Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #1

Chaparral 360IBL dump question

Quick question. After ensuring that all tanks are dumped prior to leaving the RV park, I've found that there is about a half gallon of liquid still in the sewer line end connection when getting back to the storage facility we keep our RV at. I spend a considerable amount of time flushing and draining my tanks and ensuring no liquid is coming out before leaving the park. It really surprised me how much water was trapped somewhere and worked loose while traveling back. It sits right behind the drain cap. Anyone else with this issue?

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:44 AM   #2

I think most hold some water. That's why I use a twist on valve on my dump end then put the cap on it. I don't like surprises.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yep... have had that on the last two I've had.
I use a sewer port cap with a garden hose adapter.
I leave the small cap for the garden hose port loosely threaded and by the time I get home, the small amount of water that finds its way there has dripped out.

Similar to this one...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Quick question. After ensuring that all tanks are dumped prior to leaving the RV park, I've found that there is about a half gallon of liquid still in the sewer line end connection when getting back to the storage facility we keep our RV at. I spend a considerable amount of time flushing and draining my tanks and ensuring no liquid is coming out before leaving the park. It really surprised me how much water was trapped somewhere and worked loose while traveling back. It sits right behind the drain cap. Anyone else with this issue?
Tanks are "Very seldom" Pitched toward the outlet when at a DUMP station! So to have "Water" after "Going down the Road" is Normal! Having "Water" behind the Cap is Not Normal,you have a Valve leaking! Youroo!!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Tanks are "Very seldom" Pitched toward the outlet when at a DUMP station! So to have "Water" after "Going down the Road" is Normal! Having "Water" behind the Cap is Not Normal,you have a Valve leaking! Youroo!!
Valve inst leaking. Otherwise it would especially be leaking when the tanks are full. It must be liquid held in the plumbing after the valves. Probably just shakes loose while driving. It's appears to be my Kitchen sink grey water.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #6
Always Learning

My guess is that your pipes are holding onto some water. It would happen to me- not that much, but it happened. I finally just bought a Valterra end-of-line valve and close that right at the sewer connection. No more surprises.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Valve inst leaking. Otherwise it would especially be leaking when the tanks are full. It must be liquid held in the plumbing after the valves. Probably just shakes loose while driving. It's appears to be my Kitchen sink grey water.
I had the same issue with mine. I'd empty it, flush it, empty it, flush again, empty it and wait 5-10 minutes and then put the cap on. Then had some nice surprises when open it at the next campground. Dealer put a scope up the line and found that part of the gasket was pinched when closed and allowing an extremely slow leak that would be waiting for me at the cap.

The movement of the camper would get whatever was left in the tank to drain and the valve would not hold it because of this tiny pin hole leak. They replaced my valve this winter and will be testing the new on Memorial Day weekend.