Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
daydreaming about camping

did anyone see the 320BHDS on HGTV?

According to the latest version of the COA magazine which hit our mailbox yesterday, HGTV aired their special on 1/1/13 about the September Hershey show and one couple picked the 320.

Nice we got the magazine the day after the show aired...

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #2

What isCOA magazine?
geodavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #3

the Coachmen Owners Association

Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

According to the HGTV site (RV 2013 : Special : Home & Garden Television) That episode will re-air on 1/11 8:00 PM and 3:00 AM.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #5

If I remember correctly, they chose that one so they could use their existing TV. When they introduced the couple, they showed their current setup and it appeared to be a Dodge Durango hooked up to their TT. If that is the case, I hope they had another "truck" they were going to use to tow with.
Now I will have to DVR it again to check that out. Not sure why I didn't think about that while watching the show the first time.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #6

seriously, a Durango? I used to tow my 7500 lb boat with a Durango. was not such a good idea. cannot imagine towing this thing with a Durango. Great truck, loved it as a family vehicle, but it is not a 3/4 ton.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #7

Like I said, I think that's what it was but I could be wrong. I have the DVR set for the 3AM showing on the 12th and will check the following day.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

oh good, maybe they finally got a salesman on camera saying your TV can tow anything on this lot.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #9

Ok, my DVR randomly recorded this last night and it made me think about this post.
At the beginning of the show, it shows the couple's existing setup and best I can tell this is a Durango.

Sorry for the bad pics, took them with my phone from the TV

The couple did mention that they selected this camper because they could use their existing "truck" to pull it. I can only assume that this is what they are referring to.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #10

That is actually a Chrysler Aspen, which is to the Durango as the Denali is to the Tahoe.

We used to own a Durango, and pulled a 7500 boat with it. The brakes were not up to the task. We looked at the Aspen, which has the same drivetrain, but a different rear suspension set-up.

The Salem looks like too much trailer for the Aspen - much less a 320.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
oh good, maybe they finally got a salesman on camera saying your TV can tow anything on this lot.
They did have a salesman claim a fifth wheel was 1/2 ton towable. From them walking around the inside, I looked at wife and went "Ehh... possibly.".
Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I towed a 5000 lb 2 horse , horse trailer with my old '00 Durango. I would not have want to tow any more than that with it. That Aspen towing a 320bhds is just asking for trouble.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
I towed a 5000 lb 2 horse , horse trailer with my old '00 Durango. I would not have want to tow any more than that with it. That Aspen towing a 320bhds is just asking for trouble.
New member here...

I have a 2012 Nissan Armada (9000 lbs tow capacity, 123" wheelbase). I worked with a dealer in Pontiac Illinois and we ordered a 320BHDS. I am nervous about it, but the dealer and a few other owners think it will be okay.

I even called Coachmen and gave them the details of my tow vehicle and they said it was designed to be pulled by a half ton.

I live in Illinois and things are flat here, so I am pretty confident I won't be taking it to CO, but am hopeful it will be okay behind my Armada.

If not, I guess I will trade it in or upgrade the tow vehicle...
Hornswoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornswoggle View Post

New member here...

I have a 2012 Nissan Armada (9000 lbs tow capacity, 123" wheelbase). I worked with a dealer in Pontiac Illinois and we ordered a 320BHDS. I am nervous about it, but the dealer and a few other owners think it will be okay.

I even called Coachmen and gave them the details of my tow vehicle and they said it was designed to be pulled by a half ton.

I live in Illinois and things are flat here, so I am pretty confident I won't be taking it to CO, but am hopeful it will be okay behind my Armada.

Welcome to the forum

The most important thing to look at is you ccc or cargo carrying capacity as you'll exceed that first.
Do you know what your ccc is?

And furthermore if they didn't ask you what your ccc was then they have no business telling you you can 1/2 ton tow said trailer.

Also you'll likely get a better response by starting a new thread as to tag on another.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #15

Quote:
New member here...

I have known several people who loved their Armada or QX, well except for the MPG.

I think they make a good tow vehicle. I just encourage you to look closely at the numbers. I am pretty sure the tongue weight will be more than your truck is rated for.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post

I have known several people who loved their Armada or QX, well except for the MPG.

I think they make a good tow vehicle. I just encourage you to look closely at the numbers. I am pretty sure the tongue weight will be more than your truck is rated for.

Shouldn't the WDH solve for that? What are your thoughts on the Hensley Hitch?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornswoggle View Post

shouldn't the wdh solve for that? What are your thoughts on the hensley hitch?
absolutely not
Old 03-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Shouldn't the WDH solve for that? What are your thoughts on the Hensley Hitch?
The WDH will push some of the weight to the front axle (and a very small amount back to the trailer), but the key here is ALL that weight is still going onto your truck and counting against your payload or cargo carrying capacity.

This is where so many people run into problems, because their tongue weight actually exceeds their cargo capacity. A WDH may force the truck into a level towing attitude, but you are still over the manufacturer specs for GVWR of the tow vehicle.

While the Hensley may be a great product (I have never owned one) it does not affect the weight distribution at all. The Hensley is advertised for sway control (or elimination as they will say). It is not better at weight distribution than any other hitch.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #19

It is frustrating...I gave the dealer and the manufacturer the specifics of my tow vehicle and yet they told me that the 320BHDS is fine. I am a first timer and I trust that their knowledge far exceeds mine so when they tell me my tow vehicle can handle this trailer, even with it loaded, I said okay!

They told me that I won’t have any problems and the WDH will handle the potential hitch weight issues, but in reading the forum, it seems like I could have an issue. I tried to talk my wife into a different model, but said is trusting the dealer and manufacturer wouldn’t steer us wrong and I really have no way of disputing her on that point.

Why wouldn’t the dealer or manufacturer steer us to a model that is a better fit vs. trying to stick 10 lbs of sand in a 5 lbs bag?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
It is frustrating...I gave the dealer and the manufacturer the specifics of my tow vehicle and yet they told me that the 320BHDS is fine. I am a first timer and I trust that their knowledge far exceeds mine so when they tell me my tow vehicle can handle this trailer, even with it loaded, I said okay!

They told me that I won’t have any problems and the WDH will handle the potential hitch weight issues, but in reading the forum, it seems like I could have an issue. I tried to talk my wife into a different model, but said is trusting the dealer and manufacturer wouldn’t steer us wrong and I really have no way of disputing her on that point.

Why wouldn’t the dealer or manufacturer steer us to a model that is a better fit vs. trying to stick 10 lbs of sand in a 5 lbs bag?
To sell you a camper my friend that's there only job and to upsell if they can.

When they say half ton towable there might be one properly equipped 1/2 that's available to to it and it may be at max which doesn't mean all 1/2 tons can.