Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 06:24 AM   #1

Coachmen 320BHDS

We just decided to take the plunge and order a 2015 Coachmen 320BHDS. Now my mind is full of questions.
#1. How much heat does the electric fireplace give off? Is it enough heat to warm the unit during the day without also using our propane? We only camp from late March to early November in southern NJ and Lancaster area, PA.
#2. My husband thought he wanted power stabilizer jacks, but the dealer talked us out of it and said manual scissor jacks were better. What are your general opinions on either side of this question?
#3. This one is easy...Can someone please measure the entry steps. I want to order my entry step rugs but cannot find the dimensions for this. Also are the steps "straight edge" or "rounded, radius edge"? And finally, how many steps are there? I think the dimensions are 22 inch, rounded edge and there are three steps but want to be sure before I place my order (I hate making returns, if I am wrong).

I am sure while we are waiting, we will have many, many more questions. We appreciate everyone who answers this post. I know campers are always very helpful. Thanks Again. Lori
lori08360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #2

Nobody?
Old 10-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
RKR

I have a 325MKS. I don't have the fire place (we opted for more storage) and the trailer is tucked away already so I can't get the step measurements for ya.
I do have the electric stabilizer jacks and they're nice. No issues. Some of the other trailers we looked at during the time of purchase had automatic hydraulic leveling systems. I thought they would be just something else to go wrong and the system was kinda pricey. I like to keep things simple and leveling a trailer isn't difficult and doesn't take much time.

Sent from my high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #4

We have a 2014 320bhds and love it. The fireplace will keep it warm enough I think. We camped in the white mountains of NH over Columbus Day weekend and never turned on the propane heat. Temps got down to mid 20 s at night. Think the manual stabilizers are better, I have electric and can't get alot of pressure on them. Stairs I have no clue but can measure them this afternoon when I get home from work.
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #5

Thanks for all the great info. Our dealer told us the same about the jacks and he said he has the same unit and will be putting the manual jacks on in the spring. He said he gets alot of rockin' and thinks it is because of the electric jacks. We just wanted an opinion of someone other than the dealer as to their thoughts. We can't wait for November 1st when we pick up. Then headed out to Lancaster, PA on the 5th. Hoping its cool enough for the fireplace to try everything out. Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #6

2014 BHDS LE
we've used the fireplace a couple times just to take the chill off rather than using the propane. It does a good job I think.

Ours is equipped with the electric jacks and as Jon stated, they dont have that much pressure but they do keep it somewhat sturdy. I will add a manual jack by the entry door to keep the movement at bay, of someone coming and going down the steps.

14' Coachmen 320 BHDS Liberty Edition 50th Anniversary
IColeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori08360 View Post
We just decided to take the plunge and order a 2015 Coachmen 320BHDS. Now my mind is full of questions.
#1. How much heat does the electric fireplace give off? Is it enough heat to warm the unit during the day without also using our propane? We only camp from late March to early November in southern NJ and Lancaster area, PA.
Pretty much all electric heaters are 1500W on high. Low and, if available, medium can vary. I think that if you run the fireplace on high you'll likely be good down to the 40's. You might consider adding a radiant heater and running it on low or medium for additional heating. They work well as they don't get hot enough to be a fire hazard. I tend not to run them on high as they aren't hardwired and I feel safer running them on low or medium. We also run the A/C fan to circulate the heat.
Quote:
#2. My husband thought he wanted power stabilizer jacks, but the dealer talked us out of it and said manual scissor jacks were better. What are your general opinions on either side of this question?
Manual jacks are my preference. Get a good 18V drill and the adapter Camco makes and you're set.
Quote:
#3. This one is easy...Can someone please measure the entry steps. I want to order my entry step rugs but cannot find the dimensions for this. Also are the steps "straight edge" or "rounded, radius edge"? And finally, how many steps are there? I think the dimensions are 22 inch, rounded edge and there are three steps but want to be sure before I place my order (I hate making returns, if I am wrong).
No idea on this one, but looks like someone else has it covered.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:06 AM   #8

