Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #101

Take a look at your max axle weights. Im not saying to do this or not but if you are under that, then mechanically the truck will probably be able to handle it. Payload is at a specific rate for some reason though. A couple other things is that base weight includes the driver normally. Also, my trailer fully load for camping has 800lbs tongue weight and is at 7200ibs for trailer weight.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
Any update on the owners that had issues with their coach?
I had to take my TT back to the dealer. The main door was wider at the bottom then at the top. It didn't leak but the screen door would not fit the opening. It rubbed at the top of the frame and there was a gap at the bottom.

At first General RV said there was nothing thy could do, but after I contacted Coachmen about the problem, Coachmen call General and told them they should be able to pull the entire door frame, re-shim it, and re-install the door.

After General started to remove the door they decided that it would cause to much damage to the frame. They contacted Coachmen and the manufacture said they would send an entire new door to be installed.

Also, the "slam" latches for the front cargo doors would not open without a little coxing. General RV told me there wasn't much they could do, but lube the locks and see if that loosened them any. It did! Now they open even when they are locked. I talked to General again about it and they said they would go ahead and replace the locks. (I wish they had just done that to begin with).

I'm new to the whole RV camping thing, so I never know what problems are things that I should take care of on my own or have the dealer look at. I guess I will learn as I go along.
gandr96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTruckster View Post
After doing some additional research, I realized that my trucks payload will be just about maxed out so I'll have to put any additional cargo in the trailer. However, I am adding load range e tires to the truck so that will help a little handling the payload.

My payload is only 1266, With the hitch weight at over 700 ibs , that don't leave any room for much else with the 4 of us in the truck.

Would air bags help with my payload?

Air bags won't increase your payload. They will only help with handling the load as the cargo weight creeps up to the limit. You can also use helper springs instead of air bags. Not that my handling is bad but I'm going to be installing the Roadmaster Active Suspension to my F150 plus a new set of Bilstein shocks to assist in handling my load for added piece of mind.
2013 Nights Booked: 38
2013 Nights Camped: 40
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #104

Quote:
Take a look at your max axle weights. Im not saying to do this or not but if you are under that, then mechanically the truck will probably be able to handle it. Payload is at a specific rate for some reason though. A couple other things is that base weight includes the driver normally. Also, my trailer fully load for camping has 800lbs tongue weight and is at 7200ibs for trailer weight.
My axle weight for the rear is 4100ibs. The payload accounts for a 150ibs driver.

I will be getting a Silverado 2500HD with a 4.10 next time.
FamilyTruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #105

Quote:
My axle weight for the rear is 4100ibs. The payload accounts for a 150ibs driver.

I will be getting a Silverado 2500HD with a 4.10 next time.
4100 for the rear and how much for the front? How much does the entire truck way? The difference between the total axle weight limits (both front and back) minus the truck weight gives what is left that the axles can support.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #106

Curb weight is 5900ibs
Front axle 3800 ibs
Rear axle 4100ibs

Curb weight numbers seem to vary between 5600-5900ibs.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #107

Yeah, I see it is the gross and combined gross weight that will be close. The axles can definitley handle it. I have seen many people go over these weights with zero issues. The weight police on the forums would say no go but you can do it if you feel fine with it. I am not saying to do it one way or the other though for my disclaimer.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #108

Quote:
Yeah, I see it is the gross and combined gross weight that will be close. The axles can definitley handle it. I have seen many people go over these weights with zero issues. The weight police on the forums would say no go but you can do it if you feel fine with it. I am not saying to do it one way or the other though for my disclaimer.
Based on the weights of our family with two small kids I will be within range but close to maxed out. This is based on the sticker on the B pillar of the truck.

The only thing is that when I start adding cargo to the trailer my hitch weight will increase.

It's too bad that calculating capacity is so complicated to a newb. When I read that my max trailer load was 8000ibs, I expected that a 5500 ibs trailer was a conservative weight. I knew I had to consider payload but I didn't think about hitch weight.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #109

Quote:
Based on the weights of our family with two small kids I will be within range but close to maxed out. This is based on the sticker on the B pillar of the truck.

