Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #1

Clipper 17FQ thread

Looking to start a thread dedicated to 17FQ owners - Clipper or Viking.

I've searched, and seen a lot of 17FQ owners in various threads here, discussing various subjects from towing to electric to solar to wheels to modifications...etc.

It might be helpful to all of us to have a single thread dedicated to our particular model...or, at least, as a place to find each other easily.

I'll start: we got our Coachmen Clipper 17FQ (also called 179FQ sometimes?) in Aug 2015, and it is our first TT. The first couple trips -- we have about 1600 miles on it now -- have taught us a lot about TT camping, and shown us a lot about what we do not yet know!

For instance we want to do a lot more dry camping and boondocking, so the factory supplied single Grp 24 battery and 20-gallon propane tank will not suffice. We've already added a 2nd battery to match the Interstate provided, and have a spare LP tank we can switch out if necessary. Next step will be addition of solar, to renew those batteries each day.

33 gallons each for the gray and black tanks are just about adequate for the two of us for our typically 4-day weekend trips...but just.

We have some modifications in mind (3-burner stove in place of the 2-burner supplied) and would like to see what your modifications have been, or are soon to be...

Yeah, in hindsight, I'd probably rather have an Airstream, but a combination of budget, what was available, and sleeping arrangements (the FQ's walk-around queen bed was definitely the selling point. Cool as they are, Wally B, Airstreams have terrible sleeping arrangements IMHO!) got us into this Clipper, so that's where we'll stay, for the foreseeable future.

So, Clipper owners - particularly 17FQ pilots - sign in and let us know all about yours!

doug
2DogNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #2

We traded if a DOG of a R-Pod 171 after spending 5 weeks in it traveling out west, the biggest selling point for the 17FQ was the walk around bed. We camp at sites with full hook ups so not much need to mod most of the things you listed. I have been working on it for the past several weeks trying to remove the silicon that was smeared all over around the windows and compartment openings.

Just finished flipping the axle for more clearance to replace the 13 inch tires with more readily available 14 inch or may be 15 inch but I already have some new 14 inch rims so that is likely the route I will go. Of course now I need to replace the single step with a double. Still plan on putting flashing or something on to cover the bottom plastic insulation and get mud flaps on to protect the waste drain pipes.

Made a drawer to fit in the spot over the furnace and added shelves in the cabinets. Also cut an opening into the storage area under the seat next to the door taking about half of it to have a place to store shoes by the door. And I made snap in covers out if some cabinet doors for access to the pumping/electric under the furnace and the water heater in the bathroom.

Added 12v pancake fans to help cool the refrigerator, added insulation around it that was left out and rearranged to baffling so the air would flow better. And moved the spare tire to the tongue so the TT would better fit into the storage area.

That is all I have done so far...
Ky-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:00 PM   #3

Wow! That's a great response! Lots of good ideas there! I've been into the areas housing the pump and the water heater, and thought how inconvenient they are to access. Something that makes access quicker is a great idea. Love to see pics of how you accomplished it!

I've heard of others opening up the space above the heater -- another good idea. I don't think heat should be an issue... 40% of the heat produced by those factory heaters goes out the vents! My thought has been to replace it with a catalytic propane heater like this one Olympian Wave 3.

Speaking of shelves... one thing I have already done is to remove the closet rods in the closets beside the bed, and put two shelves in each closet. Much more useful that way...

Like you, they had us at "walk-around bed" ! ;>)

doug
Old 10-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #4

Forgot to mention the 30 amp Progressive Surge protector and wet bushings in the spring hangers when I flipped the axle.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:34 AM   #5

We upgraded from a pop-up to our 17FQ for about 18 months. The bed was a major selling point along with the fit and finish of the trailer. It's just the right size for the two of us. Our modifications so far include:

Drawer above the heater
Screw posts and knurled nuts on access panels
Replaced incandescent bulbs with LEDs
Installed LED reading lamps on either side of the bed
Added an extension to the hose from the three way valve that sucks RV antifreeze when winterizing. The original (short) one is worthless.

The drawer above the heater does get a bit warm so I plan to add a decorative grate in the side of the cabinet to vent any excess heat. Also thinking of adding a second battery but will require relocation of the LP regulator. Solar panel is a good idea to keep the battery topped off. I wonder if one could be mounted on the front window flip-up cover. Axle flip is in the future as most of our camping is boondocking. And better protection for the dump valves is a good idea.

Ky-N, That's a great idea of adding a shoe shelf into the under seat storage. It would keep them nicely out of the way. If you took photos of that and the work you did around the fridge please upload them.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:17 PM   #6

Sorry I don't have any pics, probably should just to document the changes but I will get some when I get a chance. Might be a bit though.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #7

LaPlata - thanks for your input. Question - regarding the water-pump-suck-in - do I take that to mean that you fill your lines with anti-freeze? After removing the water?

