Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Coachmen Freedom Express 2015 292bhds

Tried searching for a thread on newer camper warranty work and what to look for before it expires and was unable to find it. We've had a lot of issues since purchasing and with the warranty about to expire I was looking for some key areas to focus in so to speak.
So far we have had the following issues:
  1. Black tank valve issues (horrible design) terminated the discharge line with a gate vale
  2. Grey tank valve issues, replaced several times. Ended up rerouting and installing a gate valve instead
  3. Both stabilizer motors went bad, units replaced
  4. Water pump failed, and was replaced with one that failed out of box
  5. Outdoor kitchen door swelled, replaced entire door
  6. Dealer installed outdoor kitchen tv and mount fell out while setting there, replaced with through bolts and washers
  7. All light covers (luxury edition lights) have been falling off and not staying on. On going issue.
  8. Varies trim pieces have been shrinking over the winter and pulling apart at seams. Trim pieces are being replaced as noticed.
  9. All of the cargo door frames had gaps allowing water to enter cargo areas. Caulked all gaps.
  10. Fenders are cracking at screws that were overtightened. Cracks are growing. Fenders on order.

With just a little over two months left on warranty, what other issues should I be looking for that other Freedom Express owners have encountered?
kujosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #2

Sounds like your dealer has been pretty good despite all the issues? Funny, fenders on my 2011 are cracked too, must be a common issue. I'd check for any signs of water incursion, that would be the biggest thing to ensure you don't have before warranty expires. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2016, 10:46 PM   #3

I have a 2012 but no problems like those. I don't like the black valve position either. In my case I think it is to low to the ground. I will have to check out the fenders as well. I suffered a bad (3 left)knee replacement surgeries last year so I never got out for the season to look.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73

2012Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #4

Thanks for this post. I will be closely monitoring mine for similar issues.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #5

The dealership has been a minor nightmare. The service guys do a lot of extra work and trying to keep the customer happy due to issues with the technicians. I've had the camper in 4 times and so far each time we have reviewed the repairs they have missed one or had a sloppy repair. 2 of the 4 times were return trips because of technician screw ups. For example I will be returning for a 5th time soon because they repaired two lights but could not get the other 3 lights to stay on, so they put them in the sink, did not report the issue, and did not fix them because there wasn't a work order to do so... The water pump was bad and installed and was not tested and was dead out of the box. When I was having valve issues, instead of fixing them they got the valves open for the black and grey tank and then stuck a gate valve at the end. I told them I did not want my shitter to back up into my grey tank and they told me that is how they fix everyone's... I had to talk to the VP about that and the problem was later solved. They have had the camper at the shop longer than I've had the camper and you have to inspect every repair to ensure it was done correctly. So yes they have gotten things done but one department is working a hell of a lot harder than the other.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRVR View Post
Thanks for this post. I will be closely monitoring mine for similar issues.
The light covers in yours, if you have the luxury option, have been updated in 2016 to a screw on type and you should have no issues. The electric stablizers have also been updated and hoping the improvements mean you won't have any issues. They get loud before they fail. Water pump is a water pump 99% of the time you shouldn't have a failure. Check the trim after winter as it starts shrinking and busting seams. If you install a tv in the outdoor kitchen, make sure you put a through bolt in with washers and a nut, because there is no provided stud as you would assume for a cable tv connection area. Check the cargo doors carefully and if you have any gaps (I had some so wide I could see inside the storage) have them caulk those areas. The push valves with the springs inside, not gate valves, are absolutely terrible. I have no recommendation on those except convincing them to tear the grey tank out and replace with an inline gate valve and the force the black open and have a gate valve at the discharge. The valves that you likely have now will stick, no doubt you will have issues at some point. Try to keep the shafts greased maybe and carry vise grips and a hammer. The design problem is you are opening and closing the valve by pushing and pulling on a very long and narrow spring that gets gunked up or rusted and becomes almost impossible to move.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:25 AM   #7

Our first long trip I had a problem with the black valve. I got it unstuck and lubed it and seems fine. I will be regularly checking that. But it was a little disconcerting when I tried to use the valve and it was stuck.

Tags
292bhds, coachmen, freedom express