The only thing is that when I start adding cargo to the trailer my hitch weight will increase.

It's too bad that calculating capacity is so complicated to a newb. When I read that my max trailer load was 8000ibs, I expected that a 5500 ibs trailer was a conservative weight. I knew I had to consider payload but I didn't think about hitch weight.
Yes I understand that. Just take an easy when pulling with the truck, you should be fine. Save up for another TV. I love my Armada with over 1700lbs payload.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #110

Quote:

Yeah I too just about if not do have my TV maxed out. Just gotta take it easy and know that you are not gonna win any races. And if you hit steep inclines just know that you may piss some folks off behind you! lol I lost 10-15 mph going up grades with my pick up. Only thing that mattered, we made it to our destination safe and sound. Never felt that truck was unsafe pulling the TT, just more power would be nice.

sledhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #111

Hey, do you guys have a radio antenna sticking up on the roof of your Freedom Express? I had an older, smaller F.E. and it did have an antenna sticking up on top. The 292BH that I just got did not.

Also, is it normal for the fan on the electric panel to always run whenever the lights are on? When I have more then half the lights on the fan seems to kick into overdrive. The fan never shut off if the lights are on.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #112

As for the radio antenna, it is combined with the tv antenna. Just raise it through the lever on the ceiling as you come into the door for best reception.

The fan in the electric panel keeps airflow so it does not get too hot. The more power you draw the more the fan will run. remember, the lights are 12v so the panel is used to step down the voltage which creates heat. This is normal.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #113

I have a separate radio antenna next to tv antenna. I did not know it was there originally do to the fact it was laying down flat. I adjusted so it is up now.
Ft W crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ft W crew View Post
I have a separate radio antenna next to tv antenna. I did not know it was there originally do to the fact it was laying down flat. I adjusted so it is up now.
Hmm, I'll have to take a look at that when I get mine back from service. I did not notice an antenna up there besides the T.V.

sledhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #115

Shoot, I will have to look also. I was told the antenna was there. I just assumed it was the same one.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #116

My FM antenna is there right beside the TV antenna.
2013 Nights Booked: 38
2013 Nights Camped: 40
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandr96 View Post
Hey, do you guys have a radio antenna sticking up on the roof of your Freedom Express? I had an older, smaller F.E. and it did have an antenna sticking up on top. The 292BH that I just got did not.

Also, is it normal for the fan on the electric panel to always run whenever the lights are on? When I have more then half the lights on the fan seems to kick into overdrive. The fan never shut off if the lights are on.
Yes, separate radio antenna. Our dealer (General RV) made it so it was straight up so we get good reception. I was concerned we would hit it and he said that it was spring loaded and would be ok.

As far as the inverter goes, yes that is normal. The more load that the inverter has to invert 120 VAC to 12 VDC, the harder (hotter) it has to work and therefore the fan kicking in. On one of my coaches, I figured out how many lights I could have on before the fan came on. I don't remember, but I think it was like (4) or something.
icon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #118

I have the separate antenna sticking up as well. Haven't been on the forum for a while and wanted to follow up on my air conditioner. Sent it in to the dealer and they discovered that it is totally broken. Brand new camper and no AC. I can not believe they did not discover this when they tested everything. Hard to believe that they actually tested all the components. Lesson learned on my part to test everything. Anyone else having a problem with their AC?
bmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #119

Only problem with mine is that it sometimes freezes me out. Not really a problem. Make sure they have a 15k unit on there if it did not have one in the first place. If not, I would recommend paying the difference if you can.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #120

I checked the top of my RV for the radio antenna and the mount is there but no antenna. I'll have to call the dealer again and have it added to the list of parts they are ordering to fix my door.

Thanks everyone for checking!

Has anyone checked into replacing their interior lights with LEDs? I've been told it will make it much cooler on the inside and keep the inverter from working so hard.