries and is not affected by the position of the battery disconnect switch. if you had the refrigerator on and were powering it via the inverter most probably you drained the batteries. this can be done in less than 24 hours. some configurations won't last overnight. our inverter is dedicated to the refrigerator. the invertor has and on-off switch and the refrigerator has an on/off setting. but even when the refrigerator is set to off it still draws some power through the inverter. if not using the refrigerator, turn the inverter off.

I know this is a lot and I went through all this a few year ago when we brought our trailer home. it will take some experimenting and learning, but you will learn and understand.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are you sure the battery disconnect switch is working properly?
Have you checked the battery on load or each cell with a hydrometer.?

Hi. Yes the battery disconnect switch was in the off position. Charged the battery and as soon as I hooked it back up the inverter started running with the disconnect in the OFF position.

A load test and is next on the list. Brand new camper and brand new battery. Battery could be bad or not fully charged when they put it in. Just makes me wonder with the inverter on how much did it drawer down the battery (residential fridge was turned off).
Old 12-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
there could be many issues. the factory installed battery disconnect typically does not disconnect all loads from the battery when it is set to the disconnect position. there is typically some small draws for sensors and things, but they should not kill a battery in 24 hours. there is also much confusion about the terms on and off for the disconnect switch. some switches are wired so they disconnect the battery when the switch is off. some disconnect the battery when the switch in on (the disconnect is on). you said you turned your switch off but the next day the lights were weak. you did not say if you turned the switch back on before you tried the lights so we don't know how your switch is wired. then of course the batteries may not have even been fully charged. you just brought it home, how do you know they were fully charged when you drove it off the dealer lot? nor do we know how many and what type of batteries you have.

you mention an inverter. what is it used for. you also mention a refrigerator. do you have a residential refrigerator powered by the batteries through an inverter. typically in this configuration the inverter is wired directly to the batteries and is not affected by the position of the battery disconnect switch. if you had the refrigerator on and were powering it via the inverter most probably you drained the batteries. this can be done in less than 24 hours. some configurations won't last overnight. our inverter is dedicated to the refrigerator. the invertor has and on-off switch and the refrigerator has an on/off setting. but even when the refrigerator is set to off it still draws some power through the inverter. if not using the refrigerator, turn the inverter off.

I know this is a lot and I went through all this a few year ago when we brought our trailer home. it will take some experimenting and learning, but you will learn and understand.

Thanks. You share a lot of great information. When the disconnect switch is in the OFF position the lights will not come on. If it's set up like our MH was when you turn the disconnect to off it cuts all DC pose to the camper.

The residential fridge was turned off but I didn't realize that it still draws juice. You are correct that the battery (new) may not have been fully charged even with a two hour drive home with her.

I did find a junction Bloch which the positive lead for the battery was loose. Maybe not getting a full charge from my truck. I did turn the inverter off.

I'll find out tomorrow as I'm taking her to an indoor storage facility. I'll know then if I have a charged battery.

Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #6

there have been many posts about the battery disconnect switch not cutting all power. many people, myself included, have installed a true disconnect switch that cuts all power. I have my trailer in storage with no shore power and the batteries keep their charge just fine for a month or so when they are fully disconnected.

if the residential refrigerator is off it will not run the large power consuming compressor motor, but it still draws some power to keep the control board on so you can press a button and turn it back on.

there have been many, many posts about batteries and residential refrigerators.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #7

Quote:
there have been many posts about the battery disconnect switch not cutting all power. many people, myself included, have installed a true disconnect switch that cuts all power. I have my trailer in storage with no shore power and the batteries keep their charge just fine for a month or so when they are fully disconnected.

if the residential refrigerator is off it will not run the large power consuming compressor motor, but it still draws some power to keep the control board on so you can press a button and turn it back on.

there have been many, many posts about batteries and residential refrigerators.

Interesting points. She'll be going into heated storage tomorrow and won't be coming out until April 7th. I wonder if I should disconnect the positive terminal while in storage or put a battery tender on it.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsx2 View Post
We brought our new 2018 Chaparral 336tsik last Saturday. Parked her in the storage lot with the Jacks Down and turned the battery switch off. The next day I decided to raise the jacks and get her ready for indoor storage. The battery was so low it would not raise the jacks and lights were very dim.

I charged up the battery and reinstalled it. Once connected the inverter kicked on. Would the inverter cause a dead battery?

My wife is quite certain that the fridge is off. Any thoughts or ideas why I had a dead battery in a 24 hour window?

