Old 05-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornswoggle View Post
Here are a couple pictures from when we picked it up...VERY, VERY happy

Very nice. I really like that front cap.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #162
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornswoggle View Post
Here are a couple pictures from when we picked it up...VERY, VERY happy
Looks great! That is the trailer I walked through and decided I wanted a Coachmen.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #163

pwrplay...

The first 20 miles home were a little squirrely…I have never towed anything in the past so I am not sure how much was related to my newness or the 20 mph cross winds, heavy tractor trailer traffic, etc. We have our first trip scheduled at the end of the month and it should be a good test (3hr trip to Wisconsin Dells), which will also be my first chance to have it fully loaded and plan to get it on the scale on our way up to the Dells.

MPG sucked! Got 18.1 on the way down and the avg dropped to 9.8 by the time we got home. I am not going to cry over that because the memories we will create with the wife and kids are priceless!!

Next Steps/Things Learned:
I still need to tweak the Prodigy brake controller. I couldn’t figure out the right amount of brake control, so I need to spend some time on that.
I realized I could not get the TT level from side to side with the stabilizer jacks (rookie mistake), but figured it out after I started loading the camper with all the goodies I bought and came across the lego blocks. I won’t make that mistake again…
o Lesson learned on leveling…use the legos or a 2” x 6” for side to side…use the power lift for front to back
I need to figure out if there is a master power switch that can shut off everything. I seem to be pulling some power off the battery even when everything is turned off.
o i.e. the clock on the stereo stays on as does the clock on the microwave and that seems to drain the battery. I have kept it plugged in for the last few days until I get time to look at it this weekend
I fired up the furnace to test it out and it creates a lot of fumes. We could not stay in the TT, if it was cold and we needed to use the furnace. I need to determine if it is just new and is burning off some stuff or if there is something wrong with it.
I was surprised at how dirty it was when we picked it up. It is brand new, but it was filthy!!

Overall, I would say we have had a great experience so far and I realized that no matter how many youtube videos I watch, I have a lot more to learn and I am looking forward to this adventure!

Thanks again for all the support of this rookie J
Old 05-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #164
Fulltime family RVer

I realized I could not get the TT level from side to side with the stabilizer jacks (rookie mistake), but figured it out after I started loading the camper with all the goodies I bought and came across the lego blocks. I won’t make that mistake again…
o Lesson learned on leveling…use the legos or a 2” x 6” for side to side…use the power lift for front to back

You seem like you've figured this out, but your stabilizer jacks are NOT for leveling. You need to use blocks to drive up onto:
RV101/Leveling

I need to figure out if there is a master power switch that can shut off everything. I seem to be pulling some power off the battery even when everything is turned off.

Yep. You need to install a battery disconnect switch on the battery. IMO- strange that campers don't come with them. Before I got mine, my camper, with everything "off", will run my battery dead in 5-6 days.

I fired up the furnace to test it out and it creates a lot of fumes. We could not stay in the TT, if it was cold and we needed to use the furnace. I need to determine if it is just new and is burning off some stuff or if there is something wrong with it.

Yep, this is a "new" smell. Open the windows and let it run for a while. It'll burn off.

I was surprised at how dirty it was when we picked it up. It is brand new, but it was filthy!!

Yep- some dealers don't quite clean them up like you'd think they would.

Have fun! It's a continual learning experience!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #165

As for your prodigy setting you want to find a nice straight area. Then when holding the brake override all the way on you want your gain set as High as you can before lockup of your trailer tires. Just trial and error start with say 7 drive and a slow and steady speed apply override if your tires don't lock up then raise your gain and try again. Once you find your lock up point just back off your gain .5 or 1 what increments your controller works in. Hope this helps. Also prodigy I believe can be mounted in any position vertically but make sure it is mounted straight with you vehicle.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #166

ehorn...what do you mean "mounted straight with your vehicle"? Mine is mounted below the steering column near my right knee. It follows the angel of the panel, which is about a 45 degree angle.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #167

What I mean is your controller needs to be pointed in the same direction as your vehicles is pointed. Your unit where it mounts to its mount haha has pivot points that you can move it up and down that is what I mean by vertical adjustment and that doesn't matter with the prodigy. But your horizontal mounting needs to be straight. Where your vehicle is pointed your controller needs to point that direction as well. Man I'm not good at explaining things hope this is as clear as mud for you.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #168

so the brake controller needs to be parrallel to the ground and the the digital screen needs to point towards the driver or TT...am I right? Right now, I suspect mine is not mounted correctly
Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #169
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Don't want to argue here but a true twenty amp outlet is what I have pictured above.
What you have pictured is a 20/15 amp universal outlet .
A true 20 amp device has one prong turned sideways.
Agree Turbs, some folks just like to stir. Both types will work as long as the wiring and breaker are good for 20A.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #170

Parellel to the ground not necessary pointed straight towards trailer yes