Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #21

We haven't had any build problems with our 2014 Coachmen. From what I have seen they use glue, staples, and screws. Since I recently opened up the corner of our trailer against a post, I can say they definitely use screws in the framing.

We chose the stick and tin over the Adzel on two points. First, the same size trailer was several thousand dollars more in the Apex (Adzel) line. Second, the stick and tin trailer seemed to have a more solid feel to it. Extremely subjective I know, but that was our reasoning at the time. Since it was a 50th Anniversary Edition, I believe we ended up with most of the options the Apex line had as well.

2014 Coachmen Catalina 273DBS
50th Anniversary model
acope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #22

I had previously said the my biggest complaint is the poorly designed Windows I Doubt if I can correct this design flaw
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #23
Professional Curmudgeon

Aluminum is subject to cracking at the welds, but is strong and light. It also fastens to a wood floor.
Wood is inexpensive, heavy, and strong. It's also more flexible.
Keep the water out in the first place and you'll be fine.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Aluminum is subject to cracking at the welds, but is strong and light.

Not if it is prepped and done right.If your aluminum welds are cracking,you need to find a different welder.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #25
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Not if it is prepped and done right.If your aluminum welds are cracking,you need to find a different welder.
Because we all know how much prep and quality control goes into the construction of travel trailers.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Because we all know how much prep and quality control goes into the construction of travel trailers.
I have to agree on the above point,but I was replying to a general statement.On the other hand,our 2009 Merhow aluminum 2 horse + lq trailer is ALL aluminum and there are no cracks in it.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996alnl View Post
No idea. But I would personally spend the extra buck and opt for a aluminum framed trailer such as the Coachmen Apex or the Freedom Express (like I did).
These types have a layer of Azdel In between the walls instead of (wood) luan.
Which is a big plus, eliminates any delamination on your walls incase of a water leak.
That's just my 2 cents.
I just learned from Coachmen warranty person that my 2016 Apex 259bhss rear wall is framed with wood! Couldn't believe this since coachmen advertises that the Apex is built of an aluminum super- structure. Any other Apex owners who knew this fact? What a disappointment! I'll buy an Outdoors RV next time!!
Gidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #28
Sky&Scuba

Yea maybe the aluminum trailers are better and cost more and DW and I have now traded and bought our 6th camper. We have owned from Aerolites, Kodiak, Flagstaff... Been there done that.

Well just traded the Flagstaff 25KS for the Catalina 253 RKS.

And I tell ya there is alot of things on the 253 RKS are just way better quality and thought out way better than the aluminum trailers we have owned.

It was not a money thing either we can buy what we want and when we trade it's all cash... We have always owned our travel trailers out right.

All the trailers I have owned are not perfect they build them like Sh%$# and we all know that. I usually go through them and open everything and rewire alot of stuff... So I usually always find the faults and fix them right there.

I will post a new thread soon of the new camper and post pics of all the stuff I did to it just days after it got to the house.

kendive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #29

Coachmen Quality

We sold our 2012 FR RPod and purchased a 2015 Coachmen 243 RBS. Perfect couples trailer, especially with a separate bedroom, lots of ample closet and storage space, large bathroom, oodles of counter space in kitchen. Electric fireplace is nice on cold mornings, although I fight our two dogs to get in front of it. Mattress was to firm, so we replaced it this summer with another foam one from Walmart.
Structurally very sound, love having a comfortable and cozy trailer on vacation.

Vallgrlx2
Omaha, NE
2015 Coachmen 243 RBS
2015 Ford 150
Hubbie and Two Scotties
Vallgrlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, catalina, coachmen, quality