May I ask why, since blowing out the water removes the water, and if there is no water to freeze, why anti-freeze?

Also, would like to see how you did the screw posts on the access panels. My panels are inside the frames, so I am trying to imagine your setup...

In addition, would like to see how you added the drawer. Wow. How convenient that must be, having a drawer in a camper that came with none!

dh
Old 11-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #8

2DogNyte - Yes I do run RV antifreeze through the water lines till I see it coming out of the faucets. I agree that blowing them out with air should remove the water. But I think the small cost of adding the antifreeze is good insurance knowing the damage (time & expense) caused by just a small amount of water freezing in a line. A couple of cups down each drain trap too as you really can't clear those.

The access panels inside the trailer (hot water & pump) come secured with square head screws. Rather than hunting down that driver when I need access I installed screw posts (one end looks like wood screw threads, the other standard machine screw threads) and knurled nuts. Here's a pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0367.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	93521

The drawer was an obvious addition as there's no place to keep utensils and other small items at hand. I installed it in the unused spot above the heater.

Name:	DSC_0370.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	93522

Name:	DSC_0371.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	93523

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB

Colorful Colorado
Old 11-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #9

I like that... nice looking solution. I think my water pump panel is on the outside, like that, so the studs would work. But my water heater panel is inside the frame... so I'd have to do something else...like cut it to size, and install a couple of headers on the inside of the frame.

The drawer is very nice! Looks like you built the drawer to size? Did you install it with slides?
Old 11-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #10

I thought for a moment I was looking at the drawer I made since it appears we both used the same drawer front. I also opened up the space below the furnace so I would have better access to the water pump and electrical so I could install the Progressive Surge Protector. Also made the same type cover for the water heater access area. Don't know why the water heater pic is sideways.

Also got a pic of the shoe storage area I made under the seat. You can see the space is divided, half for shoes and half for a laundry hamper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001.resized.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	93580   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.resized.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	93581   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.resized.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	93582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.resized.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	93583   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.resized.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	93584  

Name:	IMG_0005.resized.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	93585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.resized.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	93586  
Old 11-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #11

That's some nice work. In my 2014 the space below the furnace is occupied by the electrical panel. I know they moved it as I've seen photos of the 2015s. I have noticed that the drawer gets warm from heat inside the cabinet. I bought a decorative grating (floor register) and plan to open a vent location on the side of the cabinet to vent the heat build-up.

The shoe storage/laundry hamper is great and something I'll have to add. I see foam insulation on some of the pipes by the water pump. Is this something you added?

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB

Colorful Colorado
Old 11-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #12

I like your idea of the grate to let the heat out from around the drawer and will be adding that to my list of things to do.

The foam is part of my noise reduction plan for the pump, the foam on all the water lines plus some added rubber under the pump. Helped quiet it down quite a bit.

I like the electric panel in the upper cabinet even though running new or extra wiring is more difficult, our last trailer had the panel at floor level and it always seemed it was getting kicked for one reason or another.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #13

Drawer Addition Guide

I wrote this guide to show how I went about adding a drawer to my 17FQ.

[ATTACH]

93893[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Coachmen 17FQ drawer addition.pdf (199.9 KB, 231 views)

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB

Colorful Colorado
Old 11-08-2015, 09:00 PM   #14

Another thing I will have to copy, I like that slide in the drawer because like you say it is DEEP. Plus it gives just a bit more added storage.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #15

Finally put together a PDF on the things I did that I hope will improve the function of the refrigerator.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Refrigerator fans.pdf (7.68 MB, 270 views)
Old 11-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #16

John & Mary Jo,

Thanks for the info on the fridge. I think I'll do the same next spring when prepping for the camping season.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB

Colorful Colorado
Old 09-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #17

Thank you all for your contributions! We will take possession of a 2014 17FQ next week and are very excited about it. The pdf's are great! I plan to buy some pool noodles on summer clearance and use for pipe insulation--that's what they really are! I can't wait to get my hands on it and start "personalizing" it for our use! Yes, the walk around bed sold us!
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
thewheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:53 PM   #18

Picked her up this afternoon! 2014 17FQ, we are 3rd owners. Both previous owners purchased with extended trips planned but health issues forced sale of camper. 3rd time charm, we hope!
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #19

Congratulations on your new to you purchase !
Bear Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #20

Anyone know what lurks behind this mystery cabinet? It surrounds the radio on our 2014 Clipper 17FQ. If it's just there to protect the radio connections, there's a lot of wasted space!

2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)