Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNut View Post
Thank you 5picker, I posted my clarification request before I saw your post explaining exactly what I asked. And thank you all for the input!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
If you are going to use an adapter and plug into the cabin or other Non-RV 30 amp source and your RV power cord is not long enough to reach the source, use a heavy extension cord 12ga or larger and keep the length as short as possible 15' or so of cord. Doing this will give you the most power to the rig and keep the amp draw down and voltage up.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:14 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNut View Post
So, just to clarify, if I just keep camper hooked up to my truck, while I'm opening/closing slide,I'll be ok, correct? Like if I were camping at a rustic campground with no power hook up for instance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
As others have explained, your slides operate from 12 volt DC. If you plug into your friends cabin with 120 volt AC, then all the 12 volt DC things operate off of your converter instead of your battery, which converts 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC. Even if are using a converter at max (running many 12 volt DC things at the same time), the converter usually only draws around 8 amps or so from your friends cabins 120 volt 15 amp connection. You should not be in any danger of tripping his breaker, if it's properly wired and nothing else is really on that circuit there.

I always recommend to those just beginning, these two great articles by Mark Polk, that explain RV's electrical systems as well as the converters function in fairly easy terms.

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Also not knowing what brand water heater you have, I also recommend reading this FAQ if it applies to you. Many a dealer fails in the PDI to properly explain the dual operation of a Suburban water heater (if applicable)

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

Welcome aboard, and feel free to ask any/all questions. That's what these forums are for, to help one another and share knowledge.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #23

And if someone hasn't mentioned it yet, if you don't have LED lights in your trailer look on Ebay and order some. 16 LED's take the same as one of your heat generating yellow bulbs. much brighter and more battery conservation as well.

Tags
power