I'm an owner of a Liberty Express 310BHDS and we use our trailer during the same period as you guys. The fireplace electric heater works well and once the regular furnace gets everything up to temp then the fireplace heater maintains the temp. These units hold the heat very well and you should be OK. The steps are the standard 3 step fold folding stairs. I have purchased several add on carpet attachments at Camping. work. The price is around 20 bucks a piece. They sell two styles. The curved ratios and the straight step carpets. Pick the proper ones and they will work well.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #9

We have Brookstone 345SA and are very happy with fireplace. In regards to steps, ours was steep so I found this company that makes a 4 step. The steps fit perfect, just removed 4 bolts and replaced. Big difference for the knees!!!
Elkhart Tool and Die : Elkhart Indiana - RV Steps - Continuous Hinges - Custom Metal Fab
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:10 AM   #10

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer our questions. We really appreciate everyone's opinion. Now to wait until Nov. 1st for pick up. Everyday seems like its a month long. It's going to be a long week and half. LOL.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #11

I have the electric jacks, neighbor has the manual, both rock and roll. I added a strong arm stabilizer kit to mine and will see if this is the answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strong arm stabilizer.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	65193  
Old 10-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #12

Added the JT strong arms to my 360IBL. Huge difference. If you didn't get this with your camper they are about $250 and worth every penny.

The fireplace seems to warm the back nicely. I added a mach 8 with heat strip to the front and it heats nicely as well. I had a thought the other day, only using the fireplace and other radiant heaters the tanks wouldn't be receiving any heat. Makes me wonder if they would freeze up in cold temps without the furnace running that dumps heat into that space. Thoughts?
farmncamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #13

Never thought of that
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #14
Swift2

We use the electric 6 point on our 320RS with JT Strong Arm Jacks. It is very solid and it's nice to just push a button to get it leveled up. The JT strong arm let us get rid of the front stabilizer jack. It's nice to push a button and its up to the right level to hook up to the F350. We are very pleased.
I don't know about the furnace. We have left it on all night and kept the chill off but wasn't really cold outside. Happy camping. It's a fun and comfortable 5er.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
campr-pete

We have a 2014 322rlds its 36' long it has the electric jacks we love them they hold the unit very stable and I'm not a small fellow 290lbs. When I first started camping with my unit I was determined to remove them and put some other system on, I called my dealer he asked if I did as manufacturer recommended and made sure that the distance from the bottom of the trailer to the ground wasn't over 2' of course I hadn't, so I purchased some leveling stackable blocks used them under the stabilizer pads to make up the difference and now my unit sets very stable. What this does is it angles the stabilizer arms to reach out further which gives more stability. As far as the electric fireplace I agree with some of the other responses it will maintain at 37-38 degrees much less than that and you will need to make up the difference with your furnace especially if it is below 32 to warm the under belly to avoid tank and pipes from freezing.
campr-pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #16

If it gets cold enough to start worrying whether the tanks will freeze or not, then the fireplace isn't gonna keep you warm enough anyway. Our fireplace/heater in our Northridge works very well, we do occasionally use the furnace, especially April and October. Our last unit did not have the fireplace, and do notice a huge reduction in propane use with the newer unit.

We also have the electric jacks, and although I have no preference between them or the scissor style, I added Steadyfast stabilizers, made a world of difference. There is probably half a dozen different styles of braces/stab bars on the market, my favorite is Steadyfast, as they're connection points are frame to jack leg. Thus needing only 3 bars instead of six. Simple like me.
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #17

Hello, we have the same unit and, one night we unexpectedly ran out of propane in the early evening. We were forced to rely on the fireplace, and a small radiant heater. Between the two, I was pleasantly surprised at the warmth, without either heater being set on high.
mdarden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen