Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albany, GA.
Posts: 804
Reply to post #8: Before retirement I held a State of Georgia Water Treatment license. Most, but not all, municipal potable water systems do add chlorine to the water to prevent a large range of bacteria, molds, etc. BUT--leaving this type water standing in a pipe/hose for three (3) days and the chlorine will evaporate (for lack of a better term). This leaves the water subject to rising ambient air temps which will raise the water temp and lead to Legionnaire's Disease. Even though the water is trapped within the hose/pipe the LD will grow and the spores will become airborne. The next time you open a faucet which this hose/pipe supplies you will get the LD spores in both the liquid of the water and airborne. You would have to flush your hose/piping lines with a large amount of fresh chlorinated water to kill these spores. Blowing out the lines of you RV with air leaves some water in the lines and LD would love to grow within these lines as they love warmth, darkness, and a little water. Your safest bet may be to add the anti-freeze, although I particularly don't like that method, or by adding some Clorox to the system. Figure about one cup of Clorox to a gallon of water. BUT--Clorox can/will cause certain types of plastic lines to deteriorate. I'm usually the one people call "different" and I keep my water aelectricity hooked up while the TT is parked at home. I keep the inside temp at 76 degrees during hot weather and 66 degrees during cooler weather. I go into the unit often and turn on every water faucet for a minute or two just for this purpose.
__________________

__________________
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Reply to post #8: Before retirement I held a State of Georgia Water Treatment license. Most, but not all, municipal potable water systems do add chlorine to the water to prevent a large range of bacteria, molds, etc. BUT--leaving this type water standing in a pipe/hose for three (3) days and the chlorine will evaporate (for lack of a better term). This leaves the water subject to rising ambient air temps which will raise the water temp and lead to Legionnaire's Disease. Even though the water is trapped within the hose/pipe the LD will grow and the spores will become airborne. The next time you open a faucet which this hose/pipe supplies you will get the LD spores in both the liquid of the water and airborne. You would have to flush your hose/piping lines with a large amount of fresh chlorinated water to kill these spores. Blowing out the lines of you RV with air leaves some water in the lines and LD would love to grow within these lines as they love warmth, darkness, and a little water. Your safest bet may be to add the anti-freeze, although I particularly don't like that method, or by adding some Clorox to the system. Figure about one cup of Clorox to a gallon of water. BUT--Clorox can/will cause certain types of plastic lines to deteriorate. I'm usually the one people call "different" and I keep my water aelectricity hooked up while the TT is parked at home. I keep the inside temp at 76 degrees during hot weather and 66 degrees during cooler weather. I go into the unit often and turn on every water faucet for a minute or two just for this purpose.
What you say about chlorine dissipating with time is true. However, checkmate99 is probably only talking about one day so that shouldn't cause a problem. A cup of bleach per gallon of water? That sounds like an awful lot. That is more than manufactures recommend to sanitize your fw tank. I use to shock my swimming pool when I had it and never used that much.

Jim
__________________

__________________
07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
Just A Member
 
EDABEUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Flushing, Michigan
Posts: 217
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I have been really busy at work and have not had time to get back to this thread. My question was more along the lines of water not draining from plumbing not winterizing. I believe water gets trapped in pipes and along Thurman's post is what my concern is. I see no easy way to drain water system completely. Correct me if I am wrong but even if I blow out my pipes I still can have water in front of the water pump. That line in my TT runs uphill from the pump which I see can never drain unless I unhooked it. I am more inclined to think this is a design/warranty issue.
__________________
Ed & Brenda
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express
Liberty Edition 297RLDS
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I have been really busy at work and have not had time to get back to this thread. My question was more along the lines of water not draining from plumbing not winterizing. I believe water gets trapped in pipes and along Thurman's post is what my concern is. I see no easy way to drain water system completely. Correct me if I am wrong but even if I blow out my pipes I still can have water in front of the water pump. That line in my TT runs uphill from the pump which I see can never drain unless I unhooked it. I am more inclined to think this is a design/warranty issue.
If you unhook the pump make sure it is the pressure side. Check valves I the pump will prevent anything from draining back.

Your best bet is an antifreeze adding system. Easy to install. Then add antifreeze and you will never have to worry. See the photo: It is just a 3 way valve and a short hose.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4H8A5621.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	93965   Click image for larger version

Name:	4H8A5627.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	93966  
__________________
07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #15
Just A Member
 
EDABEUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Flushing, Michigan
Posts: 217
I did add a antifreeze hose this year when I winterized it. My water pump is next to impossible to access so I thought I would only do it once. Now I am thinking that maybe I should add a new low point drain in front of the pump. Actually I really would like to re-plumb the whole thing. I hate those PEX fittings. I do the bleach before each trip to clean out the pipes. Cheaper than that pink stuff.
__________________
Ed & Brenda
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express
Liberty Edition 297RLDS
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
I did add a antifreeze hose this year when I winterized it. My water pump is next to impossible to access so I thought I would only do it once. Now I am thinking that maybe I should add a new low point drain in front of the pump. Actually I really would like to re-plumb the whole thing. I hate those PEX fittings. I do the bleach before each trip to clean out the pipes. Cheaper than that pink stuff.
Do you have a Home Depot near you? You can get the pink antifreeze for under 5 a gallon plus tax. Three gallons should do most trailers. Don't forget to drain the hw tank first and use the bypass valves. Not a bad price, have seen it for 8 to 9 In cg.

Jim
__________________
07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
offroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Do you have a Home Depot near you? You can get the pink antifreeze for under 5 a gallon plus tax.
It's at $2.75 per gallon at my local WM.

Tractor supply usually has it for around $3 as well.
Traveller RV & Multi-Purpose Antifreeze, 1 gal. - For Life Out Here
__________________
2017 Open Range - Light 297RLS, BX1 Gooseneck
2014 Ram 2500 4x4 CCSB 6.7L 68RFE
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
It's at $2.75 per gallon at my local WM.

Tractor supply usually has it for around $3 as well.
Traveller RV & Multi-Purpose Antifreeze, 1 gal. - For Life Out Here
Thanks, good to know. I go past one about once a month. Going to have to stop and look around.

Jim
__________________
07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Evereddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pfafftown NC
Posts: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsvolsfan View Post
I screw mine into my pressure regulator before attaching it to trailer. Can't be to safe.
A pressure regulator built for liquids will not work the same for air.
__________________
There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those that know binary, and those that don't.
Evereddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I have been really busy at work and have not had time to get back to this thread. My question was more along the lines of water not draining from plumbing not winterizing. I believe water gets trapped in pipes and along Thurman's post is what my concern is. I see no easy way to drain water system completely. Correct me if I am wrong but even if I blow out my pipes I still can have water in front of the water pump. That line in my TT runs uphill from the pump which I see can never drain unless I unhooked it. I am more inclined to think this is a design/warranty issue.
When I winterize, I drain all water, blow out the pipes, re-empty the filter canister, put antifreeze in all of the traps and holding tanks then take care of the pump. The pump is winterized by running antifreeze in through the winterizing pipe. I only use enough to put antifreeze in the pipe from the water pump to the filter canister. The filter canister is clear so it's easy to tell that there's antifreeze between the pump and it.

As an aside, I've read that PEX pipe is rated to withstand water freezing inside it. I've never tried to verify this and, even if the pipe withstands the pressure from Ice forming inside it, I'd be concerned that the inexpensive compression fittings used at the end of the pipes would give way under that pressure then leak the following season.

Phil
__________________

__________________
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drain, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.