Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Professional Curmudgeon

Talking Considering a rear kitchen coachmen

Our 1990 Gulfstream Innsbruck TT just got too old and worn to continue, so a couple weekends ago we gave it away. After staying at a hotel at Myrtle Beach that long weekend we decided we just don't want to live without a camper.
At a local dealer we found a 2006 Coachmen Spirit of America 25 RKS. The camper looks really clean inside and out (though the roof needs a good washing) and we really like the floor plan. Unfortunately someone else got there before us and it's under contract. They are trying to finance though, and it might not go through. In the meantime, we have found a new 2014 Catalina 25 RKS that has the same basic floor plan with significant improvements. Most significantly, the bathroom is roomier, with it's own door to the outside.
Though we do like the 2014 floor plan better, the 2006 is half the price, which makes it pretty attractive too.
Other than the effects of old age I never had a problem with my old Gulfstream (which I bought used). All the posts on here concerning new camper problems (especially water/plumbing leaks) has me pretty gunshy as well.
Hopefully, by tomorrow I'll know something about the availability of the 06 unit and have to figure out which way I'm going to go.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #2

Just bought a Chaparral 266sab happy to report no leaks after our first outing.
Bought a new one because it was cheaper than most used units we looked at.
Then there is the warranty of one year or 15,000 miles.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #3

If there is anyway you can go with the new rig, do it. Besides having a warranty, you'll also have the newer upgrades. i.e. LCD TV; larger bathroom & shower; gas/electric/DSI water heater, newer tires, etc. You'll enjoy the new one knowing that you are the first and only people to sleep in the bed, take a shower, or use the holding tanks!
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

Good advice!
After extensive searching, we found the perfect camper for us. It's a 2014 Coachmen 253RKS. I've got an offer out there and hopefully the dealer will accept it.

Trying to not get too excited yet...
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen