Old 06-25-2019, 09:58 PM   #1

Chaparral lite second a/c install question

First time fifth wheel owner. Just sold our class A pusher. Bought a new chaparral lite. Only came with one a/c unit. Not cooling like we want. My understanding is the vent in front in bedroom is pre wired for a additional ac unit. I have a ac unit from my previous motorhome. What will be necessary for me to install it? Seals, air box....? Can it be ducted into the existing duct work or will it just have to dump out the bottom? Will it be wired into the thermostat or manually controlled? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Pinecrestfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:17 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum it is a great place to get your questions answered. You can install it or have someone do it for you. you will have to have an AC seal between the Ac unit and the rig. You can tell if the unit was ducted to that area by pulling the existing vent and see if the ducts are there is not then the AC unit will need to dump air in that area.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:44 PM   #3

Adding a second A/C unit to an RV can be easy or hard, depending on what you have to work with. So there is a vent in the front bedroom, but is it pre-wired for electrical power to the A/C and wired for the t'stat? IF so, then you are lucky and had a lot of work done for you. IF it is not pre-wired then you will have to figure out how to get power to that new A/C unit. IF you are planning on using a wall mounted t'stat they you will have to figure out how to run t'stat wiring between the A/C unit and the new t'stat. IF you have a working unit from a previous RV then you may only need to gasket that goes between the A/C unit and the roof. Once the vent has been removed you will know for sure about the A/C wiring and the t'stat wiring. You will also be able to determine IF the front unit can be tied into any existing A/C ductwork in the ceiling. IF it can be tied into the current ductwork they you will have to buy a certain type Air Distribution Box (ADB) which will divert the cold air to the ductwork. IF there is NO ductwork to tie into then you will need a different ADB which allows the cold air from the new unit to exit either via vents built into the ADB or there may be a dump to send all the cooled air into the bedroom fast. There are so many variables to figure in when adding a second A/C unit. I added a second unit in my TT using an existing vent over the front bed. I had to add extra framing between the rafters to support the weight of the A/C unit, run new wiring for the A/C power, I decided not to use a t'stat so I bought an ADB with built in controls. All has been well with this set up for over two years now
Old 06-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #4

A/C

Thurman's explanation on the variables which could be involved in adding a second A/C is daunting at best. I thank my lucky stars that I asked around when ordering our 321 FEDSLE last summer. I was going to have the bedroom prewired for A/C -2 and 50A service at a modest cost. When I mentioned this to a friend he suggested that I just bite the bullet and check to see the cost of adding the second A/C at the factory during buildout. I was quite surprised that the whole upgrade came in at only $1100.00. Now, the second A/C is not ducted but I'm okay with that. I read somewhere that someone had prewiring done and a dealer wanted like $3000.00 to install #2. Outrageous!
The second A/C is prewired and has the control for an electric heat coil which I will install this summer.
Hope all goes well with your project and I hope it's prewired.
Tow Haul 3.55 rear
Hingham, Mass.
capt104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #5

I can tell you if the 2nd AC is not a Coleman unit, you will not be able to tie it into Digital Zone Thermostat which both are installed in your FW. It will have to be independently controlled either by mounting an additional thermostat or controlled at the AC itself, as stated by Thurman

It would help to know what make and model of AC you have that you want to install?

I installed my own 2nd AC in my Phoenix 336RL (Chaparrals & Phoenix are made in the same factory) and went with a twin Coleman Mach, but a 13k BTUs unit This allowed me to tie into the racetrack duct work and also these AC units communicate and provide assistance to the whichever AC needs it. There are times only 1 AC unit is running at a time depending on demand. This can only be done with another Coleman unit.

I purchased the AC and all needed parts from Dyers RV online, they offer free shipping and had the cheapest price of any online reseller. Also they ship direct from a warehouse closest to you.
Nights Camped 2019 = 40
Nights Camped 2018 = 28
Nights Camped 2017 = 27
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #6

I added a 2nd on my chaparral lite 5vr. It came prewired and ready. My son in law and I completed the job in about 3 hrs. It is not tied into ductwork but has an airbox. I also added heat strip to it. Use it for extra daytime cooling and works great.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #7

I have a Prime Time Crusader Lite that was not wired for a second AC. I purchase a new Dometic 15K rooftop AC unit on Ebay, no taxes and free shipping, purchase the required wiring, circuit breaker, breaker box, 30 amp power cable & connections, all for $650.00. New AC unit came with inside controls and seal for roof. I removed the skylight in bedroom, beefed the opening up to support the weight (110 lbs.) and installed unit. The ceiling control and cover has vents or you can just dump the air. One thing you should check closely is the location of your skylight opening, mine was too close to a wall, I had to trim an inch off of the inside ceiling cover in order to get it to fit. I cut it with a band saw and then using aluminum tape, I covered the opening. I usually run the unit on low, otherwise I would freeze. Good luck with your installation.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #8
Pete

Make sure your electric service supply to your unit is 50 amp. Need this to run both A/Cs at same time plus other draws. ie. microwave, TV, etc.
Just had second A/C installed on our class C. Had to be wired separately and plugged in to 20 amp outlet. Can also plug in to home outlet when loading unit for trips.

gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite