Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #1

Clipper 17FQ Thermostat

The Coleman air conditioner came with the temp and fan controls built in on the ceiling and what little we got to use it after purchasing in the fall neither of us were happy with it trying to get the temperature right. After much research I found out the was a control package that could be added to the AC so you could use a standard wall thermostat.

I finally got around to installing/testing the Coleman Non-Ducted Cool Only Control Package and a Honeywell RH111 thermostat today. The installation was very simple and I was able to fish the wiring though the ceiling and wall so all is hidden and connected the furnace/heater in as well.

Works great, now heat and cooling is all in one place on the wall with a temperature read out so no more guessing how far to turn the knob to set the temp we want. PLUS the fan now cycles instead of running all the time. Highly recommend this mod.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #2

Any pictures?

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #3

Not much to see other than a new thermostat on the wall, did add a switch to set the fan on high or low speed. All wiring was fished and is hidden in the wall and ceiling. The control box is inside the AC unit return air, it mounted on pre-installed studs.

I did not purchase a new air box cover/grille, figured I would just get some hole plugs to cover the openings where the ceiling mounted thermostat was located. Put the old controller on a shelf in case I ever need to change it back.

The hardest part was using my poor soldering skills to prepare the switch for mounting in the thermostat to control the fan speed. Otherwise super easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.resized.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	98052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.resized.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	98053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.resized.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	98054  
Old 01-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #4

Wow.. We have a 2015 Clipper and have the same issue of keeping the "right" temperature in the cabin when using the AC. I am definitely looking into doing this. Especially when you mentioned that the mod allowed you to cycle the unit on and off. Quite noisy when the fan is always on.
roborau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:05 AM   #5

Hmmm - pretty sure our Clipper 17FQ has a Dometic AC unit. (can't go out and check right now 'cause it's covered with snow)

Was the unit you installed specifically for Coleman units?
2DogNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #6

As you will find that Coleman-Mach 3 IS Dometic Airxcel. The model in mine is a 48253C969 and I used the Coleman-Mach 8330-752 control unit to add the thermostat. I think it is a standard unit used across almost all their line of cool only units. There is also a replacement cover (8430-633) that does not have holes where the old control was mounted, I just got some chrome hole plugs. Cheaper than $125 for a new cover.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #7

I've also considered replacing the guess-a-temperature thermostat with one that has a readout. And while we have yet to use the AC (in Colorado we just open a window) this mod sounds like a great idea.

Thanks for the info!

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #8

Ky-N - thanks for the thermostat info, and for correcting me on the mfg. Did not know that they were the same...
2DogNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DogNyte View Post
Ky-N - thanks for the thermostat info, and for correcting me on the mfg. Did not know that they were the same...
Yep I was surprised as I thought they were separate companies until I got to digging for a way to add the thermostat.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
rke

Does this controller turn the blower fan on and off when the compressor starts and stops? Or does the fan continuously run?
rke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rke View Post
Does this controller turn the blower fan on and off when the compressor starts and stops? Or does the fan continuously run?
The fan cycles. One of the BEST benefits of doing the upgrade is not having to listen to that darn fan all the time.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #12

I'm definitely going to do this. A few questions though:

1. Found the control module on eBay but I'm wondering if there was a particular reason you didn't go with a Coleman thermostat like the 8330-3362 that already has the capability to select fan speed?

2. How do the control wires for the propane heater get wired into your new thermostat?

3. You said it was fairly easy to fish the wires thru the ceiling and wall - exactly how did you accomplish that? I've got a fish tape but am not sure how to transition from the ceiling down the wall.

Thanks!!
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #13

1. Found the control module on eBay but I'm wondering if there was a particular reason you didn't go with a Coleman thermostat like the 8330-3362 that already has the capability to select fan speed?

You can use any thermostat you like, I used the Honeywell since they are easy to find and it is like the one in our house.

2. How do the control wires for the propane heater get wired into your new thermostat?

Put the new thermostat in the same location as the heaters so it was just a matter of making the heaters connections in the thermostat. Plenty of wiring diagrams showing how to make the connections.

3. You said it was fairly easy to fish the wires thru the ceiling and wall - exactly how did you accomplish that? I've got a fish tape but am not sure how to transition from the ceiling down the wall.

All my wiring is in line with the power panel in the overhead cabinet, fished from the AC to it and from it down the wall, just followed the other wires.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #14

Thanks!
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat