Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #1

Draining Freshwater Tank?

I know.... seems easy. So I’m winterizing. Poured 5 gallons of antifreeze in the freshwater tank. Turn on water pump and it doesn’t come up through any of the faucets or toilet. To complicate things when I open the drain valve nothing comes out of there either. Nothing leaking underneath. Not cold enough for any ice blockage. Any theories on what’s going on???? 2016 Freedom Express Blast 271 toy hauler.

I should mention that when I put the antifreeze into the system via the hose under the sink it runs out all faucets fine.
Indian Summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #2

First, not a good idea to winterize that way. Is your camper level? What hose under the sink?
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post
I know.... seems easy. So I’m winterizing. Poured 5 gallons of antifreeze in the freshwater tank.
Mistake! You shouldn't do this nor do you need to.
1. You'll have to flush a lot of water through it, to get rid of the AF taste.
2. The FW tank, once it's drained, has plenty of room for whatever water remains, to expan if it freezes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #4

Quote:
I know.... seems easy. So I’m winterizing. Poured 5 gallons of antifreeze in the freshwater tank. Turn on water pump and it doesn’t come up through any of the faucets or toilet. To complicate things when I open the drain valve nothing comes out of there either. Nothing leaking underneath. Not cold enough for any ice blockage. Any theories on what’s going on???? 2016 Freedom Express Blast 271 toy hauler.

I should mention that when I put the antifreeze into the system via the hose under the sink it runs out all faucets fine.
You need to use the hose under the sink, turn the water heater bypass valve to shut off the water to to the water heater (there may be 3 of them), you don't want AF in your water heater either, some campers have a valve on the hose going into the water pump from the FW tank, some you have to remove the hose on the water pump inlet and hook up the hose for the AF.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:

Do a search on youtube on Winterizing. Never put antifreeze in the freshwater tank. If's for fresh water. You only need 2 gal to winterize. pull through the water pump.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:38 AM   #6

Thanks. The hose under the sink with an open end and a shut off valve is where you can put AF into the system. And yes I closed the in and out lines on the water heater and opened the bypass valve.

I just cannot figure out why nothing pumped up from the FW tank after putting 5 gallons in it AND nothing comes out when I open the drain valve. Yes the trailer is nearly level.
Indian Summer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, tank, water, water tank