Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #1

draft and moisture in slide out

I have a 2014 292 bdhs freedom express. we are new to full timing as of mid Nov and really haven't had any problems thus far, but we are only 6 weeks in,,,, but last night after returning from our Christmas trip sitting on the love seat in the slide out I noticed a draft, temp outside 31 degrees, so I pulled out the love seat and couldn't find anything to pinpoint the air leak. but in doing so I noticed dew like moisture on the slide wall and only about a foot from the floor. has any one had this problem and what would be causing the moisture. I need to fix as to not cause any mildew or mold. I'm in northern Florida.
roger292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger292 View Post
I have a 2014 292 bdhs freedom express. we are new to full timing as of mid Nov and really haven't had any problems thus far, but we are only 6 weeks in,,,, but last night after returning from our Christmas trip sitting on the love seat in the slide out I noticed a draft, temp outside 31 degrees, so I pulled out the love seat and couldn't find anything to pinpoint the air leak. but in doing so I noticed dew like moisture on the slide wall and only about a foot from the floor. has any one had this problem and what would be causing the moisture. I need to fix as to not cause any mildew or mold. I'm in northern Florida.
That is condensation. I'm betting your windows are wet also. Check where the ceiling meets the side walls. Go to Walmart and buy a dehumidifier. A 30 qt size will do. Don't by the camper size it is too small. We use ours in the summer in the Berkshires when it's cold. As for the draft, is your slide all the way out? Is the seal tight all the way around? Just tap your out switch and see what happens.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #3

Also may want to check the seal outside along the bottom of the slide
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
That is condensation. I'm betting your windows are wet also. Check where the ceiling meets the side walls. Go to Walmart and buy a dehumidifier. A 30 qt size will do. Don't by the camper size it is too small. We use ours in the summer in the Berkshires when it's cold. As for the draft, is your slide all the way out? Is the seal tight all the way around? Just tap your out switch and see what happens.
yes windows were wet as well, didn't check the ceiling and walls corner pretty sure slide is fully extended but will double check, I know the vertical seals are properly in place , but never checked the one underneath
thanks that gives me something to start with. I will follow up once I have examined it more
Thanks for the input
Old 01-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Also may want to check the seal outside along the bottom of the slide
will do thanks for the tip, never really thought of that
thanks again
Old 01-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Condensation is a big issue in R/V's.
Are you opening a vent or cracking a window?
There can be enough condensation simply from breathing in a tightly enclosed R/V to cause moisture issues.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #7

I don't think cracking a window is as effective, you would replace moisture with moisture. As was mentioned before, a 30 pint compressor type unit is the way to go, in a small space like an rv it is important to remove moisture from the air before it has a chance to settle on the cold windows or walls and create real problems. Absorption dehumidifiers are supposed to operate more energy efficient but it takes them 3 times as long to remove the moisture and that is to slow in a small space like a rv.

Also, try to maintain an air space between the mattress and the wall, a warm, slightly damp mattress against a cold wall is always asking for trouble.
If you feel cold air coming in around the slides that doesn't necessarily mean their is a leak it is more likely that the lack of insulation allows for the cold to transfer which can feel like a draft. The best fix for this is, as far as I know, to roll up a towel or blanket and cover that space.

In this picture the area rug under the couch and the towel are very effective in our trailer blocking the cold, even down to -40.

If you don't have dual pane windows consider putting window film on to help reduce the condensation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180102_094226.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	159459  
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #8

I ve heard of drafts coming from removable stairs (access to house batteries) in motor homes where no rubber gasket is present between stairs and body. Also drafts from driver side floor boards where gap exists at the break pedal - fill gap with foam insulation
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:30 PM   #9

Ok I have purchased a dehumidifier, will set it up and get it going . Will update with results. Thanks for all the tips!
Old 01-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
I don't think cracking a window is as effective, you would replace moisture with moisture. As was mentioned before, a 30 pint compressor type unit is the way to go, in a small space like an rv it is important to remove moisture from the air before it has a chance to settle on the cold windows or walls and create real problems. Absorption dehumidifiers are supposed to operate more energy efficient but it takes them 3 times as long to remove the moisture and that is to slow in a small space like a rv.

Also, try to maintain an air space between the mattress and the wall, a warm, slightly damp mattress against a cold wall is always asking for trouble.
If you feel cold air coming in around the slides that doesn't necessarily mean their is a leak it is more likely that the lack of insulation allows for the cold to transfer which can feel like a draft. The best fix for this is, as far as I know, to roll up a towel or blanket and cover that space.

In this picture the area rug under the couch and the towel are very effective in our trailer blocking the cold, even down to -40.

If you don't have dual pane windows consider putting window film on to help reduce the condensation.
Is that an additional rug under you couch or something you added
Old 01-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Is that an additional rug under you couch or something you added
Yes it is, we bought it at Costco several years ago and it just happens to fit snugly under the front of both opposing couches. We do have to roll it up when we pull the slides in but that won't happen for a few more months.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:32 PM   #12

Ok update
I am still having heavy condensation issues. Dehumidifier is pulling moisture almost 30 liters in about 18 hrs. I have it set @ 30% RH. Not sure what else to do.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Ok update
I am still having heavy condensation issues. Dehumidifier is pulling moisture almost 30 liters in about 18 hrs. I have it set @ 30% RH. Not sure what else to do.
55% works for me. Try Run continues. If it's making water it's working. it will shut off auotomatic before it overflows.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
55% works for me. Try Run continues. If it's making water it's working. it will shut off auotomatic before it overflows.
I figured if I set it at 30 that would lesssen the condensation. I'm thinking of going to all electric heat as I have been reading the propane will aid in creating condensation. New at this so I'm just trying to figure it all out
Old 01-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #15

We have been coming to north central Florida for a few years, condensation is a problem, we too have a dehumidifier to alleviate the problems that occur in cooler weather. In addition to condensation behind furnishings you will find that almost all cabinets on outside walls are wet inside. We open those doors to allow air circulation inside them.
For the next few nights when it will be below freezing we will run electric heat only and leave the bath fan lid open an inch or so for ventilation. Just be sure to dry those wet spots and run a fan on them in the warmer part of the day.

Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #16

This proves that it is working.
FYI, running the propane furnace does NOT increase the humidity.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #17

Quote:
I figured if I set it at 30 that would lesssen the condensation. I'm thinking of going to all electric heat as I have been reading the propane will aid in creating condensation. New at this so I'm just trying to figure it all out
Burning propane does create water but that should be exhausted outside and inside air is heated through a heat exchanger. So no added moisture by using the furnace. Electric space heaters are usually quieter than the furnace.
RobnCari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out