Old 10-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #1

Electric Bed Blanket

This will be a (2) two part question. I have a sunbeam smaller fleece type electric blanket that works wonderful when plugged into 120V from the campground. However, when I go to use it with the inverter (750 watts) it immediately throws a F1 fault code. I called tech support and their answer was simply, it says in the instructions not to use it with an inverter? I am using a standard inverter and would you'all (Love that word) know if this would require a pure sine wave inverter? I understand why sensitive electronics need a pure sine, but I never would have thought an electric throw would need one. By the way it only pulls 140 watts at maximum heat.

The second thought I had instead of buying a pure sine (if needed) it may be more cost effective to simply get a 12Volt throw. That being the case, does anyone have a recommendation for a 12 volt throw, hopefully with heat control?
Thanks in advance - great forum

jsj248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:47 AM   #2

For your second question, last year, my nephew gave us a 12 volt throw made by "SBI Smart Brands Intl [America], 12 Bradwick Drive Unit #5, Concord, Ontario L4K 3P6. Not sure where they bought it - possibly Target or Walmart.
Its heat control is simple - on or off... My wife loves it and uses it quite a bit. Throw is black/red plaid.

Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
2012 Solera

I had an issue using a heating pad with a modified sine wave inverter - the controller got quite warm. I did convert to a pure sine wave inverter - believe that solved my issue (but have only tested the heating pad briefly - haven’t used significantly since changing).
I was also surprised that a simple heating pad would have a problem with an MSW inverter. Must be something in the design of the controller electronics. Believe the older, bimetallic point type controllers would be fine.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Head Rambler

Those electronic controls on most small appliances now have a problem with the chopped signal of a modified sine wave inverters. Either switching to a pure sine wave inverter or to a 12 volt blanket will solve the problem.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #5

Thanks

I guess the best move is to grab a 12 volt throw.......Thank you for the input. I too, was surprised that the controller had a problem without the pure sign wave.....

Thank you to all who commented and the recommendation...
jsj248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, electric