Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Clipper 17FQ vs TrailerKing Tires

You guys may remember my fun from February when our spare tire was stolen, then we had a blowout on the way home, then had one of the most incompetent tow drivers of all time.........

We replaced the 13” tires with 14” versions. The local dealership told us to go to a local vendor, who only sells TrailerKing tires.

The TKs are rated for 1700 lbs on a single axle. After the blowout, I’m a bit gunshy, so I took the clipper across the scale at the local truck stop.

The Clipper 17FQ, outfitted for a summer camping trip, weighed in at 2720 lbs. On the one axle.

Am I stupid for thinking this camper is WAY too heavy for a single axle, or am I reading the tire info wrong?

Not sure what my next move is. Axle 1 is my truck. Axle 2 is the camper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533915065.381722.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	182791
Old 08-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #2
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Another interesting fact... according to year-accurate documentation, this camper’s dry weight from the factory is 2731 lbs. Is that the max it can carry or the weight it was when built and empty?
Old 08-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Name:	IMG_5800.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	182880
Old 08-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

First off...stay away from the Trailer King tires...same junk tire as the TowMax (aka.- BlowMax).

Look for Goodyear Endurance (not the Marathons, another blowout waiting to happen), Carlisle, Maxxis, Hercules and Hi Run tires.

As for the dry weight, that is how much the trailer weighed when it left the factory, but not what it weighed when you picked it up from the dealer.

And definately not what is weighs once you put all of your stuff in it.

Dry weight is a number that people toss around here a lot...but it doesn't mean squat!

Unfortunately, many use that (dry weight) number to justify a lot of things and find themselves in an overweight towing situation.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #5

In that shot of the weight ticket, it looks like there is a weight of the combined weight of the tow vehicle and the trailer by itself.

The one that says 'Axle 2', I belive that is the trailer weight.

Was the trailer still hooked up to the tow vehicle or disconnected.

If still hitched to the tow vehicle, the some of the trailer weight will be on the tow vehicle, so you won't know the exact weight of the trailer unless weighed by itself.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
In that shot of the weight ticket, it looks like there is a weight of the combined weight of the tow vehicle and the trailer by itself.

The one that says 'Axle 2', I belive that is the trailer weight.

Was the trailer still hooked up to the tow vehicle or disconnected.

If still hitched to the tow vehicle, the some of the trailer weight will be on the tow vehicle, so you won't know the exact weight of the trailer unless weighed by itself.

The trailer was still connected to the truck, so I realize the tongue weight is not a part of the total camper weight. Not terribly concerned with that, I’m relatively sure we don’t overload the cargo capacity when packing up. I am concerned with the weight on that single axle and the tire weight range.

I’m afraid an axle flip and tire size upgrade may be a necessity. Which makes me wonder why the camper came with 13” class D tires originally. Seems a little underperforming for a single axle camper.

More $ than I have at the moment, but probably a better option than a blowout accident.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4RGD View Post
The trailer was still connected to the truck, so I realize the tongue weight is not a part of the total camper weight. Not terribly concerned with that, I’m relatively sure we don’t overload the cargo capacity when packing up. I am concerned with the weight on that single axle and the tire weight range.

I’m afraid an axle flip and tire size upgrade may be a necessity. Which makes me wonder why the camper came with 13” class D tires originally. Seems a little underperforming for a single axle camper.

More $ than I have at the moment, but probably a better option than a blowout accident.
Axle flipping is not really what they do anymore, due to the axles not being straight, but bowed with the center upwards.

They will add spacers if anything...

And for the weight of your trailers I would think that 'E' rated tires might be overkill.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #8

Arithmetic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4RGD View Post
The TKs are rated for 1700 lbs on a single axle. After the blowout, I’m a bit gunshy, so I took the clipper across the scale at the local truck stop.

The Clipper 17FQ, outfitted for a summer camping trip, weighed in at 2720 lbs. On the one axle.
Simple question: Maybe I have this backward, but...
  • Trailer axle weight is 2720 lbs.
  • Tires are rated for 1700 lbs. (each).
  • Two tires per axle.
  • Total weight supportable by tires: 3400 lbs.
  • 3400 - 2720 = 680 lbs to spare

Why doesn't this mean that you have room to put almost 700 lbs. more in the trailer?

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Simple question: Maybe I have this backward, but...
  • Trailer axle weight is 2720 lbs.
  • Tires are rated for 1700 lbs. (each).
  • Two tires per axle.
  • Total weight supportable by tires: 3400 lbs.
  • 3400 - 2720 = 680 lbs to spare

Why doesn't this mean that you have room to put almost 700 lbs. more in the trailer?

Larry

Larry,

That was my question. Not sure if the tires are rated individually or as a set. I assumed it was by the pair, but if they’re rated individually... I should be fine.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #10
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Ok, Larry was correct. I checked again on eTrailers.net and came across the question of tire weight ranges.

Name:	IMG_5802.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	182937

Not exactly my tire or size, but the answer is the same. The tire weight range is per tire, not per axle.

Thank you to all!
Old 08-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #11
Carknocker Family

Sticker that you posted says your total cargo is 708 lbs. So your dry weight plus what your cargo is total allowable camper weight on OEM tires.

What is your axle rated for? Should be a sticker on the tube to give specs. Do not go over this weight on axle. Your new 14 inch tires may very well rated at more than your axle can carry. Which is good, but now axel is limiting factor.

And yes, the weight posted on tire is per tire, so x2 is the weight they can carry, if your axel doesn't limit first.

Sticker also says total weight of 35?? #, don't forget if you haul water that counts as cargo, 275# by your sticker
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, trailer