Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #1

Evaporator water put to good use??

For 2 years now we have filled up the dogs water tub half way and stuck it under whichever corner the ac decided to drain to and this keeps it on the up and up. My stupid question is , how hillbilly and unsanitary is it for me to be concocting a rig that will allow this otherwise "wasted" "water" to be ran directly back into our fresh water tanks??
Let the brainstorming begin...
AJCR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Strongly suggest you just use it for filling the dog' water bowl.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
tjm

I wouldn't even give it to my dog. Who knows how much bird poop...etc it runs thru.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #4

Just to clarify, I am assuming one would run a direct line from the evaporator core drain to the fresh tank in this case. Maybe even rig up an in line filter?
Old 04-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm View Post
I wouldn't even give it to my dog. Who knows how much bird poop...etc it runs thru.
I take it you've never seen dogs drink from a mud puddle?

We have 3 water bowls for our dog and she will drink from one of them and then immediately go outside and drink out of the drain at the side of the garage or from the pools on the driveway.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
tjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I take it you've never seen dogs drink from a mud puddle?

Sure, my dog is a hunting dog that has eaten and drank all kinds of stuff. I had a dog eat razor blades. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm View Post
Sure, my dog is a hunting dog that has eaten and drank all kinds of stuff. I had a dog eat razor blades. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Now let's get ridiculous.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I have a dehumidifier that runs practically 24/7. I have 8' of clear hose to the drain from the unit. In a months time it grows some kind of a clear slime. I would not ever consider drinking that or giving it to my dogs.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Another idea of what to do with the condensate water, let it drain on the grass/gravel/concrete and just don't catch it at all.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #10
tjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Now let's get ridiculous.

Oh...we are just getting started on the ridiculous things a dog will consume. But since I'm not a dog, I'll leave the fresh water tank fresh.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #11
Site Team

Look at all the stuff that runs off your roof ( cause of black streaks) then ask yourself do you want that in your fresh water tank.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #12

I wouldn't give that water to my ex-wife and I hate her.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I wouldn't give that water to my ex-wife and I hate her.

Ha ha, shame. I would give it to my ex. I strongly dislike him.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:38 AM   #14

I wash my roof and it gets stored inside, so no streaks here. Either way the dogs seem to love it, it's clear and the lake water they drink isnt... plus I never have to fill it. It's a win win!
Old 04-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #15

water from the roof

In Bermuda with very limited fresh water the houses have a whitewashed roof and semi enclosed down spouts that dump rain water into a cistern under the house. This is the water that they use for everything. Granted they do not have the pollution that we have here.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #16

Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
In Bermuda with very limited fresh water the houses have a whitewashed roof and semi enclosed down spouts that dump rain water into a cistern under the house. This is the water that they use for everything. Granted they do not have the pollution that we have here.
First that triangle thing and now this. I will not be visiting Bermuda.
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #17

In years gone by, many, many homes had cisterns and the water collected from the downspouts was " soft " water piped to the water heater and used for everything that hot water was needed for. A good use for " clean " water and certainly saved money for the homeowner.
I notice that there are new homes being built with cisterns due to water shortages in certain parts of the country, so there has to be something to say for collecting " runoff " water from all sources to be available for many uses.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:42 PM   #18

I'd install a cistern in a heart beat if I could. Unfortunately, I cannot even capture in a barrel the water that runs down my downspots; that water is owned by the gubment and I don't have any right to it despite being on my property.

Rain water collection=illegal
Marijuana = legal

Gotta love Colorado
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #19

Too much time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCR2011 View Post
For 2 years now we have filled up the dogs water tub half way and stuck it under whichever corner the ac decided to drain to and this keeps it on the up and up. My stupid question is , how hillbilly and unsanitary is it for me to be concocting a rig that will allow this otherwise "wasted" "water" to be ran directly back into our fresh water tanks??
Let the brainstorming begin...
It seems you have too much time on your hands to ask a question like that. Your dog needs a constant supply of fresh water and not from the AC condensation. That water could be contaminated with all sorts of things like mold from your evaporator. Use common sense with your pet as he heeds fresh water as you do. One thing you can do is drink the wastewater yourself for a couple of weeks. If you feel fine after that then it's ok for Rover.
Tropiccafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropiccafe View Post
It seems you have too much time on your hands to ask a question like that. Your dog needs a constant supply of fresh water and not from the AC condensation. That water could be contaminated with all sorts of things like mold from your evaporator. Use common sense with your pet as he heeds fresh water as you do. One thing you can do is drink the wastewater yourself for a couple of weeks. If you feel fine after that then it's ok for Rover.
Rather snide aren't we? While I wouldn't give my dog the water from the AC run-off and I do agree that the dog should have fresh water, your "too much time on your hands" and suggesting he drinks the water is unnecessary IMO. Do you suggest that one should eat dog food for a "couple weeks" before giving to your dog? Dogs can eat/drink many things without getting sick that us humans can't. The "treats" in a kitty litter box is an example. I haven't tried them to see if they will make me sick, but if you decide to test it, please report back.

Tags
water