Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #1

Excess air in lines/pump

I de-winterized our 254dsx TT this weekend and I am getting a ton of air in the faucets. I hooked up the city water and everything flows great, then when using the fresh tank and electric pump I get air in with water.

I removed the line going in to pump, sealed the threads with Teflon tape and reinstalled the line. Not sure what else to do. This is our first time busing the new trailer so everything is new.
wineldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineldr View Post
I de-winterized our 254dsx TT this weekend and I am getting a ton of air in the faucets. I hooked up the city water and everything flows great, then when using the fresh tank and electric pump I get air in with water.

I removed the line going in to pump, sealed the threads with Teflon tape and reinstalled the line. Not sure what else to do. This is our first time busing the new trailer so everything is new.
Make sure you have water in the fresh water tank.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #3

How much water in fresh tank? Should be 5-10 gallons or more. Air is normal for a few minutes.
Good luck!
Grn_Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #4

Do you have a anti-freeze suction line before your pump, check that either the valve is fully closed or capped.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #5

It takes a bit to get all the air out of the lines, filter, etc. at first. Fill your fresh tank with quite a bit of water and then let all of your water sources run a for a few minutes. It should clear shortly unless there is a leak somewhere that is allowing air into the lines before the pump.

- Randy
Old 03-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
Average Joe

Mine does that when I forget to close the fresh water tank drain.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #7

Thank you. The tank is full and the plug in the drain line is in.
wineldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #8

Could take awhile. Also, my unit has washer/dryer connections, I kept getting the occasional bubbles and the pump took a long time to shut off. One evening it hit me, I went outside and opened the washer connections letting them run into a cup Bone dry with lots of air, ever since no more bubbles and the pump shuts off after a couple of seconds.

Your unit shouldn't have those connections, but check every faucet, toilet, shower, outside shower, everything. I'd even carefully open the safety valve on the water heater, see if there's some air trapped in the top of the tank.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineldr View Post

Recently we were coming home from Florida in bad weather and had to stop for the night. All lines were full from city water the prior week, however when I started the pump to use the FW tank, tons of air. The pump would not shut off as it could not make pressure due to all the air. When we got home I drained and refilled the FW tank, drained all lines, and started up the pump again. No problems.

I have come down to two possible explanations:
1) some type of hyrdro-lock. The fact that the pump was dry and therefore had air in it, but the lines were full from city water, created a hyrdo-lock situation where back pressure in the lines was greater than what the pump could push through. Generally, the lines are dry as well when you first start the pump.
2) it was cold enough that the water pressure in the lines was greater than usual and caused a blockage the pump could not move.

My advice is drain your lines at the low point drain and basically start from scratch.

Also note - if the hot water heater is open and has air in it, it takes FOREVER to move all that air out.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump