Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #1

Coachmen freedom express 292bhds

Looking at moving up from a popup to a TT. Came across the coachmen 292bhds and was wondering if anyone has bought one recently and what their experience has been with this model or the coachmen brand. Thank you for any insight.
bmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to bwhunter65
I bought a freedom express last jul and I have had no problems wit hit I like mine a lot think it very nice.
bwhunter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgee View Post
Looking at moving up from a popup to a TT. Came across the coachmen 292bhds and was wondering if anyone has bought one recently and what their experience has been with this model or the coachmen brand. Thank you for any insight.
I am also upgrading from a popup. I am taking delivery on the 292BHDS Liberty Edition tomorrow. I have only found great things about the 292BHDS. After all the research, I found this unit the perfect fit for my family and I. Ohh by the way, you should be able to pick one of these brand new around the low to mid 20's. Got mine for around 24000.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2

I am also upgrading from a popup. I am taking delivery on the 292BHDS Liberty Edition tomorrow. I have only found great things about the 292BHDS. After all the research, I found this unit the perfect fit for my family and I. Ohh by the way, you should be able to pick one of these brand new around the low to mid 20's. Got mine for around 24000.
Thanks for the comment. Send some updates on how it performs as you take some trips. It looks like a great trailer. Can I ask what you are pulling it with?
Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #5

Nissan Armada. I have seen some of your posts about your TV. Your suburban will pull it just fine. Just get a good WD hitch with sway control.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #6

A pic of my setup!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer1.jpg
Views:	2055
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	10508  
Old 02-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
A pic of my setup!
Nice coach. How does it handle down the highway? How do you like the outside kitchen? We looked at one this past week and really liked the layout inside. Wife is a little concerned with the kitchen storage space, what are your thoughts on this?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #8

This coach has awesome storage. No issues with the kitchen. This was my first large trailer tow since I use to have a popup. It was different to say the least. The Armada tows it just fine. I even had a bit of wind Monday. 55-60mph down the highway was good. I could feel it when larger vehicles passed by but got use to it real quickly. Armada had plenty of power and I also have a WD hitch with anti sway. Don't forget you also have storage under the seats at the table for larger kitchen items.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #9

It is plenty for my family.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Nice coach. How does it handle down the highway? How do you like the outside kitchen? We looked at one this past week and really liked the layout inside. Wife is a little concerned with the kitchen storage space, what are your thoughts on this?
I did see a Dodge Durango pulling one of these when I went by the dealership on Monday!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #11

REally suprised no one has commented on your TV pulling this TT. I'm sure it has enough power, etc., but there are those who get a bit "squeamish" about an SUV pulling a camper of this size. Wheelbase vs. size of the TT, etc. Ours is 32' and our '02 Dodge Durango would have been grossly inadequate to pull it. I'm sure the motor could have handled it, but the suspension, transmission, etc., would have been severly taxed.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator
REally suprised no one has commented on your TV pulling this TT. I'm sure it has enough power, etc., but there are those who get a bit "squeamish" about an SUV pulling a camper of this size. Wheelbase vs. size of the TT, etc. Ours is 32' and our '02 Dodge Durango would have been grossly inadequate to pull it. I'm sure the motor could have handled it, but the suspension, transmission, etc., would have been severly taxed.
It just goes to show that wheelbase is not everything when you are setup and loaded properly. A longer wheelbase is more forgiving when the load or setup is not right and during windy days. . Wheelbase is not stated anywhere in the operators manual for any requirement. I am under the 20% difference on all my weights except tongue which with a wd hitch the tongue will not see the full weight anyway. Did I know the trailer was back there? Yes I could feel it. Was it unsafe? No.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #13

Quote:

I meant to ask how did you get the dealer to 24000 for this coach when ordering it? The ones I looked at were listed for around 32000.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #14

Quote:
I meant to ask how did you get the dealer to 24000 for this coach when ordering it? The ones I looked at were listed for around 32000.
It was just a little lower than the show price. Any dealer should be able to match it. Look for places that show lower prices like:
http://www.pecocamping.com/
(peco instantly emails there price to the account you give with no call backs or anything)

http://www.wholesalervclub.com/

Coachmen Freedom Express 292bhds Rvs

Scroll all the way through rvtrader.

This is just a few examples. Again, any dealer should be able to price match or at least get close.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #15

Quote:

It was just a little lower than the show price. Any dealer should be able to match it. Look for places that show lower prices like:
http://www.pecocamping.com/
(peco instantly emails there price to the account you give with no call backs or anything)

http://www.wholesalervclub.com/

Coachmen Freedom Express 292bhds Rvs

Scroll all the way through rvtrader.

This is just a few examples. Again, any dealer should be able to price match or at least get close.
Thanks for the info. That helped a lot. How long did it take to take delivery on your new trailer after you placed the order. Thinking about ordering one.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #16

Actually, they had mine on the lot. I picked mine up in about 4 days.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #17

Well, doing camp driveway this weekend. Working on getting all the supplies needed for the trailer and testing everything out before venturing all over the place. Kids are watching a movie in the bunk house and I am at the table on the computer. This is really nice. Plenty of storage. Tomorrow, I will be installing my second swaybar and adjust some of the setup with the hitch. I need to lower the ball by 2 holes. The trailer is tilted up slightly when on the hitch. I am also going to measure to see what the perfect amount of links to have for the WD hitch. I could really feel the 40mph wind gusts when running 50 mph but was still well on the safe side in the Armada.. Getting everything fined tuned with a second sway bar is going to make it even better.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #18

Camp driveway was a success. I also had time to adjust my hitch setup to a more appropriate configuration and installed a second sway control bar. I moved the hitch ball down 2 holes which made the trailer perfectly level when hooked up to the Armada. I also went up another link on the wd hitch (now 6 links between the spring bar and the hitch.) No my auto level only comes on foe about 15 to 20 seconds. All in all, when I took it back to storage, this trailer felt solid behind the Armada. I am very pleased. Next weekend, going to a campground about 8 miles away for its real true test.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Camp driveway was a success. I also had time to adjust my hitch setup to a more appropriate configuration and installed a second sway control bar. I moved the hitch ball down 2 holes which made the trailer perfectly level when hooked up to the Armada. I also went up another link on the wd hitch (now 6 links between the spring bar and the hitch.) No my auto level only comes on foe about 15 to 20 seconds. All in all, when I took it back to storage, this trailer felt solid behind the Armada. I am very pleased. Next weekend, going to a campground about 8 miles away for its real true test.
That's great. I remember when we driveway camped the first time with our popup. Our kids were so excited. I'm really interested in the freedom express, but the one in our area does not have the fabric we want. I'm looking at one that is a bit of a drive away. What fabric do you have? I' m looking at getting a dual sway control system as well. You mentioned a auto level system, is this an air bag system installed on your vehicle.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #20

Quote:
That's great. I remember when we driveway camped the first time with our popup. Our kids were so excited. I'm really interested in the freedom express, but the one in our area does not have the fabric we want. I'm looking at one that is a bit of a drive away. What fabric do you have? I' m looking at getting a dual sway control system as well. You mentioned a auto level system, is this an air bag system installed on your vehicle.
I highly recommend the Liberty Edition if you have not looked at it already. I am just amazed at the look and quality of this unit. As for the auto leveling on the Armada, it had it stock. I believe it uses air shocks of some type.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	417193_2622374050645_1594020976_1947748_1894780765_n.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	10597