Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #31
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post

I am waiting to see which direction I go with the outside kitchen. I have used the Coleman grill a couple times and generally it is great for burgers and dogs, but not so great for much else. I generally prefer charcoal grills anyway - so trying to decide which direction to go.

BTW - what do you plan the new trailer with? Mine came in a little heavier than the book says. actually a lot heavier.
I've never read or heard tell of someone who got the outside kitchen and later wished they hadn't. If that tells you anything. :-)

As for the weight- I'm a firm believer that you make all plans and arrangements based on the maximum trailer weight. If you plan for that, you don't care nor have to worry about the fictional "dry weight".

Old 03-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #32

Jeep, not quite sure what you mean with 'what do you plan with the new trailer with' but by your next sentence I think you mean what weight, so I will go that way. I am not sure, I am getting the fully optioned one with the fireplace and such, I'm sure I have about 1500 pounds of gear that I tag along, but I do have a cummins Dually as a TV so I'm not that worried. I assume close to 10,000 lbs loaded and ready to go.

What hitch did you end up with? I know I saw your other threads at the other forums, and I know you we're talking Hensley or the Reese. I have a Pro-Pride and an Equalizer, just not sure which I will use on this trailer.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
As for the weight- I'm a firm believer that you make all plans and arrangements based on the maximum trailer weight. If you plan for that, you don't care nor have to worry about the fictional "dry weight".
YES!! I have some friends that just bought a new TT and I kept telling them to stay below a certain GVWR because dry weights don't mean crap. But the damn sales people just keep telling them to look at the dry weights. They would have ended up with way too much trailer for their TV.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #34
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordog View Post
YES!! I have some friends that just bought a new TT and I kept telling them to stay below a certain GVWR because dry weights don't mean crap. But the damn sales people just keep telling them to look at the dry weights. They would have ended up with way too much trailer for their TV.
I've just started a blog about my experiences, thoughts and opinions. In wrote a page on this exact topic:
Doug's blog on towing weighs

And then there's a link at the bottom where I helped my father-in-law with this planning.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #35
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordog View Post
Jeep, not quite sure what you mean with 'what do you plan with the new trailer with' but by your next sentence I think you mean what weight, so I will go that way. I am not sure, I am getting the fully optioned one with the fireplace and such, I'm sure I have about 1500 pounds of gear that I tag along, but I do have a cummins Dually as a TV so I'm not that worried. I assume close to 10,000 lbs loaded and ready to go.

What hitch did you end up with? I know I saw your other threads at the other forums, and I know you we're talking Hensley or the Reese. I have a Pro-Pride and an Equalizer, just not sure which I will use on this trailer.
sorry - my fingers got behind my brain.

What I was asking is what tow vehicle you plan to use.

I have run mine through a scale a couple times and am actually quite happy with how it is set-up now.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #36

So Jeep, what hitch do you use then?

My Cummins Dually doesn't even notice the Evergreen in tow, and that camper is about 7500 lbs wet. So I'm not expecting the Coachman to be too much more for the truck.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #37

you had me at cummins...miss the 05 I had.

I started out with the dealer installed Reece Pro Series 10K hitch, 1K round bars and single friction sway bar. That sucked.

Upgraded to Reece Straight Line Dual Cam 12K with 1200lb trunnion bars. Totally different animal. The dual cam will actively push to straighten truck and trailer. Very different experience, and much better WDH. I weighed mine before and after, and it turned out much better.

Just pulled it down to Arkansas and back last week, about 375 miles each way, so much easier to pull now.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #38

Enjoying the conversation as we love the 320BHDS floorplan and have been looking at upgrading to a larger trailer ourselves. Obviously having a Duramax to start with is a huge help so I'm not too worried about towing weights below 10K but I do appreciate the info on the hitch setup.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl4 View Post
Enjoying the conversation as we love the 320BHDS floorplan and have been looking at upgrading to a larger trailer ourselves. Obviously having a Duramax to start with is a huge help so I'm not too worried about towing weights below 10K but I do appreciate the info on the hitch setup.
spent 5 days in our last week for Spring Break and my wife re-iterated how much she just loves the floorplan. So far we have been nothing but happy with it.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #40

I can't wait for mine to show up, I will be camping a couple times in the old trailer before I get my 320BHDS. But hopefully will have it for Memorial Day weekend.

I think I am going to hook it up to the Equal-I-Zer first to see how it tows, if I don't like it, I will be putting the Pro-Pride on it. The only reason I will be doing that is because the Equal-I-Zer is just a tad easier to hook up, like at a funny angle the coupler will fall onto the ball, where on the PP you need to be near perfect, and some small camp grounds that can be tricky.