Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
Sky&Scuba

Coachmen 253RKS Pass Through Storage Question.

We are loving the new camper after trading the Flagstaff 25KS.

I have a general question for all you Coachman owners on the pass through storage.

I noticed this the other day. Looking at the camper from the front at the hitch. The pass through storage door is smaller on the right side than the one on the left???

Why would they do this other than to save money or is not the norm?

We are heading out to Florida Caverns State Park today until Friday.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #2

Look in your bedroom.Is there a difference in what is setting on either side of the bed.Look under the bed too.May be something different.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:59 PM   #3
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
Look in your bedroom.Is there a difference in what is setting on either side of the bed.Look under the bed too.May be something different.
Nothing in the way at all in the pass through or in the bedroom. You can feel inside the smaller door and plenty of room to install a bigger door. But I don't think it would be worth the trouble to cut out and install one. I will live with it.

Just another example of poor craftsmenship of the Campers nowadays.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #4

I have a 310BHDS Freedom Express. I noticed this at the PDI at the dealers. When I brought it to the attention of the salesman and the lady in charge of the PDI they were somewhat set back. The salesman then had me ride with him across the street to look at other units. We found many units which were this way. He then stated he was going to make a phone call to someone for an answer. When he came back he stated that he had called the factory to ask them to explain this and the lady he talked to had no idea of what he was talking about, no surprise there. Anyway, yes, my front pass-through storage door on the drives side is smaller than the curb-side door. I also measured the storage area dimensions on both sides and they are the same. There is no significant difference between the two nightstands on either side of the front bed either. I just have learned to live with this.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #5
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I have a 310BHDS Freedom Express. I noticed this at the PDI at the dealers. When I brought it to the attention of the salesman and the lady in charge of the PDI they were somewhat set back. The salesman then had me ride with him across the street to look at other units. We found many units which were this way. He then stated he was going to make a phone call to someone for an answer. When he came back he stated that he had called the factory to ask them to explain this and the lady he talked to had no idea of what he was talking about, no surprise there. Anyway, yes, my front pass-through storage door on the drives side is smaller than the curb-side door. I also measured the storage area dimensions on both sides and they are the same. There is no significant difference between the two nightstands on either side of the front bed either. I just have learned to live with this.
Thanks for the info. I figured they are just saving a few bucks putting in a smaller door on one side. I miss our old Aero lite and Kodiak than had the huge slam shut doors. They just don't make them like that anymore that I see.

On a side note just got some more free screws out from our gray tank. I noticed that I could not shut the gate valve Again and yep screws in the way. LOL

We are at Florida Caverns State Park right now. Having a great time.

[/URL]
Old 07-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #6
CJ2

Is the awning in the way necessitating a smaller door on the right? ie, when the door opens would it hit something OUTSIDE?
CJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:18 AM   #7

My Freedom Express 192RBS also has a smaller hatch door on the driver side. I have a storage tote that goes through the other door fine, but won't fit the smaller door. I thought that was odd.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ2 View Post
Is the awning in the way necessitating a smaller door on the right? ie, when the door opens would it hit something OUTSIDE?
Nope like I said nothing in the way in or out. Just them being cheap.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #9

Our palomino has one door smaller than the other but that's because the water filter is in the corner just to the side of the smaller door. Actually I would like it if it had a bigger door like the other side - I wouldn't have to be a contortionist to change the water filter. Maybe they're killing 2 birds with one stone - cheaper to put in a smaller door and on some it "hides" the water filter just to the side of the door (also then they all get made the same whether they had the water filter there or not). Just a thought - Cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincia View Post
Our palomino has one door smaller than the other but that's because the water filter is in the corner just to the side of the smaller door. Actually I would like it if it had a bigger door like the other side - I wouldn't have to be a contortionist to change the water filter. Maybe they're killing 2 birds with one stone - cheaper to put in a smaller door and on some it "hides" the water filter just to the side of the door (also then they all get made the same whether they had the water filter there or not). Just a thought - Cincia
Yea no water filter on this one. We had that on the Flagstaff 25KS. This is a rear kitchen model and all the water connection is in the rear under the sink but no water filter.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #11

Noticed the same thing when we bought our 310BHDS, drivers side door is smaller. Found this out after I bought some storage bins to use in the passthrough and I couldn't get them out the one side.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #12

My Wildwood 31KQBTS is the same way, absolutely nothing in the way of my door either.
I dunno why they did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #13

We were told that they make the passenger side door bigger because that is the loading side (where entry doors are located) of the camper

-----------------------------------
04 F250 FX4 Lariat 6.0 Supercrew
17 Coachman Catalina 253RKS Legacy
BuckwheatWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #14

I guess it does encourage you to load from the curb side rather than the street side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #15

Hmmm, "they" need to come watch me load up for a trip or load up for the trip home. In the drivers side (as in the tow vehicle) door, the smaller one there will be two (2) plastic totes which will go approximately half-way through the storage area. Then one fresh water hose with filter stuffed on the top of the totes. Two storage bags with the square yellow plastic leveling blocks and two (2) big triangular shaped rubber wheel chocks. On the curb side, with the larger door, the gas grill goes in first butting up against the totes. Then my cast iron five (5) quart dutch oven along with my round cast iron cooker. Yes I do cook a lot over an open fire. In addition to the table that came stuffed up in the top of my storage area, that's another story as to getting it out and putting it back, I have a fiberglass top table that folds and then I stuff it on top of the grill. So maybe I don't necessarily agree that the drivers side is the "loading side". I believe we all do what we have to to get as much stuff into our storage areas. Now I have a new storage problem. The boss lady of the house won on our discussion as to getting a satellite dish set-up, so she bought a system. The dish, tripod and receiver. When I asked as to where this would be stored for transporting it, she just looked me straight in the eyes and said: "That's your problem". Life is fun.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #16
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckwheatWV View Post
We were told that they make the passenger side door bigger because that is the loading side (where entry doors are located) of the camper

-----------------------------------
04 F250 FX4 Lariat 6.0 Supercrew
17 Coachman Catalina 253RKS Legacy
Ha ha Good One. I guess they can tell us that to save the builder money.

This is the first camper we owned like this and this is the 6th one. I really miss the big slam shut doors on the Kodiak's those are my favorite camper but the local place stopped carrying them.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #17

Access Door question

I have the same unit as you and we love it too! The access door being larger has to do with the removable table hanging in that area. We have the bigger door and to get at that table you need more access. Happy travels!
babalu55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #18

BINGO babalu55. Yes I do have the table and had never thought about that being the reason one door is larger. Makes sense.
I removed the table from the storage once, and just once. It was a real pain to put it back where it goes. I have a very similar table to store inside when we travel so I will use the table in the storage area as a back up.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:40 PM   #19
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalu55 View Post
I have the same unit as you and we love it too! The access door being larger has to do with the removable table hanging in that area. We have the bigger door and to get at that table you need more access. Happy travels!
That has nothing to do with the smaller door they stuck on the other side. I am not talking about the large door I'm talking about the smaller door. Both doors should be as big as possible and the same size.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #20

My 322RLDS has the smaller door on the drivers side. Just the right of that door is the fill port for the fresh water tank. So, in the case of mine, there is a reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
storage