Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #1

Dometic 2652 fridge?

This is the first RV fridge I've had that doesn't have a "real" temperature control. It has a thermistor mounted in a flimsy plastic holder that slides up and down the most right hand fin inside the fridge. It's supposed to regulate the temp. I've found that the thermistor doesn't stay secure in its holder and when you move the plastic holder to adjust the temp, the holder moves but the thermistor doesn't alway move with the holder, it moves by itself within the holder making it difficult to regulate the temp. The wire running to the thermistor is real stiff adding to the problem.

Is this normal for this type of fridge?

We just came back from our first 5 day camping trip and overall had a great time, the camper is perfect for the two of us. Looking forward to many more trips this year before putting it up for the winter.

Thanks
Ohio192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Site Team

A lot of people stick the thermistor to the clip with a dab of silicone sealant so it doesn't slip.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #3

Thanks, I was thinking of doing something like that but was afraid it might somehow alter the characteristics of the sensor.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:31 PM   #4

Mine is doing the same thing....the times it doesn't slide within the clip, it falls out. Looks like I'll be doing the silicone fix as well....

How exactly does moving the thermistor up or down control the fridge temp? I could never figure that one out?
Taco93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio192 View Post
This is the first RV fridge I've had that doesn't have a "real" temperature control. It has a thermistor mounted in a flimsy plastic holder that slides up and down the most right hand fin inside the fridge. It's supposed to regulate the temp. I've found that the thermistor doesn't stay secure in its holder and when you move the plastic holder to adjust the temp, the holder moves but the thermistor doesn't alway move with the holder, it moves by itself within the holder making it difficult to regulate the temp. The wire running to the thermistor is real stiff adding to the problem.

Is this normal for this type of fridge?

We just came back from our first 5 day camping trip and overall had a great time, the camper is perfect for the two of us. Looking forward to many more trips this year before putting it up for the winter.

Thanks
Some people have replaced the thermistor with one of these:

Dometic Thermistor Repair Kit

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco93 View Post
How exactly does moving the thermistor up or down control the fridge temp? I could never figure that one out?
It works on the premise of convection. Hot air rises, cool air sinks.
It's the same principle with the temp of the fins. The higher on the fins you measure the temp, the warmer it is compared to the bottom of the fins.

Moving the thermistor up the fin means it's sensing warmer fin temps and will therefore run the fridge longer to get the fin temp down, which also lowers the overall temp in the fridge.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #7

I wonder how if at all those battery operated fridge fans would affect the operation? I use one of those although I don't know if it does much.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:04 PM   #8
Site Team

The fans work by distributing the cool around the fridge better than convection.

The thermistor still works because it's partially insulated by the clip and it's in direct contact with the fin.

Tags
dometic, fridge