Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #1

Coachmen Clipper 179FQ - Creaky Floor

Our 17FQ is just about a year old, and the creaking in the floor is getting worse.

Any of you other Coachmen travel-trailer owners have this problem?

When I first asked about it at the dealer, I was told that there has to be a certain amount of 'give'...

But it's getting worse, and everytime I take a step I hear "Coachmen - cheap piece of crap!"
2DogNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #2

Don't have an answer but I do know about the flex of the floor as anyone walks on it.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #3

Ours hasnt developed a noise yet, but there are a couple spots with a little "give". But I expect a certain amount of give. This is an entry level unit built to a low weight level. So yeah, it does feel a little cheap. It is what it is.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
Don't have an answer but I do know about the flex of the floor as anyone walks on it.
Not sure I understand... are you saying yours creaks?
Old 08-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #5

always going to be a bit of flex in floor when walking, and sometimes some creaks can come with that. Being this is a light entry level model, I'm sure the floors are as thin as possible.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:11 PM   #6

I can answer this.Your floor is made of Luan-which is a light weight thin flooring that they use to save weight in the trailer.the usual spots are in the bath and in front of the kit. sink.
We had the same problem on our 2013 Palomino and it cost me $450 to have the bath floor torn out and replaced with treated plywood.
That solved the problem.
My repair guy is also a service mgr at a local RV dealer-he says he sees this all the time.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DogNyte View Post
Not sure I understand... are you saying yours creaks?
No creaks yet but lots of flex.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #8

That's Luan exactly
Old 08-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #9

Maybe I just haven't noticed it but no squeaks, creaks, or give on ours.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #10

Mine has a spot in front of the refrigerator that will creak once when walking into the bathroom area; then it will be quiet until it's not been walked on for a while.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #11

thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I contacted Forest River, and their reply was to take it to the dealer to look at it.

The other dealer in AZ has set an appointment for me to take it in at the end of the month.

So, wish me luck -- I'll keep you posted with what happens.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:12 PM   #12

We took the trailer to Desert AutoPlex, the Coachmen dealer in Mesa, AZ. Unlike the first dealer we tried for warranty work (Galpin Ford RV in Dewey, AZ), Desert AP was very prompt addressing the issue.

Jill, the warranty dept customer service person, has been very good about keeping in contact via email and phone.

We took the unit in on Wed, the 31 of August, and she promised that a tech was waiting to look at it. When she first walked in the trailer, on the squeaky floor, she said, "oh my, something is not right!" and that she had never seen similar movement and creaking.

Thursday or Friday they inspected the floor, cutting away the fabric beneath the trailer, with one tech walking inside, and another underneath watching. They determined that major repairs would be necessary, and they would contact Forest River for authorization.

Monday the 5th I got this email:
"Ok we got auth to start the work we wont have to take anything out from the inside what Factory recommends is that we add 2x2 to soft areas to support add liquid nail and glue to support and let dry for awhile I will keep you posted the tech That will be working on this is good
we will get this right for you"

Poor email skills not withstanding, (I think she uses voice recognition on her phone to write emails!) it looks like they are making an attempt to fix the problem.

She didn't say what the 2x2s are - alum, wood, steel or what - but I presume wood, since they will use Liquid Nails. Not sure how much rigidity will come from 8' lengths of 2x2s, but we'll see.

Daily high temps in Mesa have been over 100°, so it should not take too long for Liquid Nails to set up...so I anticipate hearing something from Jill this week.

Again, I'll keep you posted...
Old 09-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #13

Well, that didn't take long... I was concerned that 2x2s wouldn't fix the problem, and this morning I hear from the dealer that I was correct:

"Found that floor is going to need more than just supports so we have auth requested waiting to hear back from them I will keep you posted Just adding 2x2 for support is not going to make it go away we will need to pull lino up and depending on if it can just peel back or if its glued down we might have to replace
I will let you know what they say"

So, now we wait again...

Tags
coachmen