Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 01:48 AM   #1

Coachmen clipper cadet 16cbh

Anyone have this trailer? Any reviews from owners? Not much o. YouTube. It's a good small entry level trailer for me. At least I think so. It's wood frame? Aluminum sides. No slide... Et c...... Any opinions? Looking for cheap new. With bunk beds.
mrazndead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #2

I just bought a clipper at the beginning of the year. So I did a ton of research on all of the clipper/viking models.

In my opinion, the cadets seemed really really entry level. I don't want to say cheap but they definitely skimped on a few things. I would try to get into at least the 17bh's. They are light, low cost, and the most common clipper model. You should be able to get one of these for pretty much the same cost. Lots of people have good experiences with the 17bh's. Heck there is a 470+ post on here about people modifying there 17's. You just get a few more standard features with the non-cadet models. In my experience you get nothing extra with the cadets.

For what is worth, we bought our clipper at a RV show because the sale price was just too hard to pass on. We were scared to death at what kind of quality these entry level trailers were. We have been pleasantly surprised and the rig has been great so far and feel that these clippers kind of fly under the radar.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

how much did you pay for it? what state are you in? i like the 16 because it's shorter, gives me a bit more clearance on my driveway.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #4

Yeah, understandable about it fitting in your driveway. Just remember on any model to account for the a-frame and spare tire on the back. Even if the trailer is a 16 footer, it is actually about 20 feet long.

I am up in Montana. The 21bh I have stickers for $18k and you can find them new on lots for about $16k. I got mine at the show for $12.9k. They had about 6 17bh's at the same show for $11k and a couple that had light hail damage for $9k.

If you really like the 16bh, the most important thing I can say to look at is the axle and weight ratings. I know the 17bh's weigh about 3100 lbs and have something like a #3800 axle under them. Meaning you can load 700 lbs in them before overloading the axle. If you account for a full tank of water, that amount gets cut in half. I believe they have 14" tires. I think the cadets have 13" tires. So really watch the weight rating and make sure you can actually load the thing.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #5

wow thats great info , thats a great deal. in california. i'm seeing them for 20-30% more costly.... i wonder if i should drive to montana and buy it and haul it back....
Old 06-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #6

what do you like about your clipper? what don't you like? how's the wood holding up? hows the bathroom shower? do you like the fridge? is it easy to clean outside how's the rubber roof holding up?
Old 06-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #7

ha ha, I think some of the pricing you are seeing is because of summertime. It is prime time right now. I bought mine in January in the off season. If you can wait until this winter, I am sure you could see much better pricing.

We like our camper because it is old school, very simple to operate, very simple equipment, no slides, basic as they come. It is very easy to work on and make your own (we have added a TV, a digital thermostat, battery monitor, etc.). It isn't so nice and fancy that you are afraid to touch it.

It has held up well, We took it on a 1000 mile road trip up into canada, and have taken it out in the woods several times now. Seems to be holding up really well, knock on wood, nothing has broke or come apart yet. We did have a small water leak on the back of the toilet but the water supply simply came loose. 30 seconds and a wrench to tighten it back up and no more leak.

That is about it, it is just very easy to use and easy to tow.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #8

speaking of towing, what is your MPG when towing it?
Old 06-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazndead View Post
wow thats great info , thats a great deal. in california. i'm seeing them for 20-30% more costly.... i wonder if i should drive to montana and buy it and haul it back....
Pretty much the standard for West Coast dealers, who know that the have us over a barrel because few would travel East to get the much cheaper Midwest pricing.
We refused to be taken advantage of and made a 4000 mile roundtrip to get our new HTT. Saved over $4000 even after trip costs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #10

Clipper 21BH

We picked up a 2018 Clipper 21bh in March and have taken it out almost every weekend. We looked at a bigger TT for taking out the grand kids but decided most of the time it is just the wife and I so why haul and maintain something larger.

Her requirements were the AC and bathroom, mine were the dual axles in case of a blowout and the full size refrigerator/freezer and this met our needs perfectly.

We really like it although this is our first RV so I cannot compare with others. One thing that I preferred over the slide out version was the much larger dining window. We did upgrade the stock tv antenna, added TPMS and a surge protector.

Safe Travels,
Joe
AFK4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Pretty much the standard for West Coast dealers, who know that the have us over a barrel because few would travel East to get the much cheaper Midwest pricing.
We refused to be taken advantage of and made a 4000 mile roundtrip to get our new HTT. Saved over $4000 even after trip costs.
yeah thats worth it for sure then. i might just do that as well. what model and where did you buy from?
Old 06-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
yeah thats worth it for sure then. i might just do that as well. what model and where did you buy from?
This was back in 2006 and it was House of Camping, outside of Chicago. It was a Roo 23SS HTT.
Many do make the drive to the Midwest, for better prices.
Many buy from RVW or RV One. You can often meet the transport driver halfway, to save on shipping costs.
We were going to meet the RVW driver in Wyoming, if we had decided to buy from them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #13

Quote:
speaking of towing, what is your MPG when towing it?
Without a 30 mph headwind, I get about 11.5-12 mpg at about 62 mph.

Worst I have seen is 8.8, that was a really windy day.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #14

Personally, I would never own a trailer with a window style air conditioner again.
My first one had that and I was constantly (unsuccessfully) working on getting the friggin thing to drain outside rather than inside. It also let rain in. Moisture was a constant issue.

Traded it for my 17bh and never looked looked back!
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:31 PM   #15

Last july i bought our 2018 clipper 17bhs, with offroad package. Not sure if the dealer did the off road package or factory. Our trailer has been awesome. We needed a small little trailer to go off road and thats what we got.
k2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:25 AM   #16

We bought a 2014 Coachmen Clipper 16BH new back in January 2014. Brand new, it cost us $9999. It's a very entry level coach. Some would say cheap perhaps. But it worked for us for about a year. I had no issues with it, we just wanted something bigger. The next year we traded the Coachmen in for a 2015 Primetime Avenger26BH. Much more room for us. And it didn't cost that much more than the Coachmen. Also, the Coachmen Clipper we bought had much smaller freshwater tank and smaller waste holding tanks than the Avenger.
burmik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen