Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewheelman View Post
Anyone know what lurks behind this mystery cabinet? It surrounds the radio on our 2014 Clipper 17FQ. If it's just there to protect the radio connections, there's a lot of wasted space!

On ours the radio and electric panel are all in that space and even so there is still quite a bit of waste that could be utilized. I have no plans at this time to try and recover any of it.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
On ours the radio and electric panel are all in that space and even so there is still quite a bit of waste that could be utilized. I have no plans at this time to try and recover any of it.

Thanks for the reply! I'll probably try to recover some of that space. At least now I know what to expect when I open it up!

Thanks again!
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
thewheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:03 PM   #23

Behind the radio

Here is the back of the factory radio in our 2017 17fq. Yours may be comparable. Sorry, the iPhone copied the photo on its side. Radio should be at the bottom of cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	186853  
Old 09-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #24

Yes, thank you! All there is in that box (pictured above) is the radio wiring--so now I have my 12v source on that side of the camper for my awning lights and (hopefully) my step lights.

I dug into some cabinet space today, preparing to replace blank panel above furnace with a drawer. and some other projects.

I opened up the power box and the little fan is not turning. Is it supposed to be on all the time?

Thanks in advance!
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
Old 09-19-2018, 10:21 PM   #25

Cooling fan

Don't be alarmed. The cooling fan in the power converter comes on as needed only. For example, if there was a draw on the batteries while plugged into AC house current, the converter would kick in to maintain the batteries, and the fan would soon follow.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersimpson View Post
Here is the back of the factory radio in our 2017 17fq. Yours may be comparable. Sorry, the iPhone copied the photo on its side. Radio should be at the bottom of cabinet.
My Wolf Pup 16BHS had a similar waste of space. Actually worse since the side panel into the attached storage bin was cocked at a near 45 degree angle wasting bin space. I squared that off in the first week of ownership. My panel over the radio had a frame with a panel stapled into it from the back. I popped that panel out, cut and laid in some Luan over the radio. I put the wires running up the back into some split loom I had to clean up their appearance. And then put a small plastic tray on top of the Luan over the radio for a handy catch all for pocket junk and a hat.

I found a LOT of angled slapped in panels that are in place to hide wires and piping. I trimmed and moved them all to gain more storage space. In all the cabinets, under the sink and under the bed.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #27

My wife and I were frustrated about clothes hangers didn’t fit in the closets on each side of the bed. I actually purchased child size hangers from Walmart and the fit perfectly. I also placed clear plexiglass at the front bottom of each closet coming up about 5 inches. I did this so we could place all other clothes on the shelf and not have them fall out when we opened the closet doors. Keeping it clear helps to see what’s in there. I also added LED switch lights I bought at Harbor Freight to give plenty of light while searching for clothes. I placed them on the back side of the doors. Placed a wooden fold up counter at the end of the counter perfect for our TV and DVD player.
clearn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #28

We have gone from tenting to a 2019 Clipper 17 FQ, so we are trailer newbies. We have had it out twice on short trips and it is comfortable for the two of us. We had 2 6 volt batteries installed and we purchased a 120 watt solar panel for it. We also had a Maxxair cover put on the bathroom vent so we can drive with the vent open. But being in Alberta this weekend looks like winter is setting in so we winterized it and it is now in storage. Last trip we got to test the furnace and it was toasty with the temperature near 0 C at night. We did have to figure out why the furnace would work and then not work. Finally we figured out there is a switch on the bathroom door and the furnace won't run with the door open. We want to do some changes over the winter. One is after bypassing the hot water tank I definitely want to make the access panel easier to use. Also we would like to put some shelves in the front closets on either side of the bed. I have already made two locking metal straps from a plan I saw on YouTube to secure the batteries. I will be bring the batteries home for the winter but next spring I will install a battery disconnect switch to make it easier to isolate the batteries when the trailer is not in use. We are looking forward to some trips this spring and summer up into the mountains west of us.
bobstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:15 PM   #29

Welcome to the 17FQ community! I've never heard of a switch on the bathroom door.....ours is a 2014, so they may not have installed them at that point. We use a small ceramic heater which keeps us quite cozy on the campground electric instead of burning our LP! Happy Camping!
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
Old 09-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #30

Switch on the door? Maybe it’s a Canadian standard?

