Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2014, 03:38 AM   #1

Chaparral 390 QSMB

I am looking at the 390 QSMB on line. One dealer lists the length as 40' long, another lists it as 42'. The manufacture website doesn't have this unit listed at all. I know it's new(2015), and probably hasn't been added to the website yet. Does anyone know how long it is(might not fit in my carport).
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #2

41' 9"
Luckydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

Thanks Luckydog
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

Did you get it? I think it has a great floor plan. It was just a bit longer than we had thought of getting and more $$. Would love to see how somebody's using one!
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #5

We bought one earlier this month. OMG it is big. So far we love it but we are brand new to having a travel trailer so its been a huge learning curve. We have teenage boys so the extra room is why we went with it.
The Bald Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #6

The Bald Guy...be sure to post pics and comments along your journey. We have the 360 IBL which is quite similar, just smaller than the 390. Taking out bunkroom to make it my crafting room. Would like to know what mods you do and what issues you encounter, if any!
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:03 AM   #7
Always Learning

I love these floor plans- I just wish they wired better for me!
Old 03-02-2015, 12:12 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Doug- sabre, sandpiper and Salem hemisphere all have the midship bunk too. I love these floor plans also but worry about the 42' length. The shorter chaparral is a bit narrow on shoulder room in the hallway for our preference. The sandpiper version is my favorite but getting a bit heavy for my truck and my current 15k hitch.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Doug- sabre, sandpiper and Salem hemisphere all have the midship bunk too. I love these floor plans also but worry about the 42' length. The shorter chaparral is a bit narrow on shoulder room in the hallway for our preference. The sandpiper version is my favorite but getting a bit heavy for my truck and my current 15k hitch.

The 42' length is already where I'm at, so that isn't a worry. My issues are likely my own with the way we travel with 3-4 adults and 2 kids. I do love these midship bunks, though. Just wish I could custom design something and not end up in the poorhouse afterwards!
Old 03-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #10

Check out the Brookstone 395. It has the queen bed up front, a queen bed loft, the bunk room with bunk and hide a bed sofa, and the sofa in the rear makes into a queen bed.
Luckydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog View Post
Check out the Brookstone 395. It has the queen bed up front, a queen bed loft, the bunk room with bunk and hide a bed sofa, and the sofa in the rear makes into a queen bed.
I've actually toured it (took our whole 6 person crew). Beautiful unit. And, I loved being able to sit around inside and have seating for everyone, be able to talk to each other, and face the TV.

But like everything, there are few things that make you scratch your head and wonder what they were thinking.

AND- it is expensive. The one we looked at, we were given a quote of $60-70k.

I still am not sure if I can come to terms with losing the 1/2 bath and outside kitchen, either. Lots to think about.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:53 PM   #12

We just purchased the 390qsmb we love the layout and can't wait to get it set up and camping
Spenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #13

brookstone 395

Luckydog-do you own this unit? We are looking at purchasing one this week. Any info you could give would be great!
susanb06239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:22 PM   #14

Picked up our 2016 390 QSMB last weekend, I can't say I was overwhelmed by the quality or craftsmanship. The unit only has 3 drawers in kitchen but I had to glue them together so they wouldn't be destroyed in seconds. I opted for the second ac unit (thank God) in the master bedroom. The main unit runs everywhere else but we have to shut all vents down to get air in the bunk room. The main is supposed to be a 15000 btu unit but not sure if so. I will check it out. Other options were larger tv (nice) lippert 6 point auto leveling (outstanding) Larger fridge (outstanding) ultra leather sofa (really nice now) JT strong arm (I like them but not necessary. Unit is rock solid, but bolts were not tight and 150 miles later we were lucky to still have them) All options from factory. Found a chip in the side someone tried to hide with matching caulk. The main kitchen slide was rubbing on one end and after 3 cycles in/out the vapor barrier on the underside is shredded, and seal torn. Oh and slideout sides are not hard board sides but flexible MRP panel(cant be efficient). The workmanship is a little sloppy, well a lot sloppy with screws missing their mark, some not hitting at all, going in sideways and some not even driven in. Enough bitching about the bad. We LOVE the layout. Plenty of space, beautiful interior color scheme that will be stylish for years to come. Queen size bed in bunk room is comfy and just a great space in the right area. Really nice bathroom, Super master suite. Love Love Love the outdoor grill and fridge. We were told you had to use small propane bottles for it and couldn't use the tanks but after we left the dealer I noticed they plumbed gas line over to it but didn't include connector hose. This thing pulls like a dream. I have shortbed truck and opted for the Highjacker autoslide. They say I didn't need it but if you get on a hillside its nice to know it wont bust the back glass out. All in all I think its a great unit and will last with routine maintenance and but Extended warrant might be a must depending on coverage options. I would like to hear from new owners. Thanks
Tnob454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:59 PM   #15

So far so good like you said only minor things.. We do love the layout and the comfort the shower is great. Boy sold on the quality though I expected a little more from coachman. I am definitely concerned with the AC I also received the 15k front and 13k rear, (very noisy). We did buy the extended warranty
Old 04-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #16

390qsmb

Its not hard to get past the little things because the floor plan is so nice and comfortable. The dealer and coachman are bending over backwards to get my small issues fixed right now and that makes me feel better. Did order another baggage catch for driver side swing out door to keep it from banging against propane door in the wind . I will install that this week, could have came with it but not a big deal. Didnt get to camp this weekend but looking forward to next weekend
Tnob454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #17

One thing to check that I never would have seen if it wasn't for me relaxing in the reclining sofa (on my 360IBL but check yours).. both of my foot rests on the under side of it when opened were ripped on the corners. Coachmen first wanted to see if it could be repaired and the dealer had someone come out. I will give them credit that it looked better BUT once corner couldn't be stretched enough so all they did was put glue on it.

Finally got approval and a new reclining couch was shipped to my dealer and it is there now being put in.

Make sure you recline both chairs and get on your knees and look under the foot rests to make sure you don't have any tears in the corner.

I'm in the same boat in regards to the craftsmanship quality.. or lack there of. Great layout but carpet wasn't tacked down in corners, drawers in island are unfinished, bumps all under the flooring (being ripped up to see what it is caused from), door knob instead of the handle being at 9o'clock, was at 8 o clock and I could see through the door hole into the bathroom.

Just ridiculous on some of the crap the manufacturer does!!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:53 PM   #18

Thanks for the reply. I will certainly check it out next time we are at the camp.

I do have a question on the 390QSMB my control panel says Black Tank 2 if that is the case what is the tank for? Where is the drain at?
Old 04-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenser View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will certainly check it out next time we are at the camp.

I do have a question on the 390QSMB my control panel says Black Tank 2 if that is the case what is the tank for? Where is the drain at?
Here is my couch to help you in where it was. My camper went straight from the factory to my dealer and left within 24 hours to be sent to my house (delivered). So this was factory damage..

As far as Black Tank 2.. You do not have a 2nd black tank so it means nothing. Mine says the same thing and I only have 1. They use the same panel for models that have 2 bathrooms...
Old 04-21-2015, 05:57 AM   #20

That's what I assumed, but no harm in asking. Thanks