Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #1

Coachmen 300 BHS leak

I recently purchased a 300BHS. On its maiden voyage, it rained pretty hard out and I ended up with a puddle of water in the bunk room. This is just an FYI tpost for anybody that ever had a similar issue.

After examining it, I was able to figure out that the gutter rail was not straight from front to back on top of the trailer. In the rear over the outdoor kitchen door, it was basically a gully where no water made it past it and out the downspout. Instead, it just pooled, overflowed down the side of trailer, and then on top of the hinge to the outdoor kitchen door. From there, the water was able to get in, pool under the counter, and works its way into the trailer.

Coachmen was great when I contacted them about a warranty repair. i sent them pictures and a video of water coming off the roof and how it was overflowing due to the gutter rail. After some communication, they determined it was a simple fix of realigning the gutter and I should contact my dealer. They also took my video and showed it the production manager so it would emphasize the importance of getting that gutter rail on straight. When I put a 48" level where the gully was, it was drooped about 3/8" of an inch.

I contacted my dealer and the soonest appointment was 3 weeks. So I ended up having to fix it myself rather than wait 3 weeks and pray there's no rain between now and then. Fixing the gutter was easy since it was about 12 screws that needed adjusting, but resealing it with the special roof sealant can be a mess.

Overall, love the trailer and Coachmen's help. If anyone is leaking, hopefully this can help at least one person with an idea of what to check and verify.
Major Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #2

nice to know. I'm looking at buying that same floorplan if I sell what I have now. what do you pull it with?
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #3

I have va 2014" Ram 1500. 8 speed with 3.92 rear. Tow limit is 10,050 pounds. Tows with no problem as far as acceleration. No struggles and is quick offer the line. Using Air Bag 1000s on tear springs and Equalizer hitch. No squat and no wiggle even with 35' of trailer. I had a 2012 Ram with a 6 speed and 3.55 rear. The difference is night and day in terms of performance. And I'm getting a little over 9mpg overall.

Very satisfied with the trailer. 2 slides, outdoor kitchen, and just over 6000 lbs dry.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #4

12 ram 1500 3.92 rear end. I also have the bags and new coils ( leveled my front up 2")
this also helps. I was told I'd get a lot of sway from such a long trailer with my truck. I pull 6400 empty now with my Springdale 28'er
Old 07-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #5

The Equalizer hitch is incredible and worth its weight in gold. Yeah, its like $500, but it just about completely takes the sway out of the trailer. Even my wife can drive without fear of something coming in the oncoming lane and its wash causing my trailer to start wagging.

Equalizer is both a weight distribution and sway control. I could not imagine towing without it. My old trailer was just over 28' and this one is just under 35'. Before I purchased it, I read a lot of people say you cant do this with a 1500 and have to go 2500. Why? The difference in curb weight between the 1500 and the 2500 is only about 500 lbs unless you go real big. If the truck is rated to 10,050lbs towing, I feel confident towing at 60% of that won't put me in jeopardy. And then you have to realize that 14,000lb tractors are towing 60,000lb trailers down the highway on a daily basis. Sometimes with doubles and triples!!

Plus my 1500 as Active Traction Control that will pulse the rear brake to the wheel that needs it to counteract the sway, if there is any. And I have the integrated brake controller. You start getting a sway, you just give it a little squeeze.

Believe me, I worried about all of that and did not want to purchase something I would regret. I did my homework and did the best math I could on it.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #6

Not sure if I have the ATC or not but I have the tow pkg with factory trailer brake. I have pulled big with no issues. I wont go into detail but my bed was loaded along with my tt hooked to it and pulled no issues. I have an old reese with a seperate sway bar now. My pulls would be flat hgwy only. No mountains or 2 lanes. I looked at the Equalizer and like it. I may let my hitch go with the camper and get one if I go bigger. Thanks for the input. Are you on Ramforum.com? If not its some good info there on these trucks.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #7

Yes I'm on ramforumz. Posted over there too. Paying it forward and hopefully help someone else out.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #8

Have the same TV and towing 297RLDS 35 footer around 7000lbs using Reese 1200 WD/SC with no problems. Towed to FL from PA and back last year and doing the same this year.

jd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #9

I should have mentioned my TV is a six speed w/3.55. P rated tires 40lb inflation on all. Full towing package.

jd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #10

will be picking mine up on 10-10

Tags
coachmen, leak