Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #1

common leak spot in 2017 Apex Nano 193BHS?

I've been looking to buy a 2017 Apex Nano 193BHS.

I've looked at 3 of these (used) in the past week, and I've noticed the same issue on all three, so I'm curious if this is something common to all 2017 models. It's making me leery to buy the unit, despite the fact that the wife and I like the design very much. For one of the 3 units we saw with this 'design flaw', there was actually water damage inside the unit, with very noticeable ripples in the wall. I spoke to the dealer about this, asking how this could happen with azdel walls, and the dealer stated that that model/year, the front of the trailer was not made of azdel/was very flexible.

So we were all gung ho to buy this model/year, but now concerns of water damage issues are making us think twice.

Any other 2017 Apex Nano 193BHS owners here aware of or experience this? I'm attaching a picture of the unit we're looked at last... the door side is where the issue was on all 3 units, the opposite side was 'defect free' (no issues, no 'bumpiness' or rippling). Somewhat hard to tell from the picture, but there is a spot (about level with the light) where there is a gap in the seal, looking as though it's possible water could enter there (same issue we saw on the model with known water damage inside the camper).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7691rsz.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	207008  
wiscampinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #2

*crickets chirping
Old 06-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #3

Having had a delam issue before that looks like delam to me. I think I would pass. And if you saw a gap where water could get in.....it probably did.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Definitely delamination and agree that you should pass.
Unless you enjoy projects.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #5

Delamination on front of 2017 Apex Nano

Go back to June 7th on the forum under ( Take a look. Any advice.) The post will tell you what has happened to the front cap.
Good luck, it is repairable, but not cheep. If repaired outside of a dealer you have better luck of just doing it once. There fix is the same as new, with the same probs the new had.
rickbronco
Broncorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #6

I wound up passing on the Apex Nano. I really liked that camper, but wound up coming across a 2016 Flagstaff Microlite 23LB in pretty much perfect condition for a great price, and wound up jumping at the opportunity (now the fun of selling my Starcraft Launch 16RB).

FWIW, I actually called someone at Forest River about this... they called me back a few days later, and we spoke about the issue. Appears to have been a known issue (involved over-tightening during assembly, from what I recall) that was apparently quickly addressed (and there's a known fix for dealing with it, so long as there's no water leakage/damage), but I did not want to take the chance, and the guy who was selling it couldn't give me good answers regarding his winterizing tactics (did not seem well-versed as an RV owner, for a number of reasons), so we just opted to pass on the opportunity. I think we'll be very happy with the Micro Lite.

I just finished cleaning out all the stuff we had stored in the old camper, now time to go through it all and try to further reduce the amount of crap we take along on our camping trips.

Tags
leak