Old 09-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Coachmen Quality

I currently have a Palomino Maverick 8801 truck camper. I love truck campers unfortunately my soon to be size 14 shoes, 6 ft. 13 year old doesn't really fit the fold out couch anymore. Plus, he wants a little privacy. I am looking at a Coachmen Catalina 343QDS with the 2 queen size beds option.

My question is if any owners of Coachmen would share their quality of workmanship issues, warranty issues/handling, plus overall if they are pleased with purchasing their Catalina?

Any input is appreciated!

lisabob415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Site Team
WE have had good luck with our Coachman. Not perfect, but I think a little better than many other brands. AS I understand it, Coachman still operates semi independently from other FR divisions and is hanging on to its reputation and practices.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
No real problems to report here.
The lite has been a good package so far.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
they all have their share of bugs to work out, but overall, Coachmen is probably one of the better ones in that price range. Yes, there much better out there, but it comes at a cost.
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
Done with this
No complaints here. We're very pleased!

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #6
We have had ours for a year and a half. No problems with the build,until, I noticed the front cap has started to faxe out. When we get back home I'll send some pictures to the dealer. I had just cleaned and waxed the nose in July and it has been setting since. Build quality though has been great.
DaveandSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #7
Citrus County, Fl.
A few options I would suggest: sink covers, 30lb propane tanks, Heated/Enclosed under belly, 50 amp service with two A/C units (unless you don't camp above 80 degrees)

You also will be just shy of 10,000 loaded and most likely a tongue weight above 1000lbs so make sure your tow vehicle can handle it including the payload (tongue weight + people + all your stuff in the truck). You will need a good WDH 12000 capacity/1200 tongue weight (Equalizer 4 point is what I used)
2016 Forester 3011DS
2015 Toyota Corrola S toad
PREVIOUS: 2015 Flagstaff 832IKBS
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
I have an 2011 model year, have had a few issues but feel the quality and value is above other lines I have seen. Last year I looked at the Catalina line at the rv show and they in my opinion had gone down hill. That being said, our fall rv show was this weekend and I went over every coachmen there and were no issues I could find on the surface. In fact we were there with a friend who is in the market, the clear winner out of the nearly 50 units in his towable range was a coachmen. It just felt more solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2015 Ram Bighorn 2500 6.4L
Nights Camped 2015: 28
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
Having just bought a chaparral 360ibl the quality is not where i thought it should be, over time we will have the issues addressed walls not flat, bulging with different weather conditions, kitchen faucet installed backwards and dribbling instead of a steady stream, cabinet doors not able to adjust easily, caulking missing where it needs to be, the under storage wall not attached to the water waste manifold plastic frame, the sliding door on the closet for the washer/dryer not staying put when traveling, not big issues just aggravating. The dealer did a lousy PDI and this stuff should not have left the factory this way, lousy inspector. Don't get me wrong I can deal with these things just should not have to. I didn't buy for brand I bought for floor design and this is the only one my wife and i could live with for our needs and we do like the trailer. Summing up there quality control in my opinion is not very good on the little things, I hope it is better on the build things, so far what I have seen their general build quality is better than their finish work quality. Just my opinion and worth what you pay for it
Dave.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
We have had our Coachmen 254DSX for a little over 1 year. We just took it on a month long 4,700 mile trip and had no problems. So far we are extremely pleased. This is our second Coachmen. We toured the factory where ours was made while on our recent vacation. We were impressed with the process. We would definitely recommend Coachmen.

Lee and Mick

LeeandMick is offline   Reply With Quote

coachmen, quality