We also use an electric heater in campgrounds, with the furnace as backup.

Welcome, bobstew.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #31

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vrBm9ZZ1MdkSp87f9

I believe the switch is there because the bathroom door can be opened in front of the furnace which could be a fire hazard or restrict the air flow at least.. Our furnace and converter are under the fridge. I will try adding a photo , fingers crossed.
bobstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobstew View Post
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vrBm9ZZ1MdkSp87f9

I believe the switch is there because the bathroom door can be opened in front of the furnace which could be a fire hazard or restrict the air flow at least.. Our furnace and converter are under the fridge. I will try adding a photo , fingers crossed.
Your Welcome PM has a link to a Forums 101 thread which includes a post with instructions on posting pics. Click the 7 to see that post. ==> #7

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
I made a post with a picture but it seems to have not worked. Our unit has a large fridge with a separate freezer door that sits beside the stove and right against the bathroom wall. The shower is on the other side of the wall. The furnace and converter sit under the fridge. It is possible to open the bathroom door and either restrict the furnace air flow or perhaps create a fire hazard if the door is left open. We thought our furnace was acting up until my wife closed the door and it started. That is when I looked and saw a push button switch in the door jamb and sure enough pushing it in allows the furnace to run.
Right. See post #32 for instructions.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:07 PM   #34

I posted the wrong picture. Here are two shots showing the fridge. The furnace sits below the fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-FOREST-RIVER-CLIPPER-17-FQ-9850-60342.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	215763   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-FOREST-RIVER-CLIPPER-17-FQ-9850-60344.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	215764  
Old 09-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #35

Now the door switch makes sense. I had never seen that layout in a 17fq before.

I hope DW doesn’t see that bigger fridge and want one just like it!
Old 09-24-2019, 11:14 PM   #36

Clipper 17FQ thread

That’s odd! My (Canadian) 17bh has the bathroom door and the furnace in a similar config but no switch. If it had one, I’d be bypassing it because it gets cold in that bathroom, I always crank the furnace before showering in cool weather!
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #37

Over our RF window is a sticker that says TV mount. I have used a stud finder to map out the area and it is plenty big enough to use the mount I was looking at on Amazon for a 24 inch flat panel. My question is what is a safe screw length to use for the wall thickness of a 17 FQ to mount a TV mount there ? I could have nightmares of going outside and seeing a screw sticking out through the siding ! thanks !
Old 10-13-2019, 05:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Over our RF window is a sticker that says TV mount. I have used a stud finder to map out the area and it is plenty big enough to use the mount I was looking at on Amazon for a 24 inch flat panel. My question is what is a safe screw length to use for the wall thickness of a 17 FQ to mount a TV mount there ? I could have nightmares of going outside and seeing a screw sticking out through the siding ! thanks !
Just keep in mind that the walls are built with 1-1/2" studs and 1/8" luan wall board. You also have to look at the thickness of the wall bracket. I wouldn't go any longer than 1-5/8" and make sure you go into a stud or backer board.
WNY_Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #39

We're also brand new to RV'ing and purchased wa 2019 17FQ. Put about 700 miles on it in the past 2 months and just got back this weekend from a final 2 night trip. Got lucky, get back and had time to put the cover on it yesterday before the snow today! Adding the drawer is a mod I will be planning. Thinking about adding the second battery bext year to try some boondocking.
I'm looking at adding a bike rack but I want to use one that is a trailer hitch rack so I can use it on the truck also. Can I move the spare tire to one side to add the trailer hitch clamp on the bumper? Or, has anyone moved the spare tire to the front?
I also see some talk about flipping the axle and changing the tires from 14" to 15", what is the reason for that?
I'm also adding a TV facing the bed so I see that the antenna and 12 volt can be picked up from the back of the radio. Can't wait until the spring to get moving on these projects!
rrtwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #40

The frame is NOT strong enough to support a bike rack. A bike has more bounce to it and will take the bumper right off, unless reinforced. If you search “bike rack” here, lots of threads will come up, including info on the kit to reinforce.

Flipping the axle gives you more height for off-roading and with a larger tire size, there are more options for replacement tires than with a 13 or 14”. I’m sure there are other benefits but I’ve never had the need so haven’t researched...
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote