Old 10-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
Just A Member

Do Your Water Pipes Drain ????

Seems that our new 2015 Coachman 297RLDS was plumbed by someone that did not understand water flow. It has many areas that the pipes run upwards and hold water in the pipes. I have had many RV's and have always been able to open all the water faucets and drain pipes through the low point outlets. I also see the kitchen faucet that is a pull out sprayer type has a long loop in the hose that will not drain even when you pull it up all the way. The only thing I can think of to do is remove the faucet screens after each trip and blow them out from inside. I do not want water sitting in the pipes between trips. Does anyone else have these issues ????

2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #2

make a fitting for your air compressor with a garden hose end and install it in your city water hook up. Blow everything out then add some rv antifreeze to the traps, done deal.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #3

Buy one of these blow out fitting at your local RV shop or on-line.

Name:   Blow out.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  8.6 KB

It screws onto the city water connection on your trailer. Attach an air line to the fitting. Keep the air pressure from your compressor fairly low ~30lb so as not to damage any of the plumbing. Go through the trailer opening each faucet and you'll see some water come out then just hissing air. Close that faucet and go to the next one. I'd suggest starting at the closest faucet to the city water inlet moving towards the one farthest away.

And don't forget to drain your hot water heater tank. Many have an anode rod attached to the drain so it also gives you the chance to inspect it while draining the tank.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #4

I screw mine into my pressure regulator before attaching it to trailer. Can't be to safe.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsvolsfan View Post
I screw mine into my pressure regulator before attaching it to trailer. Can't be to safe.
Good idea

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
Good idea
Yeah. That is a good idea.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:50 PM   #7

Camco Blow Out Plug, Brass - Walmart.com

Old 11-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
RetiredRVer

I don't understand your reluctance to allow water to remain in the plumbing system between your camping trips. Since city water is chlorinated, no harm in leaving the water in the pipes while the unit is sitting.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Plata View View Post
Buy one of these blow out fitting at your local RV shop or on-line.

Attachment 93372

It screws onto the city water connection on your trailer. Attach an air line to the fitting. Keep the air pressure from your compressor fairly low ~30lb so as not to damage any of the plumbing. Go through the trailer opening each faucet and you'll see some water come out then just hissing air. Close that faucet and go to the next one. I'd suggest starting at the closest faucet to the city water inlet moving towards the one farthest away.

And don't forget to drain your hot water heater tank. Many have an anode rod attached to the drain so it also gives you the chance to inspect it while draining the tank.
Or if you have a system to add antifreeze use that hose. As mentioned, bypass and drain the water heater first.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #10

The Camco blow out plug shown is useless unless you have a second person to open the faucets. A locking tire air chuck won't work because the horizontal pressure on the connection will cause it to leak. Of course, you could always hook that adapter up to your brass 90 degree elbow as an alternative.

I made my own adapter using a plastic hose cap and a double male hose connector. The cap is also used to blow out water lines at my home. HFT sells the male compressed air fittings for around $0.79 and plastic hose caps are usually 2/$1.00. The double male adapter is the most expensive piece, costing around $5. If you have an old broken hose, you might be able to cut the male end off of it and for $2.50 add a new male end to a 6" long piece of hose.

Phil

Tags
drain, water