Thanks everyone
Are you sure it is an inverter, a thing that changes 12v into 120v? I would think it would be a converter/charger, a different beast. And yes, a factory installed battery disconnect would most probably not turn everything off. Some devices like the fridge, need a constant 12v to supply the control panel. You turn off the fridge by either hitting the OFF button on the panel (which uses the 12v) or pulling the plug.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Interesting points. She'll be going into heated storage tomorrow and won't be coming out until April 7th. I wonder if I should disconnect the positive terminal while in storage or put a battery tender on it.
Charge it fully overnight....then remove all wires on the negative post. Or buy the 7 buck Walmart terminal post disconnect. .to accomplish the same thing. A disconnected fully charged battery will last at least 3 months before charging needed... Longer in cold weather . Will not freeze if fully charged for similar time.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
Are you sure it is an inverter, a thing that changes 12v into 120v? I would think it would be a converter/charger, a different beast. And yes, a factory installed battery disconnect would most probably not turn everything off. Some devices like the fridge, need a constant 12v to supply the control panel. You turn off the fridge by either hitting the OFF button on the panel (which uses the 12v) or pulling the plug.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2783.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	158619

Thanks for responding to our post. I've attached a photo of the inverter that kicked in the moment I connected the battery. It's right next to the battery in the front compartment.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Charge it fully overnight....then remove all wires on the negative post. Or buy the 7 buck Walmart terminal post disconnect. .to accomplish the same thing. A disconnected fully charged battery will last at least 3 months before charging needed... Longer in cold weather . Will not freeze if fully charged for similar time.

I should of read your post earlier. We just put the 5th wheel away. It's in a heated building (old Sam's Club) with other campers, boats and collectable cars. I did not disconnect the battery cable I only turned off the disconnect switch.

We take her out of storage the first week of April.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #12

did you disconnect all loads from the batteries by disconnecting a battery cable? will you have it plugged into some form of shore power (a 15 amp circuit is fine)? if the answer to both questions is no I would not expect the batteries to last until april. there are very probably loads on the batteries even with the factory disconnect switch set to off.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:36 PM   #13

A correct inverter connection has large wires connected to,the battery not thru the disconnect I would assume. Line loss is awful.

I suspect your inverter was on standby consuming power. Plus the fridge on standby. Likely the battery system was not fully charged as well.

Your tow vehicle does not provide much charging ability to the rv.

Residential fridges use a ton of battery power. Likely one or more a day.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
A correct inverter connection has large wires connected to,the battery not thru the disconnect I would assume. Line loss is awful.

I suspect your inverter was on standby consuming power. Plus the fridge on standby. Likely the battery system was not fully charged as well.

Your tow vehicle does not provide much charging ability to the rv.

Residential fridges use a ton of battery power. Likely one or more a day.

I believe you are spot on. As soon as I installed the fully charged battery with the disconnect in the "OFF" position the inverter kicked on.

You raise an interesting point. We travel to Myrtle Beach every year. Drive about 10 hours and stop at a rest stop for the evening. At that point I wonder how strong the battery will be before we call it a night let alone the drive in the morning.

When we had our MH we would just fire up the generator for the night. I think we'll be bringing a small Gen for our overnights at the rest stops.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #15

Quote:
did you disconnect all loads from the batteries by disconnecting a battery cable? will you have it plugged into some form of shore power (a 15 amp circuit is fine)? if the answer to both questions is no I would not expect the batteries to last until april. there are very probably loads on the batteries even with the factory disconnect switch set to off.

You are correct the answer is "NO". I guess I'll be making a trip to disconnect the battery cables. It is in a heated building so I should be okay until after the holidays.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #16

Quote:
I should of read your post earlier. We just put the 5th wheel away. It's in a heated building (old Sam's Club) with other campers, boats and collectable cars. I did not disconnect the battery cable I only turned off the disconnect switch.

We take her out of storage the first week of April.

Thanks
The batteries will be murdered long before that I'm afraid....not just depleted. Batteries might last a month before the parasitic loads get them especially if not fully charged to 100%. Can you just get them out of the coach and trickle charge them up at home? If not...bring new ones with you in April.

BTW,,,if you can remove them. Take pictures with your phone of all the wires connected so that come spring...you won't have any surprises!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
Old 12-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #17

Quote:
The batteries will be murdered long before that I'm afraid....not just depleted. Batteries might last a month before the parasitic loads get them especially if not fully charged to 100%. Can you just get them out of the coach and trickle charge them up at home? If not...bring new ones with you in April.

BTW,,,if you can remove them. Take pictures with your phone of all the wires connected so that come spring...you won't have any surprises!

I actually had the battery out and fully charged it. Simple process. I'll run up the first weekend in January and pull the battery.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Attachment 158619

Thanks for responding to our post. I've attached a photo of the inverter that kicked in the moment I connected the battery. It's right next to the battery in the front compartment.
According to the manual...there should be a 100amp slow blow DC fuse on the positive wire to the battery AND it should be within 18 inches of the battery....So...another way to tackle the parasitic loss from the inverter is to simply remove the fuse until you need to use it.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #19

Quote:
I actually had the battery out and fully charged it. Simple process. I'll run up the first weekend in January and pull the battery.

Thanks for the heads up!
Our posts passed in the night again....anyway...good solution. Happy to help. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #20

Quote:
According to the manual...there should be a 100amp slow blow DC fuse on the positive wire to the battery AND it should be within 18 inches of the battery....So...another way to tackle the parasitic loss from the inverter is to simply remove the fuse until you need to use it.

Hmm. The positive cable goes to a Junction Block which is about 18". I'll take a closer look at it when I'm out there in two weeks. Thanks for your insight.

Tags
battery, inverter