Old 06-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNut View Post
I do have that adapter, but I was just thinking that the slide out motor or awning motor may draw to much amperage from their house and open the breaker, but it sounds like that's not the case. I was aware of not running the ac however as well as microwave. Thanks for the info!
Without hooking to anything, the slide out motors and the awning can be used several times from the on board battery without concern for drawing the battery too low.

And yes, you could leave the umbilical cord attached between the tow vehicle and the trailer for peace of mind while using those items.

Once hooked to the cabin's power (through the necessary 30-15 amp adapters) neither the awning or slide will draw enough current to open the cabin's breaker because neither run off 120v.

Remember, the awning and slides run off 12v.
The only thing using household current (shore power) to make either of those work is your converter. It will convert the 120v from the cabin to 12v in your trailer.
The converter can safely be run using the adapters mentioned above.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #12

So, just to clarify, if I just keep camper hooked up to my truck, while I'm opening/closing slide,I'll be ok, correct? Like if I were camping at a rustic campground with no power hook up for instance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

2016 Coachman Catalina 251RLS
NitroNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #13

Thank you 5picker, I posted my clarification request before I saw your post explaining exactly what I asked. And thank you all for the input!

2016 Coachman Catalina 251RLS
NitroNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #14

Quote:
So, just to clarify, if I just keep camper hooked up to my truck, while I'm opening/closing slide,I'll be ok, correct? Like if I were camping at a rustic campground with no power hook up for instance.

Yes, your truck will charge the batteries on the trailer if it's hooked up. Or, use the adapter and plug into their 20A outlet. Either way you will be perfectly fine. When you're boondocking with no power, you can just use your truck.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:24 AM   #15

Quote:

Yes, yes and yes all good advice so far, but batteries would be better versus battery.
Also. Avoid my rookie mistake number 1. Do not assume the truck will charge your battery or batteries in route. The TV is like a big expensive trickle charger, so make sure to plug in for at least 24 hours to top the batteries off before you pullout. Just that you even mention rustic camping cries for you to have two batteries and then at least a Renogy 100 w suitcase as soon as the budget permits.

Happy camping. Tom
Old 06-14-2016, 12:32 AM   #16

Quote:
I do have that adapter, but I was just thinking that the slide out motor or awning motor may draw to much amperage from their house and open the breaker, but it sounds like that's not the case. I was aware of not running the ac however as well as microwave. Thanks for the info!
Everything on you trailer runs on the 12 volt battery except: The A/C, Refrigerator when it is on electric, microwave, water heater when it is on electric, television and your convertor which is also used to charge the battery. I would plug it in to a regular 110 outlet if you can. This will allow you to keep your battery charged without running your truck. I wouldn't try and run the A/C as you may have a low voltage situation which could damage it. Run the fridge and water heater on gas, use your lights which are 12 volt and all will be fine.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:39 AM   #17

Your dealer should have supplied you with a 30 to 15 amp adapter for your cord. Just plug into garage or house ( not a gfi plug ) with a 25 ft. Extension cord . Be sure to use a 12/3 or preferably a 10/3 if you are going to use your air cond.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsdaletc View Post
Your dealer should have supplied you with a 30 to 15 amp adapter for your cord. Just plug into garage or house ( not a gfi plug ) with a 25 ft. Extension cord . Be sure to use a 12/3 or preferably a 10/3 if you are going to use your air cond.
Why not plug into a GFI? My 19' TT has been plugged in to an exterior GFI outlet for the last year and I have not had any issues. Of course I also don't use the trailer much when it's at home, but I do run the A/C while we are unloading and cleaning. I look forward to any advise on this topic!
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:55 AM   #19

As has been mentioned two GFCI's in the same circuit will not always play well with each other. They say that........ The campers GFCI's will sometime cause the house GFCI to trip. Outlet GFCIs go bad often so yours may or may not be working.

Our house does not have an outside GFCI so I do not have to worry about it.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #20
Prime Member

I just upgraded the batteries on my TT from the little piece of junk that came with it to a pair of 90ah deep cycle marine batteries. After a full weekend of dry camping, they still show as fully charged.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power